Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM

10 posts, read 17,915 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the middle of making a relocation decision now that our house has sold down south. Our families are spread out between CT and NY, so I am trying to see if there are any CT towns that might fit the description of what we are looking for in no particular order (knowing that we likely won't find a place that will hit ALL of these, but maybe most??).

Progressive/Sustainable
Eco Friendly, “Go Green”, good recycling program
Health Conscious
Family-friendly
Farmers Markets
Organic/natural food store
Outdoor activities like kayaking, skiing, biking, hiking
Green space-parks, trails
Culture-library, theatre, concert space, galleries, live music, bars
Safe, low crime rate
Pedestrian friendly
Historic-brick buildings, old architecture
“Foodie” environment-fun, ethnic places to eat
Community events-fairs, parades, seasonal activities, festivals, historic events
Cute main street with shops, bookstore, ice cream, walkable, cafes, coffee shop
Good schools/sports teams
Close proximity to a lake

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Last edited by tropix47; 05-09-2013 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: Font
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Are you looking in only southwestern CT near NY? I ask because West Hartford fits your description, but that's located in central CT.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 PM

We are open to any area of CT. I will have to check out West Hartford. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Any of the towns just outside of New Haven fit that description, especially the ones just up from the shore. I would suggest poking around Branford, Guilford, Wallingford, North Haven, Milford.

This way you are right outside a great area for food (New Haven) and the farmers markets and local farms where you can pickup great veggies, eggs, etc. are right around the corner. There are a lot of small restaurants in these towns that you can get to know the owners and enjoy great meals as well.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM

Thanks-will check out those areas as well!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Knowing your price range and what you expect for it would help. If you want to be closer to New York, you might consider Fairfield. It has what you are looking for and is similar in character to West Hartford. It is pricer though. Jay

Old 05-09-2013, 03:10 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
You might find Westport has a good deal of what your looking for as well. I don't think any town has 100% of what you seek, but Westport, is definitely on the progressive side, very active community, etc.

I'd recommend it.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:24 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,332 times
Stratford more earthy and on the rise!

Old 05-09-2013, 04:02 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
Stratford more earthy and on the rise!
I hesitate to recommend Startford due to school quality.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:03 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
On the expensive side, but Westport meets a lot of criteria if you want to be closer to NYC. Fairfield too, and a bit less expensive, but still pricier than other parts of the state. I personally love Fairfield. One of the most well rounded towns in the state.

New Haven has by far the strongest green initiatives and the best food scene. It almost has a Brooklyn vibe these days. Many restaurants use local or sustainable ingredients. Miya's Sushi is one of the more famous examples. Milford, Branford, Guilford and Madison are great shoreline towns near New Haven that meet your criteria. I have many of the same tastes and love Milford's access to farmer's markets (3 in total), organic food (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Robert Treat Farm, Villa Gourmet, etc), and its great walkable downtown, restaurant scene, events and parks.

West Hartford is another great suggestion. The downtown is superb and has lots of restaurants and upscale dining. Elizabeth Park is one of the most beautiful in the state.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut