Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM

229 posts, read 463,258 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am officially on a quest to find the lowest rates for household services.

If you are satisfied with your electrician/plumber/snow plower/mechanic, etc. and if you think they are more than affordable, please give me their contacts and tell us why you recommend them . I am not looking for companies. I am looking for independent people who do a good job and who can prove that they are professionals at what they are doing.

I can start: I have somebody in Danbury who does small jobs on my car. He charged $40 to change the brake pads on my front axle (I bought the brakes myself). In a shop it costs at least $100 to have the brakes installed (only for the labor).

PS: I am pretty sure there will be quite a few comments about how people like me bring the economy down, about how everyone, including contractors, need to be able to make a living, etc. However if I get $15/hour for working as an aide changing patients, turning 300 pound people (very back breaking) and exposing myself everyday to every possible disease that's out there, then I think it is reasonable for me to look for services that I can afford. I also suspect that there are many others out there who are as frugal (budget conscious) as I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
You don't have to justify being frugal.

I have a painter in Danbury that's amazing and inexpensive. I can't quantify his exact rates, but he's done several rooms for me under totaling under $1000 and the work is impeccable.

It's hard to find good people.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 PM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
Lintu, a regular of this forum, helped me out tremendously when my Dryer broke down. She recommended "Jim" from Discount Appliance Service (203-922-0629) who came by on short notice and had everything fixed within 1 hour. It was awesome.

I had an igniter that was burnt out, and a blower wheel that was warped. Total was $185 for Parts & Labor if I remember correctly. It sounded steep considering I know that the igniter and blower wheel are super cheap parts (collectively about $50), but he came RIGHT AWAY and he had the know-how to fix it.

A few others folks also posted different recommendations for Appliance Repair in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/conne...-county-2.html

Also, for automobile-related stuff, I recently started this thead that isn't necessarily price centric, but rather, reliable folks who charge a fair price for car maintenance: //www.city-data.com/forum/conne...-shops-ct.html

Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
She recommended "Jim" from Discount Appliance Service (203-922-0629) who came by on short notice and had everything fixed within 1 hour. It was awesome.
I need to call him. My 3 year old Bosch dryer hasn't been drying super awesome lately, and all the vents are clear. It also sounds like the drum is starting to not operate super smooth, almost a very slight grind. Better to get ahead of it!

Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 PM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I need to call him. My 3 year old Bosch dryer hasn't been drying super awesome lately, and all the vents are clear. It also sounds like the drum is starting to not operate super smooth, almost a very slight grind. Better to get ahead of it!
I learned A LOT from my own recent Dryer breakdown experience. I, too, had a grinding noise and thought it was drum-related. But for me, one of the belts was unaligned and it got fixed when the igniter/blower were both addressed. In your case, it could be a slew of different things causing that noise and causing the lack of proper dryer. Loose belt, loose knob, unaligned igniter, bad blower wheel, etc.

Generally speaking, I found Appliancepartspros.com to be a fantastic resource since they provide videos and diagrams to help you diagnose and fix the appliance yourself. You plug in the model number of your appliance and it pulls up a list of all replaceable parts with prices. There's also a forum-style community there that is helpful and/or with historical posts from others who may have experienced the same issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut