Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 11,248 times

Advertisements

We are currently house hunting in Fairfield and Trumbull, we love the lake hills and university areas but we find the inventory to be slim pickings so we are also expanding our search to Trumbull (seem to get alot more house for your money. our budget is between 375k-425k. We don't know much about the town, any insight, schools info?, neighborhoods to look in?

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 AM

5 posts, read 11,248 times
oh and my husband commutes to norwalk so we are trying to stay close to the Merrit

Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Trumbull is very different from Fairfield. It's generally upper middle class to middle class, whereas Fairfield is generally upper middle class with pockets of substantial wealth. Also, Trumbull is less dense with no real walkable center, and more wooded. Trumbull schools are good, but I have heard some mixed things about the high school. Others here will know more.

Your budget is definitely more appropriate for Trumbull, although don't expect a sizable new/updated house. Trumbull is still pricey.

This was suggested in another thread, but maybe look at Bethel too. Good commute (no traffic) to Norwalk. About 35-40 minutes. Good schools, nice town center, more affordable.

Shelton and Orange are nice options too that are a little less expensive than Trumbull. Shelton schools are slightly above average for the state and Orange schools rank very high. The commute will be longer than Trumbull, although the stretch of the Merritt coming up to Trumbull has no traffic - so you won't necessarily be adding any actual traffic to the commute, just time.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:51 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
The nice thing about Fairfield is the wide range of housing options. There is just about every type of home you would need. Both Lake Hills and Fairfield U areas are nice but you should also consider Fairfield Woods and Stratfield in your price range. These are equally nice neighborhoods. You really cannot go wrong with any area in town.

Trumbull does offer more for your money but to me it is a little too uniform in appearance. It is more suburban in character with more of the homes set in subdivision type neighborhoods. Still it is a good choice. I would try and stay north of the Parkway though for the better neighborhoods. Good luck, Jay

Old 07-02-2013, 02:19 PM

48 posts, read 91,776 times
We found the same thing looking in both towns, we settled on a nice house in the lower booth hill section of Trumbull (not a subdivision).

I do feel like there are a lot more ranches and raised ranches in Trumbull and not as many capes/colonials in that price range.

Trumbull is still pricey but you are correct you get more house for the money up there. Schools are great as well, they are on par with Fairfield last I checked (sometime last year). Staying North of the Merritt is a good bit of advice as well.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 PM

31 posts, read 78,407 times
We are also looking in Trumbull and wondering if someone can tell us where the neighborhoods are that are more well-established neighborhoods with pre-war colonials or bungalows (pretty much before 1940). We currently live in a home built in 1924 and we love it. Also wondering if anyone knows of a message board I could visit for parents in Trumbull. Not sure if anything exists like that but it would be great to have access to it if it does.
Thanks!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl13 View Post
We are also looking in Trumbull and wondering if someone can tell us where the neighborhoods are that are more well-established neighborhoods with pre-war colonials or bungalows (pretty much before 1940). We currently live in a home built in 1924 and we love it. Also wondering if anyone knows of a message board I could visit for parents in Trumbull. Not sure if anything exists like that but it would be great to have access to it if it does.
Thanks!
I generally recommend staying north of the Merritt for the best neighborhoods in Trumbull. You could look south of the Merritt but I would avoid the area between Main Street and Route 25. There is a public housing project off Reservoir Avenue just south of the Trumbull town line in Bridgeport that has a questionable history. Jay

Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 AM

837 posts, read 2,084,066 times
I have to echo the other posters here. OP, your budget will get you into both Fairfield and Trumbull, but you will definitely get more house-for-the-buck with Trumbull.

The Stratfield and Fairfield Woods neighborhoods are nice, but they are definitely more catered towards middle class than upper class. <-- subjective opinion. I have also heard some folks comment about those neighborhoods' proximity to Bridgeport. Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal since the neighboring sections of Bridgeport are the more desirable ones (e.g. Sacred Heart University and GE).

The Fairfield public school system is one of the best in the state. Trumbull is good, but I've heard some unfavorable stories about its high school. St. Joseph's (the all-girls private high school) is better, but that also means paying quite a bit of money in tuition dollars.

Commute to Norwalk would be a bit easier from Fairfield. Traffic along the Merritt usually starts around Exit 48, and it can take around 20-30 minutes in rush hour traffic just to traverse to Exits 44 and 46 (the two logical Merritt exits for Stratfield and Fairfield Woods).

Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I have to echo the other posters here. OP, your budget will get you into both Fairfield and Trumbull, but you will definitely get more house-for-the-buck with Trumbull.

The Stratfield and Fairfield Woods neighborhoods are nice, but they are definitely more catered towards middle class than upper class. <-- subjective opinion. I have also heard some folks comment about those neighborhoods' proximity to Bridgeport. Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal since the neighboring sections of Bridgeport are the more desirable ones (e.g. Sacred Heart University and GE).

The Fairfield public school system is one of the best in the state. Trumbull is good, but I've heard some unfavorable stories about its high school. St. Joseph's (the all-girls private high school) is better, but that also means paying quite a bit of money in tuition dollars.
Commute to Norwalk would be a bit easier from Fairfield. Traffic along the Merritt usually starts around Exit 48, and it can take around 20-30 minutes in rush hour traffic just to traverse to Exits 44 and 46 (the two logical Merritt exits for Stratfield and Fairfield Woods).
St. Joseph's is not all girls. It is coeducational. Jay

Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 AM

837 posts, read 2,084,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
St. Joseph's is not all girls. It is coeducational. Jay
Ah, you're right. My apologies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut