Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 AM

136 posts, read 240,306 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, we are heading to Mystic for a family trip in late August. We read the guides, and it looks like a fun place to visit with kids. But I was wondering whether the locals on this forum can give us some tips as to where to stay and what to do. Our kids are middle/elementary school age. Many thanks in advance. Also, a strange question perhaps, but is there a laundromat in town that is open to the public? We are coming directly from kids' camp and we will have to do some laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 AM

173 posts, read 351,709 times
Eat at Kitchen Little, on your way into town. Also, Westerly RI is very close, has a beautiful beach with a carousel and home-made ice cream, and lots of places to stay.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but the laundromat is easily found on Google.

Mistick Village Coin Laundry
27 Coogan Blvd Mystic, CT 06355 (860) 536-9043

On where to stay, what's your budget? You can certainly stay in a historic inn within the town, but it will cost more. I stayed at the Hampton Inn nearby once and it was fine for the price.

What to do: the village and aquarium will easily take up a day. You can also walk around downtown.

How long are you staying?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:07 AM

Default More info

We are staying for 5 days. We are not looking for a historic inn, our kids like the standard chain hotels. We want to walk not drive. Do you recommend any of the 6-8 hour cruises? Yup, you are right, I googled a laundromat after I asked! But thanks anyway! Any day trips?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Yeah, there's lots of day trips from there. If you're ambitious, Newport is a great one. I would even stay there a night or 2. There's tons to see and do there. Mystic can be done in a day, 2 days tops. As mentioned, Westerly/Misquamicut have great beaches. Watch Hill is very beautiful too.

You could also take a ferry to Block Island for the day. Beautiful, historic island with gorgeous natural beaches.

Close to Mystic, Stonington is a really gorgeous little town. You could also go eastward and visit the lower CT River valley, which IMO is one of the most beautiful areas of CT. Attractions there: downtown Chester, downtown Essex, Gillette Castle, Goodspeed Opera, downtown Old Saybrook, Fenwick (the section of Old Saybrook where Katherine Hepburn's house is).

New Haven might be too far for a daytrip, but if you like museums - the Yale Art Gallery and British Art Museum are among the best in the northeast. The Peabody Museum is interesting too, kind of like a mini Museum of Natural Art. There's also guided walking tours of the incredible Yale campus, and tons of great restaurants.

In Mystic itself, The Pita Stop is great for falafel/Middle Eastern style lunch. Oyster Club is the best fine dining in Mystic, Daniel Packer Inne has good food in a very cool historic space. S&P has OK food, but a great view. Abbott's has an amazing view for lunch, just can be busy - I had a bad experience with the food but many rave about it.

Don't bother with Mystic Pizza, just a tourist trap with average pizza. Pizzetta or Mango's is better, but real CT pizza is westward.

Last edited by Stylo; 07-16-2013 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 12:01 PM

Default Thank you!

Appreciate the input. You have given me a lot to work with!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:44 PM

24 posts, read 47,711 times
The Hilton in Mystic is really nice. My husband sent my friend and i there for Mother's Day. The rooms were very clean (my friend works for a pest control company and she always checks for bugs in hotel rooms before she even puts her bags down!!) they have a restaurant, breakfast, and a bar. The Hilton is right across the street from the aquarium and shopping. There's a great restaurant called "Go Fish" right across the street that has really good sushi, as well as many other things on their menu. I lived in RI when I was a kid (just moved back to new England after 27 yrs) and I remember going to Block Island and narragansett (scarborough beach). I can't wait to take my kids to block island and back to the beach where my mom taught me how to body surf!!!
Have fun!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut