Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times

Advertisements

I just arrived back home from a 2-day trip to Maine (ME) and I am quite happy to be back. This thread is about comparing CT with ME.

First, I thought ME was kind of overrated. I mean, it's nice, but I found the scenery to be too rugged for my tastes. I spent the entire time on the southwestern coastal area, Portland, Freeport, etc. The state has a weathered appearance and doesn't look as clean and manicured as CT. I think CT has much nicer scenery and terrain, with denser forests and much deeper greenery. The forestry in ME appears to be somewhat less dense and for some reason the types of trees don't look as green as they do in CT. Also, the coast is too rugged and rocky, which I don't like. ME was also significantly slower paced than CT. I do like this, but I found it a bit hard to adapt, strangely. I wanted to walk faster than other people around me, and I wanted to drive faster than the people in front of me, which were going WAY too slow, in numerous occasions.

Second, ME is much colder than CT. I couldn't believe it. I was wearing shorts with the AC on in CT when it was 78 degrees, but by the time I got up to ME, it was 65 degrees and I had the heat on low in my car. Absolutely ridiculous. The weather is colder and more clammy, which was a turn off. CT is warmer and the sun shines brighter.

Third, the men in ME aren't as attractive as men in CT. Not that CT men are particularly attractive, but the men in ME tended to be more overweight and most of them have this stupid beard and hat thing going on. Total turn off.

When leaving ME, I decided to drive along U.S. 1 the ENTIRE trip from Portland all the way to Stonington, CT, instead of using interstate highways. I learned a lot in doing so. ME and NH were somewhat podunk in appearance and had a cold, clammy atmosphere in general. Then, I drove through MA and it was nicer, but I don't know...it still has a weathered appearance to it. The people seem quite obnoxious, too. Then....

I drove through RI, which was a genuinely horrible experience, at least in the greater Providence area. The route signage is TERRIBLE. I got lost like 5 times trying to stay on U.S. 1 due to lack of signage telling me which way to go. It was a nightmare, but I eventually figured it out (multiple times, at that ). Not to mention, the quality of the roads are horrendous and are in dire need of resurfacing. There are potholes, cracks and warps all over the place. I also want to add that RI overall seems like a dump. It just seems like it has an unusually high population of white trash and ghetto element. Seriously...almost looks like a third world country in many areas. Southern RI was pretty nice though.

Then, I entered CT and wow, just wow. The roads are AMAZING now. The highways are in excellent condition, with excellent signage and the state has an overall MUCH cleaner appearance. Roads have recently been resurface, lawns are mowed and people seem to take care of their properties much better. Low-lives seem to be concentrated only in select areas here and there.

So, now that I have been to all 6 New England states, IMO, the nicest ones are CT and VT. But even much of VT appears weathered, depressed, and it's also much colder.

Last edited by nep321; 06-02-2012 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 09:46 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Sometimes you need to take a step away to realize what you have. I think you now can appreciate all that Connecticut has to offer.

I did laugh at your comment on the lack of highway signs in Rhode Island. I agree they are horrible. I could never understand how a state like RI could be so (dare I say it) backwards when it is wedged between Massachusetts and Connecticut. Jay

Old 06-02-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sometimes you need to take a step away to realize what you have. I think you now can appreciate all that Connecticut has to offer.

I did laugh at your comment on the lack of highway signs in Rhode Island. I agree they are horrible. I could never understand how a state like RI could be so (dare I say it) backwards when it is wedged between Massachusetts and Connecticut. Jay
Well so far I've been to 25 states and have been contemplating a move to another state for about four years now, but I can't seem to nail down that better state. Of course, I still have yet to visit the other 25 states. But based on all of the states I've been to (everything east of the Mississippi River, except WI, IN and MI; and AZ and TX), although they have various attributes that are better than CT, there is always at least one serious deal breaker that prevents it from being a better place to live overall. But who knows, I still have to explore more out west.

Even so, I don't believe that CT is the ideal place to live for someone who is young, gay and single. The state overall is quite family oriented and lacking 20-somethings, making people like me feel a bit out of place. The bulk of the young, gay and singles live in New Haven or Hartford, which are not desirable cities to live in IMO, so those are deal breakers to begin with! Or perhaps I'm putting too much thought into the situation. But still, I'm already 28 yo now and hesitant to buy a home in CT because my intuition says DON'T DO IT!

Old 06-03-2012, 05:41 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Seriously, this isn't a joke? I've never read a more subjective review in all my life. How can you compare weather without monitoring both places on a consistent basis? Southern Maine is not that far off from CT, I hate to tell you.

Glad you made the trip, but you obviously don't get Maine, and judging by your comments are not Maine material. Portland is a great small city that sadly can teach CT cities a thing or two. I find the way of life, the people and area a breath of fresh air.

I personally enjoy the rugged coast much more than here. Sitting at Two Lights state park watching big rollers come in and smash the granite cliffs is something you will never experience in CT. You also have plenty of non rugged coast. Did you even stop by the French Canadian Riviera? Old Orchard Beach?

The one thing I will agree with you on, is crossing back into CT from both RI and MA the roads are much better.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:50 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
You absolutely cannot judge RI by what you see from Rte 95!! The best areas are no where near Rte 95. Huge mistake.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:34 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,763 times
The OP is satire, right?

Old 06-03-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You absolutely cannot judge RI by what you see from Rte 95!! The best areas are no where near Rte 95. Huge mistake.
I said that I didn't even use I-95. Instead, I drove along U.S. 1 the entire length within RI. I've been to the Newport area, which is beautiful, and some parts of southern and northwestern RI, which are also nice. But the greater Providence area is kind of dumpy looking to me. Numerous buildings in dire need of rehabilitation, horrible roads and weeds everywhere. And a few too many hoodies walking the streets. The coastal areas of RI are definitely nice though.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:25 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,489 times
[quote=nep321;24579595] And a few too many hoodies walking the streets. The coastal areas of RI are definitely nice though.[/Q
UOT

Are those the "few too many low lifes" you spoke of in your other response???.. If they bother you so much, why not just shoot them? I hear that works great down south... That way they wont burn your retina anymore...

Now THATS satire...

Old 06-03-2012, 08:31 AM

156 posts, read 278,158 times
Lol @ this post.

I do remember thinking that people in CT were better looking than anywhere else I've lived.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:40 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Reading some posts in this thread, no wonder why people think everyone in CT is a snob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut