Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:14 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Now View Post
If you moved near the train station would you complain? If you moved near the steel mill would you complain? I for one just don't get it.
The problem is that Oakdale has increasingly louder shows that are now causing not only noise but vibration of homes nearby. When it started it was an outdoor venue that had shows that ended earlier and were mostly on weekends. Now they have shows that go late into the night and are on weeknights when people need to sleep for work the next day. I know someone that lives pretty far up the hill behind the theater and they have been awakened in the middle of the night by the noise and vibration and I think they are like a half mile away. I agree with you that if this will bother you, don't buy a home near it but there is a limit and the management of Oakdale seems to have crossed it by not being a good neighbor. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 01:23 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I think some of the problem can be contributed to the increase of bass (subwoofer) activity in "music" these days (I use the term loosely, I'm a fuddy-duddy).

No, I don't think it's all about that bass - but I think it is a contributing factor, beyond the overall volume.

They need to reduce that, and stop booking "bands" (again - loosely) that rely on it to sell tickets.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:53 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think some of the problem can be contributed to the increase of bass (subwoofer) activity in "music" these days (I use the term loosely, I'm a fuddy-duddy).

No, I don't think it's all about that bass - but I think it is a contributing factor, beyond the overall volume.

They need to reduce that, and stop booking "bands" (again - loosely) that rely on it to sell tickets.

This.

If they have to hand out earplugs to people at the show, they should just turn the bass down. It's only been a problem at EDM shows.

Still, I stand by my original assessment. Only happens a couple nights a year, and you knew what you were getting into by moving next to a concert venue.

If the Oakdale gets shut down I'm going to file a complaint about the train station that I live next to in Wallingford. Just to see if they take me seriously.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Has anyone heard about this? Oakdale is threatening to close. MyRecordJournal.com | Meriden, CT | Live Nation threatens closure of Oakdale in Wallingford

I hope not. This is a fun little venue.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Has anyone heard about this? Oakdale is threatening to close. MyRecordJournal.com | Meriden, CT | Live Nation threatens closure of Oakdale in Wallingford

I hope not. This is a fun little venue.
I doubt it will come to that. It all depends how hard the town wants to enforce the noise ordinance. The town is trying to enforce what was agreed to when the facility was rebuilt. If the owner stuck to that, they would likely not have this situation. We will see. Jay

Old 05-28-2015, 05:47 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
If the Oakdale gets shut down I'm going to file a complaint about the train station that I live next to in Wallingford. Just to see if they take me seriously.

Still considering this for real but now they're moving the train station, perhaps they read my mind.

I'm really sad about the Oakdale closing, one idiot is all it takes to ruin something great, I guess. Hope you liked that great deal on the house you bought. It was cheap for a reason.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:29 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Still considering this for real but now they're moving the train station, perhaps they read my mind.

I'm really sad about the Oakdale closing, one idiot is all it takes to ruin something great, I guess. Hope you liked that great deal on the house you bought. It was cheap for a reason.
I just heard on the radio it is NOT closing. They had a meeting with the town and will fight any talk of closure.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I just heard on the radio it is NOT closing. They had a meeting with the town and will fight any talk of closure.
I think this was a false threat. The operator is the one who is breaking the agreement they had when Oakdale was expanded. The lobby was supposed to be just that, a lobby. It was not supposed to be a place to hold concerts but that is what the operator is doing. I think if they stuck to their agreement with the town there would not have been an issue. They need to be better neighbors like the old Oakdale was for many years. Jay

Old 05-28-2015, 07:38 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Also, it wasn't the town threatening to shut down the Oakdale. It was the Oakdale threatening to close if they couldn't disregard the very specific terms they agreed to abide by during the rebuild years ago.

If you want to protest any Oakdale closings, you need to bring the protest to the Oakdale.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:04 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,490 times
Seems like a big company trying to push around the town and a town trying to watch out for their residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut