Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM

214 posts, read 290,215 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/us...31A558EC2B7F30

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/0...merican-people

Obama himself actually did a good job of explaining why today's events are so outrageous, so I'll refrain from offering a summary.

But think of this: what does it say about the power of evil to prevail in this country when a bill like this one fails the way it did? Because virtually no one agreed with the opposition (the pro-gun side) when it came to this.

NO ONE.

And yet, somehow, the opposition still won.

Despite the fact that virtually no one agreed with them.

Think about it.

Last edited by Off-beat; 04-17-2013 at 05:49 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 PM

837 posts, read 2,084,066 times
Political ideologies aside, I think most folks can agree that our system of electing representatives is flawed if they cannot accurately represent public opinion. Congress men and women aren't living up to the true definition of representation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-17-2013, 06:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Meaningful reform of any kind will not get passed until those in favor of it come to their senses, and are willing to single issue vote out anyone standing in its way. Even if , on 99 votes of 100, they like the politician.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:36 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-beat View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/us...31A558EC2B7F30

Daily Kos: In 2014, it will be the NRA against the American people

Obama himself actually did a good job of explaining why today's events are so outrageous, so I'll refrain from offering a summary.

But think of this: what does it say about the power of evil to prevail in this country when a bill like this one fails the way it did? Because virtually no one agreed with the opposition (the pro-gun side) when it came to this.

NO ONE.

And yet, somehow, the opposition still won.

Despite the fact that virtually no one agreed with them.

Think about it.
I think you will find that if you venture outside of CT and it's 100% democratic electorate you will find that people disagree with you COMPLETELY@!

There are those like yourself that want to take away everyone's guns, tax bullets and set up a national registry so that government officials can come in and take them all away.

Gun owners understand this which is why they oppose all of the "anti-gun" bills you try to pass.

You want an example, look at NYC they banned hand guns. You can't own them or take them into the city. Its already happened they tried to do the same thing in DC.

To hear people on the left talk about "gun violence" whenever there is a shooting instead of simply murder kills another, is very telling. People like you blame guns when a murder happens, logic tells us that there are killers and guns don't make killers kill.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I think you will find that if you venture outside of CT and it's 100% democratic electorate you will find that people disagree with you COMPLETELY@!

There are those like yourself that want to take away everyone's guns, tax bullets and set up a national registry so that government officials can come in and take them all away.

Gun owners understand this which is why they oppose all of the "anti-gun" bills you try to pass.

You want an example, look at NYC they banned hand guns. You can't own them or take them into the city. Its already happened they tried to do the same thing in DC.

To hear people on the left talk about "gun violence" whenever there is a shooting instead of simply murder kills another, is very telling. People like you blame guns when a murder happens, logic tells us that there are killers and guns don't make killers kill.
I have NRA friends who supported this notion of bigger background checks. They do not view this as anti-gun. Sorry.

So I guess we can label Chris Christie a liberal as well, right? He's a Republican for gun control. Maybe the issue isn't that he isn't a leftist, maybe he just didn't drink the gun lobby's KoolAid.

Honestly, I don't know why you still live in this state when all you do is complain about it. May I suggest Utah? It's right up your alley. It's very Republican, they love their guns, they talk about how their against big government while at the same time doing things that contradict that notion (like banning same-sex marriage), and Romney carried 82% of the state in the last election. Granted, they have one of the highest foreclosure rates in the country, but I guess we can blame liberals for that, too.

It blows my mind how people are treating this as an anti-gun issue. The Senate just responded the way they did because this is what the shyster lobbyists told them to do. Just another day in America's political fray. Yay, yay, USA.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
It's the lobbyists. I'm so disgusted I feel like starting a whole new country. Oh, we already did that a few hundred years ago. Something went wrong.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 PM

6,139 posts, read 5,111,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

I'll admit I've heard this before and absolutely FAIL to understand the logic of this claim. Guns, whose sole purpose is to kill, aren't required to be registered yet automobiles are. The 2nd amendment does not grant an absolute right...it states "well-regulated militia".

Old 04-17-2013, 07:39 PM

837 posts, read 2,084,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
I'll admit I've heard this before and absolutely FAIL to understand the logic of this claim. Guns, whose sole purpose is to kill, aren't required to be registered yet automobiles are. The 2nd amendment does not grant an absolute right...it states "well-regulated militia".
Well said.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
They hate the Northeast in general , anything that favors this region whether it be increased Transportation funding or upgrades to public safety are shot down instead the poor south gets all the money... To be honest I think its time the Northeastern states break off and form their own country , which would damage the rest of the US seeing how we account for 25-30% of the GDP.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
I don't take it as "HATE" against Connecticut, but, more so, the lack of will, determination or courage to do the right thing. Politicians see their job as keeping their job-- winning the next election-- not representing their constituants or even doing whats right. I can only hope that some DO lose their job over this vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut