Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 02:26 PM

504 posts, read 384,989 times

Advertisements

I wonder what the office space vacancy rate would of been like had all those proposed towers been built in the 80s?

Old 03-17-2017, 03:04 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are obviously referring to the North End which is the worst part of the city. There is a reason those units are empty and it has nothing to do with demand. Hartford has a 3.5% vacancy rate which is insane. Anything below 5% is considered full-occupancy. Jay
Actually, except the West End (and a few buildings downtown), rest of Hartford is not desirable. NorthEnd is just the worst.

Schools are also bad, in comparison, so is crime, blight, etc. You cross over to Wethersfield for example, and it is as if someone just drew a line on the ground.

Hartford's "element" has also spilled over to West Hartford. I lived on the South End, probably was consider a gentrifier, but lost and moved on to greener pastures.

Still visit the area frequently, friends, family, restaurants, etc, and Hartford does not seem to have done much progress, except isolated mega-buildings downtown.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:18 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Actually, except the West End (and a few buildings downtown), rest of Hartford is not desirable. NorthEnd is just the worst.

Schools are also bad, in comparison, so is crime, blight, etc. You cross over to Wethersfield for example, and it is as if someone just drew a line on the ground.

Hartford's "element" has also spilled over to West Hartford. I lived on the South End, probably was consider a gentrifier, but lost and moved on to greener pastures.

Still visit the area frequently, friends, family, restaurants, etc, and Hartford does not seem to have done much progress, except isolated mega-buildings downtown.
It battlefield north of I-84

Old 03-17-2017, 03:21 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:

Huh? Sorry, but I'd like to see proof behind this kind of statement...can be misleading to others who are looking to relocate to the area. WH remains very desirable.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Huh? Sorry, but I'd like to see proof behind this kind of statement...can be misleading to others who are looking to relocate to the area. WH remains very desirable.
Here is a map of crime in West Hartford --

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

For some strange reason, there is more crime in closer you get to Hartford's border than Avon's. Gee, I wonder why!!!

For locals, like I used to be, the area between Park Rd to Farmington Ave is the shadiest.

Last edited by Yac; 04-05-2017 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-17-2017, 07:18 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Here is a map of crime in West Hartford --

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

For some strange reason, there is more crime in closer you get to Hartford's border than Avon's. Gee, I wonder why!!!

For locals, like I used to be, the area between Park Rd to Farmington Ave is the shadiest.
Uh... I know people that live in the shadiest area and they have had no issues. I believe that this map only shows the areas which have the higher crime rates in relation to other neighborhoods. Since West Hartford is a very safe town overall, that area would still be safe by normal standards. Since you have to pay to get the actual data, I can't see what they base their findings on so I find it all highly questionable. Jay

Last edited by Yac; 04-05-2017 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-17-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Uh... I know people that live in the shadiest area and they have had no issues. I believe that this map only shows the areas which have the higher crime rates in relation to other neighborhoods. Since West Hartford is a very safe town overall, that area would still be safe by normal standards. Since you have to pay to get the actual data, I can't see what they base their findings on so I find it all highly questionable. Jay
To be sure, I am not knocking West Hartford. I actually think, that maybe except Stamford, West Hartford is the best locale in CT for young professionals to move into.

My point is more on a micro level - that the eastern part of West Hartford, closest to Hartford, gets affected by Hartford's criminal element.

WH police has been trying to get on top of this, and crime in WH has dropped, but it is still there.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:17 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Ok. That's it. You are pulling our chain. I ain't no longer biting.
Ha,Getting trolled hard

Last edited by Sigequinox; 03-17-2017 at 09:21 PM..

Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So I take it you were one of those high school C students who had to leave? That's certainly how it works inside the Boston 128 belt. If you got into a good college and landed one of the high wage professional jobs, you stuck around. Otherwise, high housing costs pushed you out of the region. You can't afford non-frightening metro-Boston housing on service sector wages. It's like growing up in Darien and the only place you can afford housing is Bridgeport. All of a sudden, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Dallas start looking attractive.
Close. Grew up in NY. Moved to CT at 24 YOA to wed my then fiancé. Got one of the few stem jobs. Home owner by 25. Promotions. graduate degree (Uconn, not Yale, All A's though). While I'm a scientist in central CT and not a service sector employee in metro Boston, I ALSO do consulting for major international biotech company in FFC. Choose not to live in FFC because it's more expensive and no additional biotech in area. Those cities look attractive because I can read, prognosticate and have no emotional or sentimental baggage to cloud my judgement of CT. You almost nailed it though....

Old 03-19-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
The map(s) on that website are not relative, but standardized to create an index value and I believe the color gradient is reflective or that index score. It's based on number of different crime stats (from property crimes to homicide). Not sure how algorithm weights and applies these values, but they appear to collect data from individual municipalities so it should be interpretable across many boundaries and scales. Biggest limitation would obviously be difference in definitions and enforcement acrosss municipalities, states etc when interpreting. For example, West Hartford may more actively charge the kids on skateboards with property crime for grinding on the rails of a pharmacy in town, while new haven or Hartford, given their more serious criminal element would likely just tell the same group of kids to "beat it! Scram!" With no documented crime. Thebtypes of data collected actually go down to the neighborhood level, which is interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut