Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 AM

30 posts, read 46,361 times

Advertisements

Hello, and thanks in advance for reading and (hopefully) replying.

Our family (myself, husband, 4 kids aged 5 to 16) is considering a move to Connecticut. He will be a newly minted High School Chemistry Teacher come this May. Starting salaries are higher in CT than in CO, as well as better benefits and better raises. Basically, on a “comfort index” CT is rated #1 for teachers, whereas CO is ranked 35, so we feel comfortable with his career position. Also, we are already seeing return calls on his resume from CT, and CO seems to be barely hiring people in his study (even though they supposedly need higher level science teachers). I mention all of this because I have noted that CT sales tax is twice what CO is, same for property tax. However, with the extra income CT teachers make, I think we’ll be OK. I have income of my own as well that won’t change when we move.

Moving on: I am curious about neighborhoods. We currently live in a suburb of the Denver Metro area (it takes us roughly 40 minutes to reach downtown Denver). Our community has roughly 9,000 residents, 1 grocery store, 2 pizza places, and a library. Please note, however, that we are only 15 minutes from some of the best shopping in CO, as well as a plethora of natural grocers and regular grocery stores. So, while one is required to drive an extra 15 minutes south on Wadsworth Blvd to get to our community, I wouldn't consider it rural at all. Crime is nil in our area, schools are superb (lots of alternatives as well like charters), community activities and involvement/friendliness is high, and soccer is the most loved sport. Side note: we had homeschooled in the past when area schools were not to our liking, as long as there are extra-curricular activities available in the area.

One thing I have noticed when looking at homes in CT is how small they seem. We live in almost 4000 sq ft on a post stamp sized lot (home valued just under 300k), and I feel hard pressed to find many homes of that size in CT. Are smaller homes commonplace or is it just that over 2500 sq ft puts the house above 400k?

Most important, of course, and the basis for this posting, is WHERE TO LOOK. I really love our community here and would like to replicate as much as possible when we relocate. I have learned over the years that neighborhood is VERY important to my happiness. We will be making at least 1 trip (hopefully more like 3) before we move, but I’m anxious and I would like to explore towns via internet. So, any suggestions on towns that might fit our needs would be appreciated.
Some things we are interested in upon moving: a change of scenery, we’re tired of brown grass and craggy mountains; my husband is from a small town in the Pacific Northwest, and I prefer suburbs fairly close to the city, we've managed a compromise here in a small(ish) community close to the city, we’d like to emulate that there; we don’t enjoy playing “keep up with the Jones’”.

I have done a lot of research on towns in CT, but a computer can only tell you so much. I guess it would be helpful if I tell you that he will probably end up working in Hartford, but I’d appreciate info on the New Haven area as well (we are undecided on which job). I already know that Fairfield County is probably not for us (financially as well as lifestyle). Suggestions, please? And I promise to reply to posts from the Connecticut populous looking to relocate to Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 AM

879 posts, read 1,664,908 times
Most homes are smaller here than in the West/Southwest. I would say that in many CT communities, getting a relatively new or updated house bigger than 2500 sq ft tends to put you at or around 400k unless you're in a less desirable area, which tends to have a lot to do with the schools.

Are you looking to pay the same for your house here as in CO? Budget plays a huge role in what we'd recommend.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 AM

Thanks for your reply! As far as a budget for our house, I wouldn't want to go more than 350k, so I guess a smaller home it is. Our priority would be better area and less house.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 AM

21,850 posts, read 28,234,067 times
There are plenty of 4000 square foot+ homes. Especially in the more affluent towns. They're just more expensive than what you're used to. You really have to go over $500k for that size home almost anywhere in CT. In lower FFC, you won't get a house that big for under a million.

First you need to decide whether you want to live in the Hartford Metro and New Haven Metro. The only advantage to New Haven job-wise is it does put you in a more dense area if you live west of New Haven with access to more people, therefore more teaching opportunities.

You should decide whether you like dense and lively with a walkable town center or more rural. You should decide whether you want coastal or wooded. And whether or not being near a very cultural city is important. Hartford has its plusses, but the culture and restaurants can't match New Haven. Plus you have better NYC access if that's important. Hartford has a more robust overall job market, but for teaching it shouldn't matter.

They are both great places to live. For your price range, some good suburbs in New Haven include Branford, North Haven, Milford, and Orange. In the Hartford area, you could look into West Hartford (though the property taxes are a bit high - it's an exceptional town), Wethersfield, Glastonbury, Newington, Farmington, among others.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 AM

21,667 posts, read 31,322,234 times
One thing you should keep in mind is that while Connecticut teaching salaries may seem higher, COL in Connecticut is overall much higher than Denver. Higher property taxes (a 400k house in Colorado will have about 4,000 in property taxes while in Connecticut, you're looking at double). Higher utility rates. Higher home prices.

Re size of homes, there are a lot of very large homes in Connecticut, but they come at a hefty price. A 4,000 sf house in a nicer suburb of Hartford (Glastonbury, Simsbury, Farmington) will be well over $500k, and in most cases, probably over $600k. You're experiencing what's called "sticker shock".

If he's working in Hartford, look into Glastonbury, Simsbury, Avon, Farmington and Canton. If you like the New Haven area, look into Woodbridge, Orange, Guilford or Madison. These all have superb schools.

These towns are all pricey, but if top schools is a must, you will have to sacrifice square footage. That's the harsh reality for the middle class in a very expensive state.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There are plenty of 4000 square foot+ homes. Especially in the more affluent towns. They're just more expensive than what you're used to. You really have to go over $500k for that size home almost anywhere in CT. In lower FFC, you won't get a house that big for under a million.

You should decide whether you like dense and lively with a walkable town center or more rural. You should decide whether you want coastal or wooded. And whether or not being near a very cultural city is important. Hartford has its plusses, but the culture and restaurants can't match New Haven. Plus you have better NYC access if that's important. Hartford has a more robust overall job market, but for teaching it shouldn't matter.

They are both great places to live. For your price range, some good suburbs in New Haven include Branford, North Haven, Milford, and Orange. In the Hartford area, you could look into West Hartford (though the property taxes are a bit high - it's an exceptional town), Wethersfield, Glastonbury, Newington, Farmington, among others.

Yep, we knew Fairfield wasn't for us!
Let's see: more rural; I prefer coastal, hubby wooded, so that will be decided by other factors; near a cultural city is relative as all of CT would fit entirely in the Denver Metro area. We have no problem driving an hour or more for cultural activities.
Thank you for the town suggestions, I will start looking at them right away!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalreedy1 View Post
Let's see: more rural; I prefer coastal, hubby wooded
I suggest you look into Guilford and Madison - you have the best of both worlds. Rural and wooded, yet along the shoreline with nice beaches. Schools are top notch, too.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Even on the coast, you have some woods, and have quick access to rural areas. You just don't have the rolling hills and really dense woods as you do in northern CT when you're at the coast. Houses tend to be closer together near the water too, but even the coastal towns have northern areas that are far less dense. Branford and Milford are perfect examples of that - their northern areas are VERY different in feel from the areas near the coast. That variety can be nice.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I suggest you look into Guilford and Madison - you have the best of both worlds. Rural and wooded, yet along the shoreline with nice beaches. Schools are top notch, too.
Those towns are wonderful, but $350k will get you less than in Branford and Milford. Especially in Madison. I do recommend them also if the OP is willing to give up some space. They are really fantastic towns.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Those towns are wonderful, but $350k will get you less than in Branford and Milford. Especially in Madison. I do recommend them also if the OP is willing to give up some space. They are really fantastic towns.
Branford and Milford are great towns. They are more affordable with good schools, but they are more densely populated and their schools are not known for being "superb". While they are worth a look, I don't think the OP would prefer them. For 350k, the OP can get a decent house in Guilford or Madison.

That said, there is not a lot of shopping near Guilford/Madison, though there are great outlets in nearby Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut