Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:23 PM

5 posts, read 7,160 times

Advertisements

Alright ladies and gentleman I currently reside in Miami I have two young boys and a my wife is pregnant (girl on the way).
As soon as we get things sorted out we plan on relocating to Connecticut, so a few questions if you will all be so kind and honest.

As a Native South Floridian how hard will it be to get employment? I am college educated with a Masters as is my wife.

Secondly for a family of our size what area has the best balance between family friendly and affordability?

What area has the best elementary schools as my oldest will most likely be in the third grade or so?

Would you recommend renting a home first or trying to purchase outright? what would be easier?

I await to hear all of your opinions and since we are objective right now be as honest as possible about your assessment for a family of our size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:44 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
It's not the size of your family that is a concern, it's your budget.

It's not the fact the you both have master's degrees. It's if you have a skill or a career that is in demand.

Perhaps if you filled in the gaps we could offer some advice. Thus, what kind of work are you each looking for ?

What is your budget for buying /and/or for renting.? What is it you expect to get for that price point ?

CT's public schools are overall excellent. It's only the schools in our largest cities that sometimes perform under expectations. Suburban school districts are fine for the most part.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 PM

79 posts, read 122,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDad84 View Post
Alright ladies and gentleman I currently reside in Miami I have two young boys and a my wife is pregnant (girl on the way).
As soon as we get things sorted out we plan on relocating to Connecticut, so a few questions if you will all be so kind and honest.

As a Native South Floridian how hard will it be to get employment? I am college educated with a Masters as is my wife.

Secondly for a family of our size what area has the best balance between family friendly and affordability?

What area has the best elementary schools as my oldest will most likely be in the third grade or so?

Would you recommend renting a home first or trying to purchase outright? what would be easier?

I await to hear all of your opinions and since we are objective right now be as honest as possible about your assessment for a family of our size.
Being from south Florida won't determine the difficulty of getting a job. What kind of Masters?

What do you consider affordable? 200k or $1,000,000? As the other poster mentioned, most schools are really good, just stay away from the bigger cities.

If you get a solid job, buy first. Rent is very expensive here, you'd probably only spend slightly more on a mortgage.

Family size and affordability go hand in hand. More details needed.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
I hate answering a question with a question, but these will help in your search:

1. What is your educational background in? Holding a Master's degree is an asset, but still no guarantee of a job.
2. Are you willing to accept a high cost of living? FL is cheap compared to CT, where EVERYTHING is taxed.
3. Have you decided on a budget? As others have stated, affordable can vary depending on what you can afford.
4. Would you prefer a more rural school district or a more suburban, multiethnic setting?
5. Are you willing to give up a coastal setting with warm weather for the Northeast? Many of us like it fine up here, but that's because either we're used to it or enjoy having four seasons - which veer from brutal winters (like we're having now) to humid summers.

Please don't think I'm trying to discourage you from coming here, I just feel it's important to keep these things in mind if you're serious about relocating here. Sometimes people come here with an unrealistic view of how things will be, and their experiences turn sour.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=2791191

Apparently the OP really isnt sure what part of the NE they are going to relocate to..

Old 02-27-2013, 09:25 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Bring lots of money

Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
As others have noted, we do need more information to help you but to start I will offer the following:

1. Fairfield County in southwestern Connecticut is one of the most affluent and expensive parts of the country. It is home to a number of major corporations and financial firms and has some of the most desirable suburbs of New York City.

2. New Haven is a small city that is home to Yale University and Yale Medical Center. It is a great smal city with a lot of great restaurants and nightlife.

3. Hartford is the states largest metropolitan area. It is home to a lot of major insurance companies and defense industries. It is a great small city because it is so easy to live in/near and offers a lot of culture and history.

4. Most people with families in Connecticut live in the suburbs of a major city. These are completely separate independent towns that usually have their own independent school system. Most of these towns offer excellent educations that rival private schools in some respects.

5. Southeastern Connecticut is less populated, somewhat quiet and charming.

6. Northeast Connecticut is called The Quiet Corner because it is mostly smaller towns with a very quiet or rural lifestyle.

7. Litchfield County in northwest Connecticut is primarily rural in character and is VERY charming and beautiful. It is a second home to many wealthy and famous people and a great place to live if you want a quiet rural life.

You do need to give us an idea of what you do and what type of community you want to live in. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
find jobs first, then move. Don't come up here without having found work, unless you're moving back in with your parents. Job market here is tight. ANd cost of living is high.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM

26 posts, read 53,376 times
since you are still looking for a job , I suggest you stay area commutable to NYC for more opportunities. what's your budget?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I hate answering a question with a question, but these will help in your search:

1. What is your educational background in? Holding a Master's degree is an asset, but still no guarantee of a job.
2. Are you willing to accept a high cost of living? FL is cheap compared to CT, where EVERYTHING is taxed.
3. Have you decided on a budget? As others have stated, affordable can vary depending on what you can afford.
4. Would you prefer a more rural school district or a more suburban, multiethnic setting?
5. Are you willing to give up a coastal setting with warm weather for the Northeast? Many of us like it fine up here, but that's because either we're used to it or enjoy having four seasons - which veer from brutal winters (like we're having now) to humid summers.

Please don't think I'm trying to discourage you from coming here, I just feel it's important to keep these things in mind if you're serious about relocating here. Sometimes people come here with an unrealistic view of how things will be, and their experiences turn sour.
You call this winter brutal? why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut