Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 PM

37 posts, read 87,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Hey if he was single, I'd say go for it, live the high life while you can, before you're saddled with responsibilities. But his income is based on himself -and- his wife (see the other thread), and it is not prudent, in this economy, in this state, to put two lives at risk for what *currently* amounts to a long-term temp job. What moves him further in his career, might move his wife further back - or it might move her out of a job entirely. And then, they'll be living in Greenwich, on the income of only one of them, at somewhat less than their combined income is now (neither of us - none of us - knows what either of them are making individually - we only know that combined, it's approx. $175k/year before taxes)

It is not a good investment in one's self, to squander your money for the sake of luxury or convenience, when you can be less convenienced, and comfortably accommodated, and save your money for when that long-term temp job ends, nearby for half the price.
Fantastic advice, very well said. The break down is I'll be making roughly 125-135k and my wife, who is a teacher, will make between 40-50k. Her career should not be affected by a move, we're thankful for that.

This will be a step forward for me immensely, and after my time there I will have the experience and opportunity to take a bigger step forward.

I've also been considering New Brunswick, seems like a happy medium?

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshygt View Post
Fantastic advice, very well said. The break down is I'll be making roughly 125-135k and my wife, who is a teacher, will make between 40-50k. Her career should not be affected by a move, we're thankful for that.

This will be a step forward for me immensely, and after my time there I will have the experience and opportunity to take a bigger step forward.

I've also been considering New Brunswick, seems like a happy medium?

Thanks again.
Teaching jobs are VERY hard to come by here... Especially in Fairfield County which pays well and, in general, has excellent schools. Have you investigated opportunities for her to work in teaching?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Teaching jobs are VERY hard to come by here... Especially in Fairfield County which pays well and, in general, has excellent schools. Have you investigated opportunities for her to work in teaching?
We've noticed a difficulty finding a teaching job in CT, but have faced the same challenge in FL and all over the eastern seaboard. We have a few tricks up our sleeves but we're hoping for the best. At the present time, she does not have work secured neither there or here, so either move is a win.

We have found NJ may have more opportunities for teachers, but I never follow the saying "grass is greener on the other side".

Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
You should probably look into Stamford too. It's still a decent commute and rents are a little cheaper than Greenwich, and rentals are more abundant. It's more urban than you mentioned but there are plenty of non-urban neighborhoods.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:37 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshygt View Post
We've noticed a difficulty finding a teaching job in CT, but have faced the same challenge in FL and all over the eastern seaboard. We have a few tricks up our sleeves but we're hoping for the best. At the present time, she does not have work secured neither there or here, so either move is a win.

We have found NJ may have more opportunities for teachers, but I never follow the saying "grass is greener on the other side".
Joshy, I'm a numbers kinda gal and the numbers aren't with you on this one. The prudent operating premise is that Mrs. Joshy will be unemployed for the duration.

NY, NJ and CT are all swimming in unemployed teachers who are local. "Getting in" means you have to be certified in the state to begin with, and then you have to cozy up to the various principals so that they know you well enough to give you an opportunity to contend against locals for part time sub positions. That takes a couple of years on its own, and part time subs make maybe $150/day, let's say, two days a week. Not enough to make up the difference between your actual $130K and your projection of $175K. Town budgets are not increasing in pace with current contract raises, which means to stay within the budget, a certain number of teacher contracts not renewed every year. This has been happening since 2008, and no signs of reversal soon. The demographics are such that enrollments are declining in the wealthier towns - over the past five years, many people of parenting age have either postponed having children or have had fewer of them, than in the boom years. Inner city enrollments are increasing (of course - the taxpayers pay for them).

$130K for working in NYC is - I am sorry to say it - not sound like enough to make the move very lucrative for you. You will be looking at NY city tax, NY State tax, CT income tax, $300/mo on commuter train, and I don't know how much for parking passes. Gas is over $4 a gallon, and electric rates are the highest in the nation. If you were thinking to make bank, doing this for 3-5 years, I'd re-examine. OTOH, if this is from the POV of experience etc, what the hay - they tell me you can't take it with you, lol!

It would be quite an adventure. If it were me (I know it's not), I'd put my stuff in storage, rent a tiny place in the least expensive area possible (for you - not talking tenement slum, I'm talking 1 BR in New Brunswick rather than house in Greenwich), and stay mindful of every penny. But that's just me, YMMV.

Best to you, whatever you decide.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Joshy, I'm a numbers kinda gal and the numbers aren't with you on this one. The prudent operating premise is that Mrs. Joshy will be unemployed for the duration.

NY, NJ and CT are all swimming in unemployed teachers who are local. "Getting in" means you have to be certified in the state to begin with, and then you have to cozy up to the various principals so that they know you well enough to give you an opportunity to contend against locals for part time sub positions. That takes a couple of years on its own, and part time subs make maybe $150/day, let's say, two days a week. Not enough to make up the difference between your actual $130K and your projection of $175K. Town budgets are not increasing in pace with current contract raises, which means to stay within the budget, a certain number of teacher contracts not renewed every year. This has been happening since 2008, and no signs of reversal soon. The demographics are such that enrollments are declining in the wealthier towns - over the past five years, many people of parenting age have either postponed having children or have had fewer of them, than in the boom years. Inner city enrollments are increasing (of course - the taxpayers pay for them).

$130K for working in NYC is - I am sorry to say it - not sound like enough to make the move very lucrative for you. You will be looking at NY city tax, NY State tax, CT income tax, $300/mo on commuter train, and I don't know how much for parking passes. Gas is over $4 a gallon, and electric rates are the highest in the nation. If you were thinking to make bank, doing this for 3-5 years, I'd re-examine. OTOH, if this is from the POV of experience etc, what the hay - they tell me you can't take it with you, lol!

It would be quite an adventure. If it were me (I know it's not), I'd put my stuff in storage, rent a tiny place in the least expensive area possible (for you - not talking tenement slum, I'm talking 1 BR in New Brunswick rather than house in Greenwich), and stay mindful of every penny. But that's just me, YMMV.

Very good points. We do understand that as a teacher playing the political game is key so we weren't expecting to move and poof have a job for her. She's been researching the certifications and they seem pretty straight forward.

Based on what we're finding out, it seems renting a nice/safe, upscale apartment/condo is the way to go. Only a little bit less than a house but far more advantages.

I'm a bean counter too so I'm all about your reply! What do you think is the best possible option if we had to move only for my job and we're stuck at my income of 125-130k per year? Assuming she can't land a job very quickly - which we all know will be difficult.

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:47 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I'd take a job in NYC at $130k, especially if it was a good opp.

And I thought you don't pay city tax if you don't live in NYC.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:08 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post

Jane - There is more to this decision than strictly the numbers. By no means will the OP be struggling at that income level, with or without his wife's income. Choosing a place ot live should be more than just numbers. If people only cared about costs then everyone would be living in a rat hole somewhere near where they work. Life is too short for that. I am not saying they should spen dmore than they can afford but there is nothing wrong with living in a nice neighborhood if you can afford it.

Joshy - I word caution you about living in New Jersey and commuting into New York. Places like Jersey City are easy but get from New Brunswick to Manhattan may be tougher than you think. Look carefully at the train schedules and the number of changes you need to make to get where you need to be. Plus I will say New Brunswick is not Greenwich or even close. You really should not be comparing the two. Definitely apples and oranges. Jay

Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Finally someone who tells it like it is when it comes to FFC. I'm sure Jay will reply to this thread about how wonderful the quality-of-life is there, however.
I don't have to. The free economy we have says it all. There are a lot of people will to spend a lot of money to live in southwest Connecticut. That is why prices are what they are. Plain and simple. Jay

Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Jane - There is more to this decision than strictly the numbers. By no means will the OP be struggling at that income level, with or without his wife's income. Choosing a place ot live should be more than just numbers. If people only cared about costs then everyone would be living in a rat hole somewhere near where they work. Life is too short for that. I am not saying they should spen dmore than they can afford but there is nothing wrong with living in a nice neighborhood if you can afford it.

Joshy - I word caution you about living in New Jersey and commuting into New York. Places like Jersey City are easy but get from New Brunswick to Manhattan may be tougher than you think. Look carefully at the train schedules and the number of changes you need to make to get where you need to be. Plus I will say New Brunswick is not Greenwich or even close. You really should not be comparing the two. Definitely apples and oranges. Jay
Based on what I'm learning about New Brunswick, I'm thinking CT may still be a better option even with a slightly increased cost of living. Safety for my wife and I is the first and foremost of importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut