Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 PM

21,773 posts, read 28,124,156 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about this theater?

It's been vacant for so long. It seems like a no-brainer in that prime location to renovate and use for concerts. Like the Palace in Waterbury.

The Shubert has some bands but is not really set up for it and their focus is musicals. From what I understand, the Palace was a movie theater at one point and then became a performing arts stage and shut down a while ago when downtown wasn't doing so well?

New Haven could definitely accomodate more national touring music. It just doesn't have a world class stage/space. Toad's is a bit of a dive and not big enough, the Shubert is mostly musicals. Seems like a good opportunity.

All I could find via Google was this little excerpt from the New Haven Wikipedia page:
Quote:
The shuttered Palace Theatre (oppostite the Shubert Theater) was rumored to being re-opened in 2008, but new development there is on hold.
Anyone know who owns it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 05:47 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,978,788 times
The Palace was formerly a movie theatre known as the Roger Sherman Theatre. I think there is just not enough of a market for it to reopen right across the street from the Shubert. Yes, the Palace in Waterbury holds concerts, but it also hosts many musical and other shows just as the Shubert does. The New Haven Palace and the Shubert would have to compete against each other which would not be sustainable.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
The Palace was formerly a movie theatre known as the Roger Sherman Theatre. I think there is just not enough of a market for it to reopen right across the street from the Shubert. Yes, the Palace in Waterbury holds concerts, but it also hosts many musical and other shows just as the Shubert does. The New Haven Palace and the Shubert would have to compete against each other which would not be sustainable.
Theaters don't really geographically compete on a hyper local level since they're destinations where you buy a ticket to see a specific show and then travel to fulfill it. It's not like putting shops or restaurants next to each other where you have to worry about walking traffic.

The Palace in Waterbury lacks in something that New haven has in spades: the younger demographic. Right now the Shubert mainly serves families and an older crowd. A theater with younger/hipper marketing (think Hammerstein Ballroom, Beacon Theater, or any of the Bowery Presents theaters, etc in NYC) that draws national touring bands could seriously pull from the immense college-aged, twenty and thirtysomething population in a 30 mile radius.

Last edited by Stylo; 03-17-2012 at 06:18 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 PM

158 posts, read 199,299 times
Default Palace Theater - I agree

I agree it would be ideal to be concert hall once again.
Agreed, that New Haven is more and more a magnet for 20 and 30 somethings and would have more to draw from then it did during it's last incarnation.

Probably with that 2008 rumor was when New Haven Independent was reporting that workers were in there doing early stage clearing pre-renovation and the word was that Toad's Place was going to be purchasing or running it. Obviously, whatever was going on fell through.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 AM

627 posts, read 1,059,271 times
The Klein Auditorium in Bridgeport is another example of this kind of theater:
Klein Memorial Auditorium | Home

I'm not sure what the story is there... It's a nice venue but the schedule is extremely sparse, maybe 2-3 shows a month, and mostly aimed at an older audience. I saw Ben Folds there and it was quite nice but nothing else on the schedule interested me in the slightest.

As far as the Palace, it does seem like there is space for a larger venue in New Haven. Toad's Place maxes out at around 750 people, while Webster Theater in Hartford is 1200.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:38 AM

627 posts, read 1,059,271 times
Coincidentally, just saw this story:
Shubert Sparkles While Neighbor Stays Dark | New Haven Independent

Quote:
The occasion was an aldermanic briefing Monday night on and about New Haven’s venerable Shubert stage. James had another theater on her mind: The old Palace, directly across College Street. It’s been closed for years. James wanted to know the latest on the building.

John Fisher, the Shubert’s executive director, said his outfit had looked into buying the Palace several years ago, but it didn’t work out. Then the pipes burst in the Palace, mold has taken over, and rehabbing the space would now require over $20 million. That doesn’t mean the Shubert won’t try to take the project on in the future, Fisher said. It’s just a matter of money and timing.
Does not look positive.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 PM

Wow. That's a shame. Neglected for sure. I still think a good theater holding company like The Bowery Presents could rehab it and do it right.

Last edited by Stylo; 03-23-2012 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut