Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,688 times

Advertisements

I am currently in St. Louis, MO and will be moving to Norwalk, CT this weekend.

Problem is (call me stupid/ignorant/whatever) I just bought a used car from a dealer with 30-day temp tags under the impression that I could drive to CT and directly register the vehicle there. I confirmed this with the dealer. But when I called the CT DMV they said its absolutely not possible unless the vehicle is already registered in Missouri.

Now, all of this would not be a big problem if I was not joining work soon. And the dealer says the title and other paperwork will take upto two weeks to arrive in the mail.

Here are my options:

1) Drive the car to CT this weekend, start work and fly back to STL in two weeks (was going to do that anyway) to register the vehicle in MO.

2) Fly to CT now and start work. Fly back to STL in two weeks, register/title the vehicle in MO before driving out to CT. This option would be less desirable in CT as I will need the car immediately to get around.

3) Maybe I did not explain the situation correctly to the CT DMV and I can in-fact register the vehicle directly there.

So here are my questions: Is the first option legal? Is the third option legal? Is the 2nd option my only option?

I'm a first time car buyer and am not American and did not know local laws all too well - the only things I can say in defense of my colossal stupidity.

Any timely help would quite genuinely be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 03:50 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,512 times
I'm not too sure since I dont drive, but hopefully we have someone here to help you out.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
I'm not too sure since I dont drive, but hopefully we have someone here to help you out.

Let's hope so. Thank you!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 AM

576 posts, read 1,219,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theprolix View Post
Let's hope so. Thank you!
You'er welcome

ps Welcome to Connecticut hope you enjoy your time here

Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
I'd call the DMV in CT again (Option 3), just in case there's an easier way, but I think that Option 1 sounds like a good plan, considering that you were going to make a trip to STL anyway.

As for legalities, I don't know, but you're talking about a two-week span and, fact is, you're allowed to drive an out-of-state registered car.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 AM

470 posts, read 1,666,249 times
People buy used cars out of state all the time then bring them to CT and register them. I think you need to talk to someone else at the DMV.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 AM

487 posts, read 537,477 times
I've purchased several vehicles from out of state and drove them back on temp registration and took care of the paperwork at DMV once back.

DMV: Registration of a Used Vehicle Previously Registered Out Of State

Old 09-08-2011, 04:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,691 times
Hello theprolix,
I have just recently had the same problem. The glitch is that the car has to be registered in the former state before you can transfer your papers(registration, plates, etc.) to CT. Then you have 30 days to register the car once you become a resident of CT. Check with the CT DMV though because in my situation I had to have the out-of-state car registered in that state for 30 days before switching plates. I'm not sure in your case though. Mine was a gift from a family member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut