Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,415 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are first time home buyers, in the Hartford [CT] area set to close at the end of October. With the inspection done, and waiting for the response of said inspection by sellers, my wife and I were contemplating the possibilities of finishing the basement of this home. The basement is the standard, early 50's drab cave, of course, I forgret the sq. ft. of the basement but our dillema is this, what kind of permit[s] will we need to frame and finish the basement (sans bathroom but including a laundry area) and would it cost an arm and a leg just in permits and inspections, alone, before the project even starts and/or end? What or where excatly do I look under to get info on my subject of finished basement permit/codes and/or what have you? I've seen pretty bad situations where friends of mine were fined and/or asked to take down
unsubstantiated finished basements because of lack of permits, also I wouldn't ask there advice on such matters, either. I never want to go this route. Can anyone help to guide us through proper channels/avenues? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 AM

48 posts, read 82,544 times
The building fees will probably add up. One thing you also have to remember is that your property taxes will go up if you finish a basement. As somebody who has worked for city government my advice is to NEVER EVER build without proper permits. You will get completely screwed in the end from either the government or your insurance company. Also, you will get caught because when you sell the house the plans will get reviewed and any buyer would be crazy to buy a house without proper permits, although many people do.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 AM

625 posts, read 2,050,124 times
Call the town building department where you are buying, each town is different. They can give you the exact specifics based on the work you're proposing to do. Usually to pull a permit it's $100 and then an additional $25 for every estimated $1000 of work. It's not hugely expensive, often the contractor will even do it for you. Just make sure they get closed out at the various stages and at the end of the job. Pulling permits will give you peace of mind and help you for resale (less legal issues) down the line. Your homeowner's insurance provider would potentially (most likely) require they be pulled as well.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:15 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
I suggest taking a walk inside local town hall. Find the building department and casually discuss what your thinking of doing and ask what they need from you.

They will want blueprints or a drawing of layout.
There will be permit fees including plumbing & electrical at start.
Then once the frame is up and roughin plumbing and electric, they have an inspector come check.
Then once its complete a final inspection will be served.

Then you can enjoy the finished basement and a higher tax bill...not to mention a higher insurance bill.

I've dealt with homes that were never filed and the fee the owners got hit with was TINY compared to the savings of not paying higher taxes over many many years...but I dont recommend not filing

oh...and dont forget...SMOKE DETECTORS and Carbon Monixide...I suggest looping them with the upstairs

Old 09-24-2011, 08:15 PM

856 posts, read 2,014,866 times
Def. call the building/zoning clerk for your town and find out...town websites sometimes have info too. Usually varying degrees if you will have plumbing and foundation work.

I would suggest living in the home for at least a year (unless you're buying a home you have already known for a year...from family or friends)...you never know if a basement is going to spring a leak (if it has a sump-pump just forget it all together). Even if it's dry now and appears dry...remember...they knew they were selling...if they had a water problem them would make it go away...and the process of making it go away could be a temporary repair.

As far as finished basements...depending on size...if you can get away only finishing half and leaving outer wall access to 2 sides of the finished area...you'll luck out if there's ever a leak or a need to check on the foundation walls. Also make sure the utility areas (electrical panel, furnace, water heater) have enough ventilation space and space for replacement when the time comes (no tight doorways).

Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,777,868 times
If you're doing it yourself, and really know what you're doing, you can risk doing it unpermitted. It's done all the time. In West Hartford, seems like most basements and attics have been finished unpermitted, and the town building inspectors/assessors remain blissfully unaware - after all, they'd have to actually get out of the car and look in the basement windows to see - and so, most homes with finished basements fly below the radar of the town, with assessments listing unfinished basements. Even when busybody neighbors report it, the town does nothing. You'll save yourself lots in taxes over the rest of your time in the home. In reality, virtually no one refuses to buy a house because of an unpermitted basement, or renovated kitchen, or bathroom, or replaced roof, etc. However, if there are open permits, it's another story completely.

If the building inspector catches you at it, you could get fined, and have to rip it out to allow inspections. But unless someone turns you in, or you have a dumpster outside, and the town officials notice it, and investigate, it's unlikely you'll get caught.

That being said, when my spouse finished the basement himself on our house, he did permit it. He actually got a lot of useful advice from the building inspector, and he can sleep at night not worrying about running afoul of the town laws.

If you're hiring a pro, they have to pull a permit. They'd be risking their license if they didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut