Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,349,409 times

Advertisements

Sounds to me like the school is letting the kids and the parents know that there is ZERO tolerance. And for the couple folks posting about the levels of bullying....it's sort of the same argument as a "little bit pregnant" Any bullying is too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 07:56 PM

21,781 posts, read 31,477,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sounds to me like the school is letting the kids and the parents know that there is ZERO tolerance.
Bingo.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:14 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,961,138 times
Quote:
Sounds to me like the school is letting the kids and the parents know that there is ZERO tolerance. And for the couple folks posting about the levels of bullying....it's sort of the same argument as a "little bit pregnant" Any bullying is too much.
So you are in favor of going straight to the police with any name-calling for the first time? Just not sure I'm following what you're saying.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:26 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,939,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
...until your kid is the one who is bullied.
Kids need to learn how to defend themselves, otherwise they'll grow up into dysfunctional adults. I don't have any kids, but its really common sense. If the parent refuses to teach their kid to defend themselves, to fight if necessary, that child will be at an incredible disadvantage later in life. The corporate world is full of bullies, as I'm sure many here know, better to learn to deal when young. However, I am for intervention by the school for really bad bullying as some children will not/cannot defend themselves and they need help.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:35 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,349,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
In my district calling the police would only be a last resort,such as if there was severe bullying. First they would likely use other forms of discipline. I just checked the student handbook which reads, " Therefore, all forms of bullying are not acceptable
behavior in this district and are prohibited. Students who engage in any act of bullying, including
Cyberbullying, are subject to discipline. This discipline may include loss of computer privileges,
detention, suspension, expulsion and/or referral to law enforcement officials".

I think that is pretty standard in many school districts across the country. The only reason I'd have a problem with a school for threatening to call the police is if they had no other form of discipline instead.
You're asking me??? Isn't this your post? You might speak to your child's school officials for any clarification you may need.

And, often by the time teachers notice it has gone well beyond the one time bullying situation. Easy peesy....Parents...."Kids, do not ever make fun of or let anyone else make fun of kids at school. You go report it to your Teacher, the Teacher on recess duty, the bus driver"... "Or your Nintendo, Your bedroom TV, your cell phone....Goes bye bye"

Last edited by JanND; 09-01-2012 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,961,138 times
Quote:
You're asking me??? Isn't this your post? You might speak to your child's school officials for any clarification you may need.
Um, I never asked for clarification of my post or my school's rules. In my school district children are punished according to the "level" of bullying, and you stated you disagreed with that. If you are going to post, please be aware that some people might ask for clarification of what you are saying.

And thank you for editing to clarify after I posted asking for clarification again, I almost missed your updated post. I'm still not sure of what sort of punishment you feel is necessary by the school for bullying, though. It's fine to have a zero-tolerance to bullying, but it's a grayer area in regards to the punishments, which brings me back to the "level" of bullying. I don't see the need for the police to be called because Johnny called Jimmy an idiot.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 09-01-2012 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: Responding to edited post

Old 09-01-2012, 07:33 AM

168 posts, read 276,640 times
Oh man, here come the Political Correct Nazi's again.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,188,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfman View Post
Oh man, here come the Political Correct Nazi's again.
What?

I am so sorry that Political Correctness has effected you ability to torture and bully other kids. I'm sure you're disappointed that your ability to abuse homosexuals is being curtailed.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:42 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,188,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Kids need to learn how to defend themselves, otherwise they'll grow up into dysfunctional adults.
I agree to an extent.

Quote:
The corporate world is full of bullies,
Perhaps if bullying were strongly discouraged and punished in childhood, it wouldn't be.

I am glad we're taking this seriously now.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:16 AM

21,781 posts, read 31,477,197 times
Quote:
Kids need to learn how to defend themselves, otherwise they'll grow up into dysfunctional adults. I don't have any kids, but its really common sense. If the parent refuses to teach their kid to defend themselves, to fight if necessary, that child will be at an incredible disadvantage later in life. The corporate world is full of bullies, as I'm sure many here know, better to learn to deal when young. However, I am for intervention by the school for really bad bullying as some children will not/cannot defend themselves and they need help.
I completely agree, however at some point, as you said, there needs to be intervention by the school. Unfortunately today, you can't rely on parents to do much of anything. That's just the world we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut