Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
My 2.5 year old goes outside at preschool if it's 32 or above. If a child doesn't have appropriate clothes, they give them spares that they keep for that reason. None of this bothers me.

I was more troubled growing up in TX and having to run outdoors in gym class unless it was above 104. Lap running at 100 degrees is NOT fun.
Public school nurses, I'm told have spare pants for potty accidents in the preschool and kindergarten, not spare coats. Your assumption that there are spares around is just wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 12:50 PM

879 posts, read 1,659,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Public school nurses, I'm told have spare pants for potty accidents in the preschool and kindergarten, not spare coats. Your assumption that there are spares around is just wrong.
My *assumption*? It's not an assumption -- I KNOW that my kid's preschool has spare coats. I've seen them.

I can't speak for anyone else's school, of course.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmo View Post
If a child doesn't bring a coat to school, I blame the parents.
Ok, blame away. Doesn't change the fact that kids are still being sent out unprepared, and the school is not letting them back in for the duration of recess.

But NEVER mind all this thread drift - my Original Post was to other CT parents, asking if their schools are doing the same thing? sending kids outside unprepared? did they even know or think to ask?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
My *assumption*? It's not an assumption -- I KNOW that my kid's preschool has spare coats. I've seen them.

I can't speak for anyone else's school, of course.
Again your talking about a preschool. Is it private, or inside a publicly funded elementary school here in CT?

Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,220 times
the answer is it's FINE...

Old 12-06-2012, 04:29 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,702 times
When I was in middle school almost 20 years ago. We couldnt go outside when you were able to see your own breath, that was the test.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM

48,113 posts, read 21,994,714 times
Appropriately dressed is definitely the responsibility of the parents...not the school. If the child is not dressed appropriately...the school shouldnt keep them in...it should call the parent in for a conference and if that fails....perhaps call Child Protective Services. Winter weather is cold. When I was in Elementary School in RI we went out for recess...even if the temps were hovering around zero. We had to walk home in that weather anyway....so what difference is a 15 recess or even a half hour. Temps in the 30's aren't even an issue in my book.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is all good and well, but you have to remember, people in the coastal Northeast will feel temperatures different than someone in the upper Midwest, the same way a South Floridian will think NYC is freezing in April.
It's relative even locally. Having experience with both Westchester and Fairfield districts I find the former tend to be quicker to keep them in (especially the districts near the Bronx), like 30s they start questioning outdoor recess even if no wind (35-40 with no wind is actually pretty nice if you're dressed warm and running around if you ask me). CT I think it's 20s when they start keeping them in; though in both areas if there's snow on the ground they'll tend to keep them in both to avoid "slipping" injuries and to prevent kids from having snowball fights etc. (yes, that sounds like they're "not letting kids have fun" but the issue is kids throwing iceballs, etc. and accidentally hitting someone in the eye).

Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Jeez, i think this thread needs a timeout.....

Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
There is nothing wrong with kids going outside when it's 32-ish. As a parent, I know sometimes older kids won't wear certain sensible clothing because it's not cool, so their actions will result in consequences.
On the elementary school level, my kid's school had guidelines which were enforced, and as a parent, I appreciated. "Gee, I'd know you don't like changing out of your boots at school, but the rule says you need to wear them."
Even back in the olden days, when I walked back and forth to school twice a day in the frigid north (home for lunch), I remember getting in trouble at school for not wearing my snow pants home at lunchtime. I remember how I thought I looked like a doofus with snow pants under my dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut