Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 08:13 AM

17 posts, read 164,055 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me the inside scoop on which elementary schools are the best in Westport & Fairfield, CT?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Both Westport and Fairfield have excellent schools. Unlike other parts of the country where they have large school districts and individual schools can have very different educational results, Connecticut schools systems are small and the curriculum and standards fairly uniform. Because both of these towns have such highly rated systems, it is fair to say any of the public schools are good. Towns like these would just not tolerate poor performance.

A number of people on these Boards recommend checking greatschools.com and you could check the Connecticut Mastery Test results for schools in these towns. I would though note that having the highest scores however does not necessarily mean your children will get the best education. It most likely means that the demographics of the school are less blue-collar and less diverse than others.

We live in an upscale suburb of Hartford (one of the mst desirable in the area) and my kids attend the school with the lowest score in town. The area we live in is more diverse than other parts of town. What this means is that my kids are making friends with children of different cultures and background. They are seeing that not everyones mom and dad are able to give them everything they want or live in a large house. I like to think they will be a little more appreciative of what they have because of this. Maybe I am wrong but I like to think this anyway. JMHO Jay

Old 09-25-2007, 07:21 AM

66 posts, read 346,888 times
Joel Barlow in Redding/Weston is the best in the state followed by Wilton, Warde in Fairfield and Staples in Westport are no slouches however.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:45 PM

7 posts, read 35,319 times
I agree with JayCT. Your kid has less of a chance of turning out to be selfish and close minded if he or she doesn't go to school with just rich white children. They will also be more in touch with the world and their true interests. Snobs generally are not truly happy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut