Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 AM

12 posts, read 14,811 times

Advertisements

Mlassoff do you feel this legislation will curb gun violence? What are your thoughts?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 AM

361 posts, read 385,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It takes 2 seconds to reload and if you can't do any damage with the first 10 rounds, there's a problem.

Well then why ban high capacity magazines? Not being sarcastic, why?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,337 times
yeah the government wouldn't do anything against its citizens, no need to defend yourself from the government like nutty right wingers claim. Uh, lets just forget about forcing Japanese-americans into internment camps and the American Government's Tuskeegee Syphillis Experiments on black soldiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So any felon, violent schizophrenic, or past gun law violator should be able to openly purchase a gun?

Sorry if you're worried that you need guns to defend yourself against the government, you're in a whole new category of nuts. If you really believe this, I would submit you don't have the mental capacity or responsibility level worthy of gun ownership to begin with. (Which would probably explain why you are so paranoid about your guns being taken from you.)

Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 AM

49 posts, read 60,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I've read it and I support it.

I will admit that the magazine registration does confuse me. I'm not sold on the idea (I really don't know how that's going to be monitored). But it's a step in the right direction because, frankly, sitting back and doing nothing is no longer okay with me.
By not sitting back and doing nothing would you be able to parallel that with going to war in the middle east over 9/11, like you mentioned?

You are conflicting yourself in nearly every post. You say you have read it and support the bill but then the next sentence you say you are not sold on a primary portion of it. Which is it?

I understand that passing legislation such as this can be appear to be the moral high ground, believe me no one here wants events like the one in Newtown or Aurora to reoccur, but 'moving in the direction' to take away the rights of ever citizen in CT is not something i consider positive.

No matter what there are always going to be risks in life, we will never be able to legislate them away. And sometimes it is hard to realize that even though our intentions may be right, the effect of our actions can still be negative.

What i feel is the main point, which i keep coming back to, that i believe hinges every individual's opinion of 2A rights is simply whether or not they believe a tyrannical government is possible. If you think not, then i can see why some of this may be sensible, but history has shown that gun confiscation does not benefit the individual.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_ct View Post
Mlassoff do you feel this legislation will curb gun violence? What are your thoughts?
I don't. What I do favor is the universal background checks, as there is more of a paper trail leading to permit holders. Everyone claims that we're penalizing law abiding citizens, yet Nancy Lanza was a law abiding citizen and clearly did not act responsibly, as we learned on Thursday.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 04-02-2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 AM

Mlassoff prefers the Piers Morgan style of self defense, hide under your desk waiting to be killed. Thats fine for you Mlassoff, but I prefer to keep my civil rights, including the rights enumerated under the 1st and 2nd amendments.

Quote:
I don't worry about things that will never happen. I would submit that if three armed men knock down more door, I can pretty much kiss my ass goodbye. I'm not going to have time to retrieve an automatic, or semiautomatic weapon aim and fire to kill all three before they get me.

Since I live in a good neighborhood, don't get involved in the drug trade, and have reputable friends and family, I think this is about the last thing I have to worry about.

But, I guess some must have their RAMBO fantasies.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,620 times
Quote:
I don't worry about things that will never happen. I would submit that if three armed men knock down more door, I can pretty much kiss my ass goodbye. I'm not going to have time to retrieve an automatic, or semiautomatic weapon aim and fire to kill all three before they get me.

Since I live in a good neighborhood, don't get involved in the drug trade, and have reputable friends and family, I think this is about the last thing I have to worry about.

But, I guess some must have their RAMBO fantasies.
Almost half of home invasions are also a case of mistaken identy as well where a neighbor or some one else was the actual intended victim. And believe it or not there are SOME crimes that are more random than you would infer.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidicevapor View Post
By not sitting back and doing nothing would you be able to parallel that with going to war in the middle east over 9/11, like you mentioned?
Exactly. I was not against the occupation in the Middle East. I was merely pointing out that the same political party screaming "don't react", reacted in a big way following 9/11.

Don't make assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidicevapor View Post
I understand that passing legislation such as this can be appear to be the moral high ground, believe me no one here wants events like the one in Newtown or Aurora to reoccur, but 'moving in the direction' to take away the rights of ever citizen in CT is not something i consider positive.
I would not consider that positive either if they were moving in the direction of "taking away the rights of every citizen in CT". But they're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Almost half of home invasions are also a case of mistaken identy as well where a neighbor or some one else was the actual intended victim. And believe it or not there are SOME crimes that are more random than you would infer.
Do you have statistics to back this up, because from what I know, the vast majority of violent crimes are not random at all.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Wanting a balanced budget and our civil rights protected, very extreme and marginalizing views!

Quote:
<-- Liberal. Progressive. Gay. Business Owner.

Deal with it.

SOme right wingers have moved the line so far right, that moderates are now liberal. Fine. More votes for us. Pleas continue to marginalize yourself. Enjoy President Clinton in 2016.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
Well then why ban high capacity magazines? Not being sarcastic, why?
If the target is a group of people, that two seconds can help some flee to safety. To use simply for protection is not using the defense to target a large group; usually just one or two intruders during a home invasion or robbery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut