Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 10:23 AM

9 posts, read 33,805 times

Advertisements

I'd like to get views from those who have moved from Greenwich to New Canaan (NC), or vice versa. The two towns are often thought of as similar, and in many ways they are however I considered the two towns quite different. I'm not commuting to the city now but may have to in the future if my Stamford job disappears. I've been renting in Greenwich for 5 years and now want to buy. I'd like any insight on:

- How difficult was the commute adjustment - assuming commuting into the city to work in mid-town. Commute times are about 12 minutes longer compared to Old Greenwich and 22 minutes longer compared to downtown greenwich. But there are fewer direct trains from NC, and traveling at off-peak times involves changing at Stamford.

- New Canaan is quite a lot smaller and has more of a small town feel. The population is less diverse. Did this take some getting used to?

- Greenwich has options for evening entertainment, NC is getting better but still the options are more limited.

- New Canaan schools seem much better, I'm using the public school system.

- In Greenwich (or Darien), any house for around $1m seems to have serious issues or is on a busy road or has road noise. Whereas in NC there are some other options.

- House prices in Greenwich have really popped, whereas in NC I think the increase has been more steady and potentially more upside to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Obviously NC is a much longer commute than Greenwich. I know someone that commuted from NC and it wore on her very quickly. She wound up moving to Manhattan.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:45 PM

Sure, don't know why anyone would do it if they had the option of living close to work.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
It is very rare to see people moving between NC and Greenwich. The more typical situation is they're moving from NY or Stamford to those respective towns. I don't think the OP will get a great response to this thread in light of that. FWIW, most of my clients in NC view their community to be more similar to Wilton than to Greenwich.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:05 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Personally I would stick to Greenwich. The commute is a lot easier. Those 22 minutes make a big difference. You can even drive into the city as an option. If I had a $1MM+ housing budget and an NYC commute, I'd be in Greenwich over any CT town. Hands down. Then again, some people put up with insane commutes. Not for me.

I don't think NC appreciation will outpace Greenwich. They're both very solid investments.

NC schools do perform better in test scores, but IMO choosing one over another over schools is splitting hairs. The quality of education and experience will be similar.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:40 AM

26 posts, read 64,630 times
We have lived in greenwich, now in Darien and have a child in PV school in New Canaan, so are up there a lot. The schools are fabulous in NC, small w a prep school focus. The spur that is the train adds a lot to the commute to NYC, no doubt about it - it is a trek. Plus, you will loose beach access. The traffic b/t NC, the Merritt (15) and down into stamford to 95 near the train station is gridlocked if you are thinking of just driving that last bit. 45 min or more for a few miles at the wrong time of day. Truthfully, I love NC, but not for a train commuter for NYC. Some folks drive to the other side of the train fork into NY from there and take it down in... you may only be two miles from Mt. Kisco at the edge...

Old 11-11-2013, 10:56 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
It's not possible to be less than 20 minutes from Mt. Kisco anywhere in New Canaan, or any of the Harlem Line stations for that matter.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:09 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times
I don't think I know anyone who has moved from Greenwich to New Canaan so this is difficult to answer... they're very similar suburbs. As you already noted, Greenwich is bigger, more diverse and it's an easier commute to NYC. New Canaan is beautiful and the schools are great, but it's land locked and there's less to do. I don't think you can lose either way, a lot of people would envy the decision you're trying to make

Old 11-11-2013, 01:15 PM

Compared to Darien I think the express train is only 9 minutes longer to NC. If I'm coming back late I could leave the car at Darien (rather than Stamford) and jutst drive up from there. Really my other option is Darien because I'm now priced out of Greenwich.

I read 1/3 of working NC residents commute to the city.

Also, currently I work in Stamford, but who knows what the future will bring and most jobs are in the city so need to be prepared for that.

my wife works in white plains and the drive from south NC to white plains along the merrit seems ok. Not much more time that the 95/287 route from downtown Greenwich.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:27 PM

59 posts, read 139,714 times
One thing no one has mentioned is that the train line starts in New Canaan. While there are less trains, at least you are guaranteed to get a seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut