Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,812 times

Advertisements

If I had the time I would find the exemption for police. I know it's there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 05:51 AM

260 posts, read 388,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
AnnieCT- are you serious !!! In one breath you're saying you hold your kid responsible- in the next, you're trying to deflect her behavior by blaming the state, the police, etc. And you still admit you wanted her to get out of paying the ticket.

Learn to be an effective parent- remind she was an idiot and was wrong, wrong , wrong. Tell her she deserves to pay every penny of that fine on her own.

Remind her that if the police are being careless, doesn't mean she has to.
As someone who has had a family member seriously injured in an accident caused by a fool on a phone, remind her just why the law is in effect.

Seems to me you both need an attitude adjustment.
Please, save the drama for another poster. The title of the thread was not "parenting advise wanted". I asked a question. I now have the answer. She paid the fine. No one is blaming the police for enforcing the law. With regard to the law however, if it is on the books, it should be uniformly followed. I find it hard to believe that the police are conducting "business" during many of the lengthy calls I have observed. With regard to the state; This is the state that just passed the medical marijuana law. Many of the conditions are not "disabling" so many of those people with those conditions will be perfectly able to drive. (HIV, Crohns's Disease, glaucoma, etc) Cell phones are now such a "threat" but stoned drivers behind the wheel are just fine. Why not just remove the passenger seats from cars, and close the drive in windows of fast food joints. Eating, talking to a passenger, kids in the back seat, adjusting the radio, are all distracting. Heck, just make everyone walk.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
AnnieCT you need to get your head out of the sand and stop the anti-establishment conspiracy rhetoric. "Driving under the influence" is "driving under the influence," whether the influential drug is legal or illegal. Impaired driving does not exclude legally prescribed medications. If you are prescribed a pain med (such as percoset) for a legitimate medical reason (surgery on your gums yesterday) then you STILL shouldn't be driving.

If you're smoking dope at home, you -still- shouldn't get behind the wheel of a car when you're stoned, even if you have legal permission to smoke it. You do NOT have legal permission to drive under the influence. You are legally allowed to drink alcohol when you're 21 years old. And yet, you can be arrested, lose your license, and even be jailed, if you are found to be driving while drunk.

You're annoyed because your daughter *got caught* doing something wrong. You don't even sound upset that your daughter disobeyed the law - only that she got caught.

If it bothers you that much, then teach your daughter how to not get caught. Don't blame the police for actually doing their job.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
AnnieCT you need to get your head out of the sand and stop the anti-establishment conspiracy rhetoric. "Driving under the influence" is "driving under the influence," whether the influential drug is legal or illegal. Impaired driving does not exclude legally prescribed medications. If you are prescribed a pain med (such as percoset) for a legitimate medical reason (surgery on your gums yesterday) then you STILL shouldn't be driving.

If you're smoking dope at home, you -still- shouldn't get behind the wheel of a car when you're stoned, even if you have legal permission to smoke it. You do NOT have legal permission to drive under the influence. You are legally allowed to drink alcohol when you're 21 years old. And yet, you can be arrested, lose your license, and even be jailed, if you are found to be driving while drunk.

You're annoyed because your daughter *got caught* doing something wrong. You don't even sound upset that your daughter disobeyed the law - only that she got caught.

If it bothers you that much, then teach your daughter how to not get caught. Don't blame the police for actually doing their job.
+rep for you

Old 05-05-2012, 04:15 PM

260 posts, read 388,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I think you need to re read the first post. I asked a simple question. Does the fine need to be paid or can it be contested by demonstrating that you bought a bluetooth. The answer is no, so there is no point in pursuing that avenue. You have no idea if I am upset with my daughter or not. I haven't told you and I don't intend to. That is between her and I.
With regard to DUI, one knows the alcohol content in 2 beers. 15 tokes on a joint? No way to measure that. That is hardly "anti establishment conspiracy rhetoric". I have no doubt that there will be a lot more DUIs after someone is injured or killed from the new pot law; which btw is against Federal law. There may be worse, legal substances on the road than a cell phone.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,181 times
I would like to point out that AnnieCt asked a simple question which, incidentally, was never answered. Instead, AnnieCt received sermon upon sermon from those one feels have never committed any "offense" against the state. I would like to know the answer to his question and I would also like to warn those who so freely and generously gave their unasked for advice to try and get some perspective.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:55 PM

6 posts, read 6,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCt View Post
I returned my daughter's call and she answered her cellphone while driving. She promptly hung up but a cop saw her and gave her a ticket for a first offense, $125. Has anyone been successful pleading not guilty, demonstrating they have bought a blue tooth or asking for a reduced fine if they go to court, or should she just pay it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfghjkl33 View Post
I would like to point out that AnnieCt asked a simple question which, incidentally, was never answered. Instead, AnnieCt received sermon upon sermon from those one feels have never committed any "offense" against the state. I would like to know the answer to his question and I would also like to warn those who so freely and generously gave their unasked for advice to try and get some perspective.
She should just pay it. Question answered. Happy?

Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfghjkl33 View Post
The OP asked if she should plead not guilty, or pay it. Many of us have answered - pay it. Don't like the answer? Don't ask the question.

As for your question - you're guilty. Pay up. Hang up and drive.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:11 AM

267 posts, read 448,255 times
In Florida you are "allowed" to use your phone while driving.. you can get a ticket but only as a secondary offense. You have to be pulled over for sonething else first... that is BS to the max. Im so glad CT is cracking down!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,553 times
Default cell phone ticket in CT

I got caught yesterday while using cell phone and charged 150 dollar fine. This is my first ticket in 11 years of any kind. I generally use blue tooth device but my bad I had to make an international call emergency basis real quick and got caught. Agree it is my fault and not trying to escape but rather looking for some reduction in fee. Also wondering would there be any points for this? I live in CT. If I go to court and if they upheld the decision would there be more court fee( does any one know how much) and also would they impose the point becos I go to court?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut