Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 AM

142 posts, read 269,216 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We just moved to Middletown in a nice residential subdivision, and so far the neighbors have been wonderful. (We were given the name of one neighbor by the previous owners as a handyman, and are planning to have him install some floors.) The neighbor on the other side mowed our lawn since we haven't yet moved in!

I am planning to get to know others as well. Right now its just my husband and I, and we are expecting a baby. Would it be weird if I baked a batch of cookies and took those (or fruit, assuming so many people are diabetic these days) to the few houses around us, knocking on the doors over the weekend and just introducing myself? I'm definitely planning to take something to the guy who told my husband he would mow our lawn, and that we could pay him in a "thank you".

Any other/better ideas? Should I desist from knocking and just wait until I see people outside their houses and then introduce myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 08:30 AM

206 posts, read 404,556 times
Baking cookies and delivering them in person sounds like a perfect idea. (If they don't want to/can't eat your cookies, they can give them away. It's the thought that counts.) Neighbors are people you want to have on your side, especially with a new baby coming.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
I don't think it's weird at all. If people don't respond in kind then they are the ones who are weird.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:36 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesque View Post
Hello,

We just moved to Middletown in a nice residential subdivision, and so far the neighbors have been wonderful. (We were given the name of one neighbor by the previous owners as a handyman, and are planning to have him install some floors.) The neighbor on the other side mowed our lawn since we haven't yet moved in!

I am planning to get to know others as well. Right now its just my husband and I, and we are expecting a baby. Would it be weird if I baked a batch of cookies and took those (or fruit, assuming so many people are diabetic these days) to the few houses around us, knocking on the doors over the weekend and just introducing myself? I'm definitely planning to take something to the guy who told my husband he would mow our lawn, and that we could pay him in a "thank you".

Any other/better ideas? Should I desist from knocking and just wait until I see people outside their houses and then introduce myself?
It is a nice gesture just be careful with what you bake. So many are diabetic or have food allergies, especially to nuts it might be safer to have a small "introduce yourself" gathering and put out a variety of sweets and other snacks so there is a choice. I don't mean a huge 3 course meal or anything just a few different types of cookies (with clear labels stating what type of cookie and if it is sugar free), some cold drinks labeled the same way, a few different fresh fruits and vegetables with a couple dip selections. Then you can do an "Open House" type thing and people can come and go as they like and know exactly what they are eating and drinking.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:38 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Welcome to CT... Friendly yet respecting each others space.

I wouldnt go knocking on the doors of those who you havent corresponded with, just to respect their space. But for the ones who have helped you or stopped to talk to you guys I would definetly bring a basket of fruit or something. Stay away from cookies (althought I would LOVE that). A lot of people are health concious. Maybe a mix of fruit and cookies? Or Nuts and Chocolate? Maybe Wine and Cheese?

Even if you have to leave it on their doorstep they would totally appreciate that and love the fact they have good neighbors like yourselfs. We need more of you around.

You dont have to introduce yourself to every single neighbor. But if you see them outside just wave Hi and they'll see you as a friendly neighbor.. :-)

Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is a nice gesture just be careful with what you bake. So many are diabetic or have food allergies, especially to nuts it might be safer to have a small "introduce yourself" gathering and put out a variety of sweets and other snacks so there is a choice. I don't mean a huge 3 course meal or anything just a few different types of cookies (with clear labels stating what type of cookie and if it is sugar free), some cold drinks labeled the same way, a few different fresh fruits and vegetables with a couple dip selections. Then you can do an "Open House" type thing and people can come and go as they like and know exactly what they are eating and drinking.
It's a good idea, but I'm honestly too shy (and also a little bit pregnant) to have an open house for people who are strangers, at least for now. I love to cook, and can see us having a lot of parties down the line once we know everyone. Maybe I will do a plain cookie (shortbread or chocolate) plus fruit basket instead.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I wouldnt go knocking on the doors of those who you havent corresponded with, just to respect their space. But for the ones who have helped you or stopped to talk to you guys I would definetly bring a basket of fruit or something. Stay away from cookies (althought I would LOVE that). A lot of people are health concious. Maybe a mix of fruit and cookies? Or Nuts and Chocolate? Maybe Wine and Cheese?

Even if you have to leave it on their doorstep they would totally appreciate that and love the fact they have good neighbors like yourselfs. We need more of you around.

You dont have to introduce yourself to every single neighbor. But if you see them outside just wave Hi and they'll see you as a friendly neighbor.. :-)
I like that, thank you! I could definitely do fruit plus cookies, and maybe something like popcorn. (Wine and cheese is trickier when I don't know people.)

And maybe I will wait a few days before knocking on random doors.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

You know, I am getting kind of sick of the health consious crap (yes crap). It has become the new political correctness. A simple plate of homemade cookies should not be viewed as someone trying to poison someone else. It should be viewed as an act of kindness. Eating a couple of cookies is not going to kill you (unless you have serious allergies or are diabetic, which most people do not) but some people nowadays treat it as if it will. As you can guess I have been dealing with several people who have become finatic about this and am growing weary of dealing with them. To the OP, do the cookies and do not worry if the people can not eat them. Most people can and will accept them as a gesture of kindness and appreciation. Jay

Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You know, I am getting kind of sick of the health consious crap (yes crap). It has become the new political correctness. A simple plate of homemade cookies should not be viewed as someone trying to poison someone else. It should be viewed as an act of kindness. Eating a couple of cookies is not going to kill you (unless you have serious allergies or are diabetic, which most people do not) but some people nowadays treat it as if it will. As you can guess I have been dealing with several people who have become finatic about this and am growing weary of dealing with them. To the OP, do the cookies and do not worry if the people can not eat them. Most people can and will accept them as a gesture of kindness and appreciation. Jay
Aww, Jay. I know it is sad, and this is coming from someone who has run the whole gamut of food fanaticism. I've finally settled for "Eat real food, IT'S FINE." Home made cookies are fine. But yes, we have a few older people in this neighborhood and I suspect some diabetes. So I will just bring some fruit in addition to the cookies. Thanks. and cheer up.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,571 times
I'd introduce yourself without the food altogether. I'm a friendly person, but I'd be concerned about eating food from someone bringing it to my door as a peace offering. I do like Camb's idea though, but primarily because something like cheese, nuts, chocolate are all store-bought generally. You can do that, even store bought cookies on a nice tray. But I dunno how you prepare food, how clean you are, how sick you may be.

To be honest, I probably would still eat homemade cookies from a new neighbor, but I have a lead stomach. Most people I know don't, get sick or scheeved out easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut