Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 03:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,052,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
West Hartford quiet??? Were you in West Hartford Center or BLue Back Square? I cannot imagine you finding this area quiet unless you are comparing it to a major city like New York. If you thought West Hartford was quiet, you will find Hebron to be positively dead. It is much smaller with even less going on. Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yeah, are you sure you were in the center or Blue Back? Not really dead, packed on weekends. Hebron has NO life to it.
They're from Montreal. If they're comparing West Hartford -- even the center or Blue Back Square -- to downtown Montreal, then yes... it's much quieter. Not quite dead, but maybe sickly.

That's why, when they were initially talking about a "smaller town or city," I suggested West Hartford. For CT natives, it's not a really quiet town, but for a Montreal family, it's practically "country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM

21,632 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by between View Post
Kidyankee

i have heard cost of living is one of the highest in the country; in your opinion for a family of 4 what income will provide a good quality living? I know the more the better but will a 70K a year be enough? 50K? 90K?

thanks
It depends on your lifestyle.

If you want a 4br home and two reliable cars, and still be able to put food on the table, you're going to have a hard time in Connecticut living on 70k. If you're okay with renting an affordable apartment, or living in a condo, and live modestly (rarely eat out, etc), then you can get by on 70k.

For me - I like to take a vacation once a year, eat out once a week, and drive a nice car. We're a family of four and live in a four bedroom home. I'd guess our lifestyle requires at least 125-130k a year (before savings), and my town - cost of living wise - is about average for CT...maybe slightly above average.

A good lifestyle here doesn't come cheap by any stretch.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:55 AM

12 posts, read 29,708 times
I think I touched some nerves...Why are people suddenly all freaked-out about the word alternative..? I like quiet, that's why we're considering the country (but then you have more birds and crickets and frog noises at night). I also liked West Hartford. I just found that it wasn't very lively where we were. But, to be honest, with two young children and lots of looking at properties, schools, etc. I think we kind of missed the center. We did buy juice (very alternative, I know) at an area with lots of blue awnings. Was that the center? I come in PEACE.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 AM

21,778 posts, read 28,124,156 times
Here's a street view of the center: west hartford, ct - Google Maps

And Blue Back Square: west hartford, ct - Google Maps

Honestly, if you don't like WH, living IN Storrs is probably your next best bet. It's pretty liberal because of UCONN being there, and they are building a town center of sorts to benefit from the college population: http://www.storrscenter.com/

Old 05-24-2012, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It depends on your lifestyle.

If you want a 4br home and two reliable cars, and still be able to put food on the table, you're going to have a hard time in Connecticut living on 70k. If you're okay with renting an affordable apartment, or living in a condo, and live modestly (rarely eat out, etc), then you can get by on 70k.

For me - I like to take a vacation once a year, eat out once a week, and drive a nice car. We're a family of four and live in a four bedroom home. I'd guess our lifestyle requires at least 125-130k a year (before savings), and my town - cost of living wise - is about average for CT...maybe slightly above average.

A good lifestyle here doesn't come cheap by any stretch.

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,907,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeMoves View Post
I think I touched some nerves...Why are people suddenly all freaked-out about the word alternative..?
I certainly wasn't "freaked-out", just pondering the meaning of the term "alternative". In order to give advice, it's just helpful to understand what exactly someone is looking for when they say they are looking for an "alternative community". "Alternative" could have several different meanings.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:56 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,909,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeMoves View Post
I think I touched some nerves...Why are people suddenly all freaked-out about the word alternative..? I like quiet, that's why we're considering the country (but then you have more birds and crickets and frog noises at night). I also liked West Hartford. I just found that it wasn't very lively where we were. But, to be honest, with two young children and lots of looking at properties, schools, etc. I think we kind of missed the center. We did buy juice (very alternative, I know) at an area with lots of blue awnings. Was that the center? I come in PEACE.
I wasn't freaked out either. You misunderstand. If anything, I was extremely amused at the irony and non-relevance of the remark:
When it's all said and done, you want the same thing that "non-alternative" people (whatever that means) wants....somewhere safe, quiet, good schools, etc, with the notable exception of you hinting at a touch of discrimination and low tolerance for people that do not share your alternative (again, whatever that means) views.
When it's all said and done. The best place to be is one that is diversified - That means fat, skinny, black, white, poor, rich, democrat, republican, left, right, gay, straight, so you can raise a child with diverse views and opinions, and tolerance and respect for differences. That is not "alternative" or "non-alternative", but it's what you want, or should want.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I wasn't freaked out either. You misunderstand. If anything, I was extremely amused at the irony and non-relevance of the remark:
When it's all said and done, you want the same thing that "non-alternative" people (whatever that means) wants....somewhere safe, quiet, good schools, etc, with the notable exception of you hinting at a touch of discrimination and low tolerance for people that do not share your alternative (again, whatever that means) views.
When it's all said and done. The best place to be is one that is diversified - That means fat, skinny, black, white, poor, rich, democrat, republican, left, right, gay, straight, so you can raise a child with diverse views and opinions, and tolerance and respect for differences. That is not "alternative" or "non-alternative", but it's what you want, or should want.
I think this post:

Quote:
...or nudists maybe...or swingers/partner swapping sex thing, who knows. But the most radical/aternative thing I can see in his requirements are "healthy eating". Wow that's alternative.
"anti-war", well I have yet to see a person that is pro-war - holding up signs saying "I'm for armed conflicts, let's invade Canada for fun".

was not only a little rude, but strange.

I can see where/why the OP is confused.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:03 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,909,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I can see where/why the OP is confused.
Your comments are unwarranted. The OP wasn't confused, nor did he indicate confusion...we (or at least myself and the previous poster) were by his requirements listed on the original post. From that clarification, we would be better able to help him.
The OP also did not indicate that any post was rude, only you did. If he needs me to explain that they were in jest (although I think that is clear, and he seemed to pick up on the playful nature of my post in his response by commenting on the "juice") I will explain it to him, not you.
Take your non-alternative views somewhere else sir! (yes that's in jest as well)

Last edited by Dd714; 05-25-2012 at 07:11 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Your comments are unwarranted. The OP wasn't confused, nor did he indicate confusion...we (or at least myself and the previous poster) were.
He also did not indicate that any post was rude, only you did. If he needs me to explain that they were in jest I will explain it to him, not you.
The OP interpreted your comments as being 'freaked-out'. You indicated you were not 'freaked-out'. That's confusion; or perhaps at the least, misinterpretation.

I indicated your post was rude; correct. It's also a little far fetched and off base. That being said, I'm unaware of there being, in the TOS, an ordinance against users other than the OP expressing an opinion. I require no explanation from you, as my response was not an inquiry.

Quote:
From that clarification, we would be better able to help him.
Where have you assisted a poster in this forum previously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut