Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:09 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I think Linda should keep running. It is a way of redistributing wealth. In fact, it would be great if she would run every two years for any ole office, and keep spending that money. I would encourage all billionaires (hopefully some are reading this thread) to run for office and spend hundreds of millions of dollars. Karl Rove will be happy to spend it for you, in case you don't know how to.
That's funny. Good post.

I think the interesting lesson here is that the voters saw through her, despite all the advertising and money spent...

I guess all the advertising in the world won't lead smart people to buy the wrong product. As much as I hate to admit it, this is a really strike against the "money in politics" argument-- What did Linda get for her money (or the Koch brothers for that matter)? Nothing...

Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
That's funny. Good post.

I think the interesting lesson here is that the voters saw through her, despite all the advertising and money spent...

I guess all the advertising in the world won't lead smart people to buy the wrong product. As much as I hate to admit it, this is a really strike against the "money in politics" argument-- What did Linda get for her money (or the Koch brothers for that matter)? Nothing...
Yep, I have found that most people are pretty smart about things. The problem is not with people understanding what is going on, but the choices that are handed to them. Politicians are chosen based upon their ability to deliver goods to their benefactors. Then the electorate has to choose between the better (or worse if one has a sense of humor) of two evils. I am not sure whether we will ever get a system where we have at least one good candidate, but in the meantime, I am all for billionaires emptying their bank accounts back into the economy.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,672 times
Meg Whitman tried the same thing here in CA, she spent millions of dollars trying to buy the Governor's seat and voters soundly rejected it. You can fool some of the people some of the time...etc.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Meg Whitman tried the same thing here in CA, she spent millions of dollars trying to buy the Governor's seat and voters soundly rejected it. You can fool some of the people some of the time...etc.
Go Meg! Maybe she knows of some other Silcon Valley Venture Capitalists who want to spend a few hundred million on a run.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:25 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Go Meg! Maybe she knows of some other Silcon Valley Venture Capitalists who want to spend a few hundred million on a run.
Our venture capitalists are quite savvy. They wont squander resources on a losing horse.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,177 times
How is Governor Moonbeam working out for your state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post

Old 11-07-2012, 02:57 PM

214 posts, read 290,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Sadly, America needs to fall. We have to hit bottom. We cant not survive by giving away free stuff. We cant survive on the path we are on. We are destroying the dollar. Our economy is on the decline and is not going to truly recover. We live in a nation where primarily the media pushes and covers for one side. The only way for people to wake up and change, at this point, is for our further decline. Only then will we truly recover.
Spoken like someone who has never been poor or, at least, someone who's forgotten what it is like to be poor.

This might strike you as surprising, but there really is a huge group of people in this country who cannot get ahead or even survive, because the circumstances they were born into prevent them from doing so.

Last edited by Off-beat; 11-07-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 11-07-2012, 03:01 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I know there are sour grapes today – but I look at from a demographic/social perspective:

Romney lost because he was forced to run on the wrong side of every major issue - from health care, immigration, to gay rights, and abortion. Despite being left of center I believe the system needs two parties so we (the people) can always have the leverage to throw someone out of office – so we need the Rubublican party. However, todays Republican parts need to be schooled in the issues that matter to the masses (and demographics).

The harsh reality is that the Republican Party by not practicing inclusion has been reduced to a bitter closed minded group of all old white male demographic in isolated in fly over states. Just listening to people like Mitch McConnell talk makes even the most moderate voter’s skin crawl.

Maybe they'll learn for next time...
Nice to see a great non-weather post from ya......it wouldn't let me rep you I guess I did that too much on the weather....

Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Oh, please. Give me a break. Most of that money did got into the Connecticut economy in terms of paying for advertising, campaign expenses, staff salaries, etc.
Huge staff salaries, i.e. the only industries and people who benefited from her spending that money were, for the most part, already rolling in money. Otherwise, the money was divided countless times (for example, dividing it among hourly workers or spending it on the expenses involved to produce the products and services that McMahon sought).

And think of it- all those products and services ultimately proved to be wasted, since McMahon lost. So not only were the time and money of Linda McMahon wasted, but the time and money of the people who provided her with products and services were wasted as well.

She brought everybody down with her through her poor decisionmaking. Such a great elected official she would have made.

Last edited by Off-beat; 11-07-2012 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Grammar and addition of detail

Old 11-07-2012, 03:12 PM

I think that the Attorney General and Murphy himself said it best when they addressed his supporters on TV after the results came in: you can't buy the affection of the people of CT. That's why she lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut