Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 10:10 AM

548 posts, read 2,015,565 times

Advertisements

I'm doing research on several of the Hartford suburbs (trying to see what suburb would work best for relocation), and I'm seeing a SLEW of homes for sale throughout Manchester, at low rates to boot. Any CT folks have any insight? Is the neighborhood on the decline? crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 10:47 AM

575 posts, read 3,131,712 times
Manchester does have a higher crime rate than its neighbors like South Windsor and Glastonbury. Manchester Schools are somewhat underperforming with large class size. The town also has a high rental population. These factors make it a less desireable suburb which keep housing prices somewhat lower.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:54 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Manchester actually has a crime rate about half the national average-check city data stats. Manchester schools have some issues- but no different then any other old New England town with an increasing amount of diversity.

As far as Crime in Manchester, a fair amount is in the retail megaplex in the north end; shop lifting, auto break ins etc.

The town has a fair amount of rentals- but many are fairly expensive.

Last edited by skytrekker; 10-13-2007 at 05:39 PM..

Old 10-13-2007, 11:04 AM

driving through Manchester a few weeks ago, I got the vibe that it was a town on the downswing. Is that a fair assumption?

Old 10-13-2007, 11:44 AM

No

Manchester is not on the downswing- I lived in the town from 1989-1999. The town has decent public schools, a vibrant economy, a really nice downtown and Main street, and many cultural venues.

Has the town changed in 20 years? Yes- but on the downswing? N0- its economy is far more diverse, has very attractive housing prices, and some very upscale sections.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
No

Manchester is not on the downswing- I lived in the town from 1989-1999. The town has decent public schools, a vibrant economy, a really nice downtown and Main street, and many cultural venues.

Has the town changed in 20 years? Yes- but on the downswing? N0- its economy is far more diverse, has very attractive housing prices, and some very upscale sections.
cool. thanks for the clarification there.

what is the main business strip in "downtown" Manchester? Restaurants, shops, etc. ?

Old 10-13-2007, 03:47 PM

Main street is the 'old' commercial part of Manchester, extending from the cross of West Center street, near town hall and the Congregational church, east on East center street and south on Main street to I 384. Main street is clearly defined, with a large central library, and many small businesses, shops, and restaurants.

The Main street area has seen much improvements and enhancements over the last 10 years.

Near downtown on East Center street is the renowned Cavey's Restaurant, for years one of the best restaurants in the state. The view on Main street south gives a fine view of the Glastonbury Hills.

Presently of course the north end of town near the South Windsor border has the large retail megaplex, with box stores, with the Mall aka as the Shoppes at Buckland Hills, and the nearby Evergreen Walk in South Windsor.

Last edited by skytrekker; 10-13-2007 at 05:41 PM..

Old 10-13-2007, 04:50 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I agree with Skytrekker that Manchester is NOT on a downswing. There is a lot going on there. The center of town is older but it is very nicely maintained and has some nice stores and restaurants. The mall area in the north end has become the largest shopping area in the state with every major retailer. Even Broad street and the Parkcade area have many many stores for middle class shoppers. Just because everything isn't shiny and new does not mean that the area is going down hill. Jay

Old 10-13-2007, 06:05 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,412 times
I, too have lived in Manchester, and It is most definitly on the downswing. While there are still some nice neighborhoods, (we were in Meadowbrook Fields), downtown is a disgrace. Assault, theft, public drunkeness are very prevelant (from a friend of mine who's a police officer there). Traffic is a nightmare anywhere near the mall. At Christmas time it's 100x worse. Property taxes are absurdly high in this town and not going down anytime soon! That being said, there are PLENTY of restaurants to eat at, all the shopping you could ever want.

There are far better areas to live in CT. South Windsor is a good choice, but I prefer Eastern CT.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree with Skytrekker that Manchester is NOT on a downswing. There is a lot going on there. The center of town is older but it is very nicely maintained and has some nice stores and restaurants. The mall area in the north end has become the largest shopping area in the state with every major retailer. Even Broad street and the Parkcade area have many many stores for middle class shoppers. Just because everything isn't shiny and new does not mean that the area is going down hill. Jay
I'm with you. I'm more of a fan of the old-school downtowns than new shopping plazas and the like.

I'm trying to think of where in Manchester I drove through that gave me the impression that it was worn down.

What other suburbs/sections should I check out that have "walk-able" downtowns? Currently we live in a neighborhood where we walk 2 blocks from our home and there are restaurants, shops, stores -- everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut