Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:42 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,627,276 times

Advertisements

I'm sure that accounts for some, yes - also many people don't have to go in everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
when i lived in Rockland County, NY I had a neighbor who commuted to New Haven; after many years they finally moved to Conn

Old 09-21-2012, 04:34 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
A completely different subject before I comment on the below, many of the Waterbury people who claim NYC commutes might be part of the growing Hasidic Jewish community there. Often the men in their (as they call it) "rural" communities work in NYC and the community has private buses that take them to and fro; this is very common in their other "rural" communities in Orange County, NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I wonder if these individuals rent in NYC but own in Litchfield County. Although they spend their work week in Manhattan, they still consider themselves "commuters" since they own out of state.
It almost certainly is; a lot of wealthy Manhattanites own weekend homes in Litchfield Co.

Also (and this applies to a lot of posts), there are quite a few people who only have to commute into Manhattan 1-3 days/week. Two common examples:

1) Management consultants - Often work from home and go in once/week for a "check in" meeting.

2) College professors - When my wife was in college in far upstate NY, she had a professor who was there 2 days/week and flew into NYC for the rest of the week. I also knew an NYU professor who lived in Bennington, VT 4 days/week but didn't work at the college those days (though he did a "distance learning" class he setup from his home). Regarding Bennington, are you sure you're not confusing NYC with Albany, NY? Albany to Bennington is about the same distance as NYC to Stamford and back when I lived up there for a few years about a quarter century ago, quite a few people commuted from Bennington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Not sure it's on topic since I still can't tell if the OP is talking only about NYC -> CT (which is pretty rare?!), but here's some interesting info...
It's actually not as rare as you think, but often it's only to Stamford (i.e. NYC Wall Streeters commuting to UBS). In my morning commutes to Stamford/Norwalk/Bridgeport, I often see NY (and even NJ!) plates on the road up to Norwalk and occasionally farther, in fact, up to Stamford I see more NY than CT plates. When my wife worked in Norwalk, she had a lot of NY commuters (some from even Queens, Brooklyn and LI), though it was a company that moved there from Manhattan.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 09-21-2012 at 04:44 AM..

Old 08-24-2014, 07:58 AM

23 posts, read 36,128 times
I can tell you that living in Washington, Ct - many of my neighbors go into NYC, but none of them do it daily.

The most frequent I know of for those who live here full time, is 2-3 days a week. For those who have a "country home" here (and there are many) and also own an apartment in NYC - some spend time in either location for a bit. Some spend summers here, some spend weekends here, and some spend months here at a time.

Myself, having business in NYC from time to time (1-2 x/month), it's not that bad of a drive (and you have to drive because the train takes twice as long) if you leave at the right times and take the Saw Mill Pkwy. But I would never do it daily.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:09 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,481,580 times
Obviously it's not Connecticut, but I've seen Vermont license plates from time to time in the Wassaic Metro North parking lot, and that lot is filled with Mass plates as well (right across the border in new York). I'm sure the VT plates are from southern Vermont like the Bennington area, and probably spend the week in the city and go home on the weekends, but that's a pretty far commute.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:04 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,978,217 times
I know a few people from the Waterbury (Thomaston, Wolcott, etc.) area who commute to New York daily.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,101,435 times
I know one person who commutes to NYC from Enfield 4 days a week. That is what I consider a soul sucking commute.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 AM

4,321 posts, read 4,210,606 times
I commuted daily from Hartford / Wethersfield to Manhattan, for 3 months. 4 hour each way, door-to-door, via the 5 am Bonanza commuter bus. A couple of times, I couldn't get up in the morning. Weekends were spent sleeping. Terrible lifestyle.

Someone in the bus was doing it daily for 2 years (Hartford - NYC). He told me of someone who did it for 9 years. After 7 years he went through a divorce.

My neighbor in Madison drove his Chevy Suburban to Canal Street every day for two years He had custody of two sons at home, and couldn't move. He later found a job in New Haven.

I met a woman on MetroNorth who commutes from Branford 5 times/week. I also met someone who commutes to Court Street (downtown Manhattan) from Springfield, MA, 4 times a week. He was a court guard.

Yes, you will find a few people from each town, who do commute for 2-3 hours to Manhattan each way, and it's gotta be brutal. Most people I usually see are Danbury and Fairfaild, like another poster said.

Even those are close to 2 hours door-to-door each way. Terrible way to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut