Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 PM

333 posts, read 467,321 times

Advertisements

From WTNH.com:

Changes coming to I-95 in East Lyme

http://wtnh.images.worldnow.com/images/static/gfx/pxl_trans.gif (broken link)

[i]by News Channel 8's Crystal Haynes
Posted Nov. 9, 2007
12:45 PM
East Lyme (WTNH) _ One week after a deadly crash on Interstate 95 in East Lyme, new safety measures have been put in place.
Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Sorry for the rant!

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 04:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 01:47 PM

223 posts, read 1,172,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
From WTNH.com:

Changes coming to I-95 in East Lyme

http://wtnh.images.worldnow.com/images/static/gfx/pxl_trans.gif (broken link)

[i][color=#000000]by News Channel 8's Crystal Haynes
Posted Nov. 9, 2007
12:45 PM
East Lyme (WTNH) _ One week after a deadly crash on Interstate 95 in East Lyme, new safety measures have been put in place.
Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles
Don't apologize! Regrettably, our government is one motivated by reaction instead of proaction.

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 04:26 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee.peddler View Post
Don't apologize! Regrettably, our government is one motivated by reaction instead of proaction.
It's just too bad. If they wanted to be consistent, something would've happened on I-84 in Danbury a few weeks ago when two were killed due to the aggressive driving, where the aggressive driver walked away without a scratch.

I see aggressive driving daily - you want to know the biggest offenders of driving aggressively? THE POLICE!

Old 11-09-2007, 03:47 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Follow the money. Lots of big money influence in Old Lyme/East Lyme area. (And they are not "evil Republican conservatives" for the record.)

Nothing new under the sun.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:16 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Much of it has to do with money. The State Police patrol our highway but they can't be everywhere can they? Jay

Old 11-10-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The State Police patrol our highway but they can't be everywhere can they? Jay
I get the whole money thing, but I think you might be missing my point. I'm not calling for all state police to be everywhere - but frankly I find it pointless to beef up police presence in that area, and only that area. The aggressive driving issue is very much a problem in Connecticut and nationwide - the changes made in East Lyme will not prevent aggressive driving. Changes need to be made statewide and then maybe people will become more aware of their driving habits.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:22 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
I get the whole money thing, but I think you might be missing my point. I'm not calling for all state police to be everywhere - but frankly I find it pointless to beef up police presence in that area, and only that area. The aggressive driving issue is very much a problem in Connecticut and nationwide - the changes made in East Lyme will not prevent aggressive driving. Changes need to be made statewide and then maybe people will become more aware of their driving habits.
Okay... how?

Old 11-10-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Okay... how?
Higher fines for aggressive driving, a phone number you can call to report aggressive drivers, etc. - other states have done this and it really does work for the most part. Of course you will always have the few who don't care at all.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:40 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Higher fines for aggressive driving, a phone number you can call to report aggressive drivers, etc. - other states have done this and it really does work for the most part. Of course you will always have the few who don't care at all.
Great so the next time some loon is upset you didn't move over in .5 seconds you get reported to the state police. No thanks. That is also a NIGHTMARE for the courts to settle. I know if I got a fine based on a civilians "observation" I'd be in court without a question.

We have some of the highest fines in the nation. Seriously. The motorvehicle infaction system is really nothing more than a tax generator. How many here have gotten a stiff ticket in their life? How many still speed? Exactly.

Instead of being reactive with penalties how about a proactive approach via mandatory driver education and more strict licensing laws? I dont' know too many people who have gone into the seatbelt demonstration rig the state police have to simulate a 15mph crash who don't wear their seatbelts.

Why do you think the majority of pro and amature race car drivers are so safe on the road? Most have experienced a reality 99% on the road have not.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:30 AM

223 posts, read 1,172,876 times
I believe one proactive action the state can take as a result of East Lyme is to remove all the remaining expressway median guardrails and replace them with Jersey barriers. Jersey barriers do a better job of preventing out-of-control vehicles (cars or trucks) from jumping onto the opposite lanes of traffic. While many guardrails have been replaced over the years as a result of rehabilitation projects, many still remain in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut