Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM

38 posts, read 54,927 times

Advertisements

We are continuing to plan our move to Connecticut and, not surprisingly, have come up with more questions

MIL is elderly and will likely be making the move with us. We are looking into a variety of housing options, including her living with us, her living on her own, and her living in a retirement community. Are there any retirement communities around the Guilford area or within about half hour that you would suggest that we look into? Are there any that we should stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Could you narrow it down a bit. What are you looking for your MIL ?.

assisted living
active adult over 55
life care facilities ( start off with independent living then work your way to skilled nursing care )

Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 PM

We haven't looked at anything before and I only have limited experience/knowledge regarding the differences so I'm not entirely sure. Maybe it will help if I give some more information about MIL and some of our thoughts about living situation/amenities/services.

MIL is in her late 70s and currently lives in her own home but needs DF to do pretty much everything for her, including grocery shopping and paying bills. If we're going to go the retirement community route with MIL, she would probably want to feel like she's still living on her own so places where she would have her own apartment would be good. We really don't want her driving (trust me when I say that the good people of Connecticut really don't want her driving either yet I guarantee that somehow she will find a way to get a license...) so a place that offers some sort of transportation would be great. MIL has a bizarre view of herself and her needs. For example, she's never set foot in a gym and I truly wonder how she even manages to walk without falling over (on occasion she uses a walker), but when we have discussed the move, she asked if there's a gym in the town.

So, I guess we're looking for a type of place that is in between a nursing home and living entirely on your own. The ideal type of place would have apartments with staff, transportation, and some activities available.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM

I think what you're aiming for is assisted living for your MIL. The way it works is that she rents a small apartment for an all inclusive monthly fee. The fee includes all utiltiies plus usually TV cable.

It's usually set up as a studio, 1-2 bedroom with living room, bathroom and kitchenette ( depending on what you want to pay). Weekly housekeeping, linen changes are included. Three meals daily served in the dining room also included.

Most places have a shuttle bus / van service to go shopping etc. One our big local supermarkets, called Shop & Shop also offers home delivery. Virtually all also have recreational directors and a variety of things to do on site. Nurses are on hand to help with medication, etc.

Here are some either in Guilford or in adjacent towns

Boston Terrace Elderly Housing- Guilford

The Gables at Guilford

Marcotta Manor - Guilford

Brightview Senior Living - North Branford

The Hearth at Tuxis Pond- Madison

Cedar Woods- Branford

The Hearth at Gardenside- Branford

Prices vary- but I suspect they're all pretty pricey. There may be many more-but that's what coming off the top of my head. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Bella Vista in New Haven is the only one that i can think of. I believe it's an "affordable" complex.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:05 AM

Wow, I didn't expect there to be so many in just that area. Are there any that you think are better or worse than others?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 AM

I have only been in two and that's only because I have visited people I know who have lived in them. Those would be the Gables in Guilford and Cedar woods in Branford. They are very different in location . Both are lovely.

You really have to get prices from them and go visit. I also think there's another one in Guilford called Green Grove.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whattodowhattodo View Post
Are there any that you think are better or worse than others?
If you think your MIL might need care for Alzheimers in the future, you might look at ones with an attached "memory care" unit. I think the Brightwood chain does that, and maybe the Hearth ones. I would look for one that has a professional Social Worker available, as it sounds like she could use an assessment of her capabilities.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,734 times
I was recently at the Gables and was impressed with the facilities and the activities available. My son-in-laws' grandfather spent his final monthes there, and the family was very pleased with the entire experience. He began as an independent , as his condition worsened, aides (private)and hospice came in, and he was able to pass peacefully in his apartment. A beautiful facility with a caring staff. And yes, pricey.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 AM

Great to hear that some of these places sound like good options, especially based on firsthand knowledge. I've already started contacting some of these places to get more information.

Goldenage, I'd love to have her assessed and having these staff available is definitely a benefit as far as DF and I see it, but MIL is highly resistant. DF and I keep a close eye on her for this. MIL is not at the point where we could get a conservatorship, however, there have been days when we've had to seriously consider it. Fortunately, those days are currently few and far between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut