Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I disagree. There's still tons of land available in many towns to build new developments and open new businesses. Litchfield county, Windham county, New London county, Middlesex county, Tolland county, etc. Tons of land available. There's also plenty of room available to build new highways, plazas, etc.
Why would we want new developments, business, highways, and plazas? There are too many already!

Old 02-15-2013, 04:24 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
There are many things about Charlotte that are indeed better than CT. Cost of living is lower, climate is friendlier, people are friendlier and more approachable, there are more people in my age group, and the gay community is larger. And plenty of new construction isn't necessarily a bad thing. I like Charlotte.

My ability to continue staying in Charlotte will depend on whether I can secure employment by the end of the month. Otherwise, I will most likely head back to CT and live with parents. And if I do that, I will search for jobs in other areas, such as Providence, New Haven, Stamford, etc. Hartford would be a last resort.

With that said, I don't understand what the problem is with exploring places other than CT. There is a whole world outside of CT, ya know....and as kidyankee764 said, there are many people who left CT and would never return. Fact of the matter is that CT has some serious and embarrassing problems. It's not a state that's experiencing significant growth or alluring people from other states to come move there in droves. It's just not.
Yet you keep saying you would return within 5 years to live in CT permanently. So maybe you are realizing that it is the best place for you? But also have that grass-is-greener thing going for you.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yet you keep saying you would return within 5 years to live in CT permanently. So maybe you are realizing that it is the best place for you? But also have that grass-is-greener thing going for you.
CT is a good place for me, but it's a disappointment in that it lacks enough of a gay community. That's the one pitfall, really. But like I said, if I can't get a job here in Charlotte within 13 days, I'll have no choice but to return to CT anyway. And if I do, I will look for jobs in southwestern CT. I mean, it's at least worth trying a different area of the state. You know?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
CT is a good place for me, but it's a disappointment in that it lacks enough of a gay community. That's the one pitfall, really. But like I said, if I can't get a job here in Charlotte within 13 days, I'll have no choice but to return to CT anyway. And if I do, I will look for jobs in southwestern CT. I mean, it's at least worth trying a different area of the state. You know?
I'll bet if you knew somebody down there, they could give you a reference and get the job...

Seriously though, I think you could benefit from professional help instead of running back to your mommy.

This thread IS unbelievable.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times
1 month in a new city, starting your job search from scratch there- it might not be too surprising if you cant get a job in your field. So you might not be giving Charlotte a good shot. Hopefully you get something otherwise this will be just a road trip.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:38 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Why would we want new developments, business, highways, and plazas? There are too many already!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
1 month in a new city, starting your job search from scratch there- it might not be too surprising if you cant get a job in your field. So you might not be giving Charlotte a good shot. Hopefully you get something otherwise this will be just a road trip.
I know. I feel stupid for coming here now. I should have realized that one month wouldn't probably be enough time to secure employment. With only 12 days left, it's highly unlikely now. I honestly have a feeling that I'm going to end up back with parents in CT. And I'm gonna have to look for employment somewhere up there. What a shame. But I'm pretty much out of options at this point, and I don't want to touch anymore of my savings, because I would like to have a solid savings foundation for a downpayment on a home in the near future. I'm not gonna keep blowing it all in a place with high unemployment. Fact of the matter is that the job market is stronger in Hartford and Fairfield counties. But I do like Charlotte!

Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
I thought you said you could live there for months comfortably. One month is a short search anywhere these days. Give it time.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Nep, you have to stop kidding yourself. The unemployment rate in Charlotte per Bureau of Labor Statistics
is 7.9 %. Virtually the same as that in New Haven and Fairfield counties. Not identical but not enough difference to matter.

No one moves and expects to find a job in 3-4 weeks. It's always said to allow 5-6 months to find a job and to move with enough resources to allow for that.

What you're doing now is deliberately setting yourself up for failure. You're setting parameters than make it impossible to succeed. You have the money to stay there for quite some time, you're just looking for reasons not to spend it. With a 3% down FHA loan, and the newer, inexpensive homes in the Charlotte area, you'd have no problem funding a purchase without a lot of cash.

Right now you seem to be chomping at the bit to find excuses to get back to Granby to live with your parents. This was not a move to a new locale. This was just an extension of your road trip- you're simply on a long vacation. You're just pretending you're moving. The worst thing is- you've pretty much found your spot, you just don't seem to have the ability to make it work for you. .

By the way, if you want to buy a home then you need to let grass grown under your feet for a while. You simply don't have a stable work history. Going on your fourth job in five years, with these long gaps in your employment, is not going to make an underwriter happy.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Nep, you have to stop kidding yourself. The unemployment rate in Charlotte per Bureau of Labor Statistics
is 7.9 %. Virtually the same as that in New Haven and Fairfield counties. Not identical but not enough difference to matter.

No one moves and expects to find a job in 3-4 weeks. It's always said to allow 5-6 months to find a job and to move with enough resources to allow for that.

What you're doing now is deliberately setting yourself up for failure. You're setting parameters than make it impossible to succeed. You have the money to stay there for quite some time, you're just looking for reasons not to spend it. With a 3% down FHA loan, and the newer, inexpensive homes in the Charlotte area, you'd have no problem funding a purchase without a lot of cash.

Right now you seem to be chomping at the bit to find excuses to get back to Granby to live with your parents. This was not a move to a new locale. This was just an extension of your road trip- you're simply on a long vacation. You're just pretending you're moving. The worst thing is- you've pretty much found your spot, you just don't seem to have the ability to make it work for you. .

By the way, if you want to buy a home then you need to let grass grown under your feet for a while. You simply don't have a stable work history. Going on your fourth job in five years, with these long gaps in your employment, is not going to make an underwriter happy.
The unemployment rate in the Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill metropolitan area is 9.4%. That's worse than most anywhere in CT. Straight from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, as of Jan 30, 2013. I'm not sure how you came up with 7.9%. See it here:

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area

I'm not going on my fourth job in five years. I'm going on my fourth job in seven years. It's common for people under 30 years old to change jobs often, anyway. If I can't get a mortgage for a couple more years, then oh well...I'm **** out of luck.

I am giving my 100% effort in searching for a job here. Checking for new job postings on a daily basis and applying to anything that I'm qualified and interested in. I'm also working with two recruiters as well.

Previously, I did say that I could survive for months, but now I am limiting it to one month, because I refuse to spend more of my hard-earned savings on the "gamble" of searching for a job for months on end, especially in a competitive job market with a 9.4% unemployment. It's just not good business sense. If I cannot secure employment by the end of the month, I will return to my parent's house in Granby, CT and search for a job within a 100-mile radius or whatever. Trust me, I HATE staying at my parents' house even for one day. But I really won't have an option. What good is staying in Charlotte for more months if I have to spend even more of my savings, with no income coming in? It will only delay saving up for a down payment on a home, down the road. I mean, what am I supposed to do? Spend even MORE of my savings? That worries me.

I really do like Charlotte and I'm satisfied with the area in general. There are many positives about it, many of which "cure" the negatives that existed in CT. In all honesty, I do believe that I can be happy in CT, as long as I accept the negatives for what they are and deal with them. I mean, I would at least aim to live in a different area, such as FFC or NHC. But as I have said, staying in Charlotte beyond February would either require me to take several thousand more dollars from my savings, or I could sell some stock. I'm not a fan of doing either. I already spent $6,000 over the past two months with no job, on traveling and staying here. The spending has got to stop! And I'm hesitant to sell a few thousand of my stocks (which don't amount to a lot anyway) to keep living here beyond Feb. It's kind of like using my investment funds to invest in a difficult job market. Like I said, it just doesn't make business sense.

I mean, what would you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut