Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post

The Stratfield and Fairfield Woods neighborhoods are nice, but they are definitely more catered towards middle class than upper class. <-- subjective opinion. I have also heard some folks comment about those neighborhoods' proximity to Bridgeport. Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal since the neighboring sections of Bridgeport are the more desirable ones (e.g. Sacred Heart University and GE).
The streets off of Fairfield Woods are pretty vibrant with people out and about, but it really feels like a too tightly squeezed neighborhood to me. Stratfield doesn't feel as "squeezed" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM

642 posts, read 859,012 times
"The Fairfield public school system is one of the best in the state. Trumbull is good, but I've heard some unfavorable stories about its high school."

I live in Trumbull and it is good advice to live above the Parkway. There are some nice areas with historic homes. I live in upper Long Hill (north of the Town Hall) and a lot of people don't realize this but there are a lot of historic homes on Main Street and the surrounding streets. I would not have know this that but I take my walk up and down Main Street and many of the homes have plaques that show the historic nature. You might be able to find a historic home in this area in your price range but it might need some work. But for the people I know who have the historic homes in my area it is a labor of love. There is another section that has many historic homes and it is called the Nichols Farms Historical District but I am pretty sure the homes are well above the $450,000 price range because Nichols has 1 acre zoning and Long Hill has 1/2 acre zoning. Most of the houses in Nichols are pretty large also.

I know the Historical Society had a survey done that listed all the historical homes in Nichols and Upper Long Hill but I can't find it online. I bet if you contact the Trumbull Historical Society they can send you the PDF of it.

BTW, I know lots of people in the town government and I am telling them that I am reading on this City Data website that people are saying that Fairfield has better schools. They assure me that is not the case. Although Fairfield has great schools the people here in Trumbull tell me that Trumbull has had a better school system for quite some time. I don't know where the people on here are getting the information that Fairfield has the better schools. Mind you it is not by much, but the people I know on the Town Council and BOE assure me that Trumbull has the better school system.

Connecticut State Districts - CT School District Rankings

If you look on this website that compares the school districts in CT Trumbull is #23 and Fairfield is #30. Both towns have most excellent school systems but the ranking on here does show that Trumbull is a little better.

I am curious to know what are the bad things you heard about the Trumbull HS. Trumbull HS has that great agriscience center with all the animals. I go there all the time to see the animals. It is very cool and I know kids from other school systems try to get into the Trumbull HS because of the agriscience program. I live here and I have not heard anything bad about the HS so I am just curious what you think is wrong with the HS here.

Trumbull Agriscience

Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post

BTW, I know lots of people in the town government and I am telling them that I am reading on this City Data website that people are saying that Fairfield has better schools. They assure me that is not the case. Although Fairfield has great schools the people here in Trumbull tell me that Trumbull has had a better school system for quite some time. I don't know where the people on here are getting the information that Fairfield has the better schools. Mind you it is not by much, but the people I know on the Town Council and BOE assure me that Trumbull has the better school system.

Connecticut State Districts - CT School District Rankings

If you look on this website that compares the school districts in CT Trumbull is #23 and Fairfield is #30. Both towns have most excellent school systems but the ranking on here does show that Trumbull is a little better.
We get our info here: Selection Menu - CMT Data Interaction (Public). From the source. The state of CT.

Trumbull's CMT scores do seem to be a bit higher overall in '13. However, if you throw out the scores from McKinley, Fairfield wins.

Edit to say: I looked at schooldigger and noted that Jane Ryan in Trumbull was the #2 elementary school in the state for CMT scores. They were ranked 14th the previous year. Hmmmmmmm.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 08-28-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 PM

"Also wondering if anyone knows of a message board I could visit for parents in Trumbull."

I know there is a website like this but I am pretty sure you need to be a resident of Trumbull to be on it. It is on Facebook and sometimes I see my friends here commenting on the site but I have never seen it. I think it is called "Trumbull Moms" or something to that affect.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
We get our info here: Selection Menu - CMT Data Interaction (Public). From the source. The state of CT.

Trumbull's CMT scores do seem to be a bit higher overall in '13. However, if you throw out the scores from McKinley, Fairfield wins.
I am looking at your website and I am only seeing grades 3-8. Maybe I am not looking in the right place or maybe I am not that smart because I didn't go to the Fairfield or Trumbull schools

The website I put up rates the entire school district and not just grades 3-8. Am I missing something on your website?

If you are throwing out a school it defeats the purpose of evaluating the entire school district. If we throw out some of the worst Trumbull schools we would get a different result (for the better) also.

The school systems are so close but it is not fair for people to keep saying that Fairfield is so much better because it is not true. Now if we are talking beaches and shopping thrown in Fairfield beats Trumbull for most people. Me included because I love the beach. I just could not afford to live in the Fairfield beach area.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I am looking at your website and I am only seeing grades 3-8. Maybe I am not looking in the right place or maybe I am not that smart because I didn't go to the Fairfield or Trumbull schools

The website I put up rates the entire school district and not just grades 3-8. Am I missing something on your website?

If you are throwing out a school it defeats the purpose of evaluating the entire school district. If we throw out some of the worst Trumbull schools we would get a different result (for the better) also.

The school systems are so close but it is not fair for people to keep saying that Fairfield is so much better because it is not true. Now if we are talking beaches and shopping thrown in Fairfield beats Trumbull for most people. Me included because I love the beach. I just could not afford to live in the Fairfield beach area.
Schooldigger's methodology gives the advantage to smaller districts. Did you notice that Monroe has a better ranking than Trumbull?

Given that Fairfield has over 10K students, their numbers are very impressive. And regulars on here will tell you, i don't sing the laurels of Fairfield. The numbers are damn impressive given the size of the student body.

The next school district on schooldiggers list with over 10K students is West Hartford, which they've ranked as #50.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Schooldigger's methodology gives the advantage to smaller districts. Did you notice that Monroe has a better ranking than Trumbull?

Given that Fairfield has over 10K students, their numbers are very impressive. And regulars on here will tell you, i don't sing the laurels of Fairfield. The numbers are damn impressive given the size of the student body.

The next school district on schooldiggers list with over 10K students is West Hartford, which they've ranked as #50.
I know that Monroe has better schools than Trumbull. The OP is considering Trumbull and Fairfield and I would like that person to realize that the Trumbul schools are very good, so if the school system is very important you get great value in a school system for what you are paying for a house in Trumbull vs Fairfield. That is all. That is why I moved to northern Trumbull vs the section in Fairfield I could afford.

Here is what you need to bear in mind also about the OP's price range. In Trumbull you can get a house in the northern part which has the best schools. You will most likely not get the best schools in Fairfield for that price range. If the OP looks between Madison Ave and Main Street in northern Trumbull they are going to be in the Tashua or Jane Ryan school districts which are the best ones. These sections border Easton. I think they can get a house in the best school district for the money they have in Trumbull. We don't have beaches but we do have very good school value if that is what someone is looking for.

Everyone else is looking at statistics on websites but I actually live here and understand the nuances in the town.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post

Commute to Norwalk would be a bit easier from Fairfield. Traffic along the Merritt usually starts around Exit 48, and it can take around 20-30 minutes in rush hour traffic just to traverse to Exits 44 and 46 (the two logical Merritt exits for Stratfield and Fairfield Woods).
I wouldn't say traffic to 48 is normal. That's on worse days. On those days I took the back roads. I'd say most days it backs up to 46 or 44. The worst stretch is 44 to 42.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
I know that Monroe has better schools than Trumbull. The OP is considering Trumbull and Fairfield and I would like that person to realize that the Trumbul schools are very good.
That's well and good that you wish to inform the OP that Trumbull has very good schools. They do.

The problem for me(and others i'm sure), is that you were claiming Trumbull schools to be superior to Fairfield.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
The Tashua district of Trumbull, is one of the nicest IMHO. Very suburban neighborhoodish, and not the closest neighborhood to the Meritt, but the are has two excellent elementary schools (Tashua and Jane Ryan) and lovely homes. The neighborhoods are quieter than Fairfield's with less traffic.

Really I don't think you can go wrong in Trumbull or Fairfield. Both great towns-- but different!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut