Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:46 PM

6 posts, read 9,107 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have been house hunting for the past 2 months and am extremely frustrated. I'm hoping someone could give me some advice or tips. I have been renting in Bridgeport for the past 10 years. I am looking in Bridgeport, Ansonia, Stratford, Naugatuck and other towns around the valley area. I would prefer to get out of Bridgeport. I am single with no kids.

I'm looking for something in the $200k range or lower. I'm planning to put down around 100k down payment.
My only criteria is it must have at least a 2 car garage, be in a fairly quiet area and not need major repairs. And I am hoping to get a good deal of course. I'm not concerned about cosmetics or light repairs.

I am using a realtor who is nice but not real helpful either. My sources are mainly Realtor.com, Zillow and my realtor sends me new MLS listings.

My frustration is, I see very few new listings and most of the homes that are priced right are already under deposit or sold before I can see it. Most of the houses I've looked at are overpriced or need repairs which would exceed the house value. I won't get into all the grossly misleading descriptions in some listings. I have not been looking at foreclosures at all as I am clueless about the whole process.

My realtor says the inventory is the same as 6 years ago. I am very anxious to move. Do I just need to be patient and keep looking? Is there some secret to seeing the more desirable new listings that I'm missing?
Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 01:55 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,556 times
My first suggestion is to look at houses that are listed somewhat above your price range and then offer what you can afford. "Asking price" is just that... Also, are you considering condos? Seems like there might be a good option for you there, but you have to factor in the HOA fee of course.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:29 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
I think the biggest hang-up for you is going to be finding that 2(+) car garage. But since you have such a good(100K) downpayment, perhaps you should consider looking at properties ~mid 100's that don't have a garage, but have the room to build it?

Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 PM

I've been looking at up to 250k price. I see higher price homes that are sitting for a long time. I guess I could make offers, but I don't want to insult people. I have no experience with this. I'm not looking at condos, just houses.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:43 PM

I've considered building my own garage. Would be a lot easier to find a house that has one. I can't build it myself and would have to pay for the construction.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Move in condition
Two Car Garage
Less than 225K
Naugy...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M41166-65565

What's wrong with this one? If you're really, really picky you have to be patient. My partner and I aren't picky, and found our place in two weekends... And we still love it.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:14 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
There are 24 houses with 2 car garages under $ 200,000 for sale in Derby, Stratford, Ansonia, Naugatuck. If you go a bit higher to say $ 250,000, then there are 66 houses.

What you have to keep in mind is that under $ 200,000 is the bottom of the market. The bottom of the market always has difficult homes, that's way it's the bottom. These will be the homes needing lots of updating, in not so great areas, the smallest homes, those with strange floor plans, etc. These are what are usually known as " starter homes".

Your requirement for a 2 car garage will be a big hindrance. Sometimes desire has to meet reality. If that's an absolute necessity, then you may have to up your bottom line a little. I'd go a little higher in price and then make an offer. Don't worry about insulting any one, one of three things will happen, they will counter offer, accept your offer or just ignore your offer. But the sky won't fall down.

Have you looked at these two homes ? 83 Jewett St. Ansonia or 488 Horton Hill Rd. Naugatuck. These are newer homes, so maybe won't need lots of work.

Good luck

Old 08-19-2012, 03:45 PM

Alright, maybe I am being too picky. The house in the link is quite nice. It's a bit more than I need as a single person, also looks like the nicest house on the street. I guess I should start looking a little higher.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:06 PM

I tend to not like most houses built after the 1960s. Just my taste though.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:10 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Have you looked into the East Haven area? There are a lot of nice, quiet neighborhoods where you can probably find what you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut