Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 AM

190 posts, read 471,516 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on the new construction going on in Stamford on the corner of Washington and Tresser?? I found articles from 1-2 years ago stating it will be an apartment complex with first floor retail. Does anyone know if this is the plan and when it's expected to finish?

There are a few open lots back there as well, anyone know what the plan is with those?

Thanks,
TOPS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 AM

It was actually mentioned in the advocate yesterday that work has started, but no other details.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
Apartment living in Stamford is super popular, so as long as it isn't asking for Trump Tower prices, I think it will be successful. I am concerned of the commercial property on the ground floor; I have seen quite a few empty storefronts pop up throughout the last few years in downtown Stamford (obviously coinciding with the recession).

Once the market picks back up, I am sure those store fronts will be rented out like hot cakes. Great investment...just hope that the recession doesn't continue to linger for a further extended amount of time.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Depends on the type of stores. A little further up Washington, all those stores are closing, but they are run down and not really appealing to the new downtown Stamford market (young professionals). With the proximity to the train and bars/rest of downtown, this is a goldmine location. If I was a developer, I'd be doing anything I could to get something up on the lots next to RBS on Clinton Ave

Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 PM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Speaking of Trump prices, the Trump tower apartments are now starting at $400k-ish. I can only imagine how those that paid over $600k (that was the starting point) for their shoe-box with magnificent views must feel now.

And the lots along Clinton Ave, just north of RBS, are destined to become part of a new park that will follow the river from around the UConn garage (rumor has it that it too will be demolished, which leaves me wondering where exactly the students will park their cars) all the way down to the Sound. This project has been going on for quite a few years now at a turtle like pace. At least the part of the park between West Broad Street and Main Street (across the street from the Trump building) is currently being developed. By the looks of things, that part of the park should be done before the year is over, IMO.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:58 AM

Seems that everything in Stamford gets done at a snails pace. They have been working on the bridge on Tresser for close to 6 months.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:11 PM

22 posts, read 61,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
Seems that everything in Stamford gets done at a snails pace.
Not everything. to wit: Harbor Point which is rising like a pop up card. It's the difference between public and private construction.

Further information on the residences at the former site of the Advocate on Wash and Tress: they will be low rise, just five stories high, with the architecture of the Clinton Ave side more residential than the more industrial look of the Washington Blvd. side.

Some apartments, by city mandate, are set aside for lower income families.

The retail space in the two Washington Ave Towers is an absolute blight, as is the block across the street from the boutique Hotel Zero Degrees.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:24 PM

I don't get why someone isn't developing the area directly surrounding the train station. That is where people want to live!!

Close to public trans and the bars of downtown, best of both worlds.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
I don't get why someone isn't developing the area directly surrounding the train station. That is where people want to live!!

Close to public trans and the bars of downtown, best of both worlds.
Its moving from the water north. You can already see it along Canal street and at Harbor Point. I would guess that within 10 years the entire South End will be redevloped and gentrified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut