Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,820 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a home in Stratford but I am not sure if this a good location. The house is located between North Ave and Lynncrest Dr. Is this a safe area or is it too close to Bridgeport?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 AM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
I personally feel like it's far enough from Bridgeport, but others may differ in opinion. It's not the "nicest" area of Stratford, but I'd feel safe there.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM

837 posts, read 2,082,177 times
I know quite a few people who live in that area around Nichols School and they all like it. Take it with a grain of salt though - those people I know have lived in Stratford for many years, so they are more attached to the area than a newcomer.

Where I would draw the line is Broadbridge Ave and Barnum Ave (Rt. 1). In that Nichols area, anything west of Broadbridge Ave (e.g. Canaan Road) starts to get a little iffy for my own personal tastes. Anything south of Barnum Ave (west of West Broad Street toward Soundview Ave) starts to get iffy. I have a friend who lives there and he tells me of random incidences that have taken place over the last few years.

For what it's worth, I live in what is perceived to be a nicer area of Stratford (around Paradise Green) and I've experienced several random incidences - stolen tires/rims, home break-ins, stolen packages, etc. This has tainted my overall view of Stratford.

If I could start fresh with a budget that allows me to enter Stratford's Nichols area, I would personally look at nearby Milford. Taxes are a little bit better in Milford, and property values are similar for the range of homes within the aforementioned budget.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM

879 posts, read 1,659,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabycol View Post
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a home in Stratford but I am not sure if this a good location. The house is located between North Ave and Lynncrest Dr. Is this a safe area or is it too close to Bridgeport?

Thanks.
I don't live too far from there and I would not be concerned with it. I agree that Broadbridge and Barnum are kind of the "lines" to consider.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabycol View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
Lynncrest is directly off of North, so i'm not quite sure what you mean by "between". Anyway, either one of those streets is perfectly safe. North is a slightly busy road though.
I don't know how far along you are in the homebuying process, but i do want to tell you that the Stratford streets that border Bridgeport at the end of Broadbridge(Silver/Cameo/Gem/Topaz/Emerald/etc.) are just as safe as the area that you are asking about. The streets off of Success(Claudia/Kasper/Stonybrook) by the border are safe as well, but i would definitely choose North/Lynncrest/Silver/Topaz/etc. if it were my money. The streets off of Canaan Rd. are a mixed bag. They're not dangerous by any means, just generally not real appealing. If you look in that area, i would advise to only look at the streets that are on the north side of Canaan(Jesse/Shirley/etc.).

Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
If I could start fresh with a budget that allows me to enter Stratford's Nichols area, I would personally look at nearby Milford.
That same Nichols budget will only get you Devon. It wouldn't get you Milford "proper". Meh. I'd take the Nichols Ave. area over Devon. JMHO.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 AM

879 posts, read 1,659,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
That same Nichols budget will only get you Devon. It wouldn't get you Milford "proper". Meh. I'd take the Nichols Ave. area over Devon. JMHO.
Agreed.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,575 times
We're in the same area, just north of North Ave. Very quiet for the most part. I feel completely safe here. I was just out about an hour ago walking the dog. The people I've met have been very down to earth and from a variety of backgrounds. I have one child in Second Hill lane elementary school right now, so far we've been very happy with our choice to settle in Stratford, we feel we get a lot for our money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut