Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 PM

12 posts, read 49,617 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I might be relocating to CT next year and I'm not sure if I should look in Stamford or Norwalk for a place to live. My company will be located in Stamford. I've done some prelim work and Stamford seems very expensive. Norwalk seemed more affordable, but I wasn't getting a city vibe from it. I was born and raised in NYC, but I've spent the last 15 yrs in Chicago. As such, I'm very much a big city person and would like to find that atmosphere in CT. Bridgeport seemed more my speed, but I think there may be a crime issue there.

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions you guys may have.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 09:39 PM

7 posts, read 44,861 times
Hi,

Between the two cities, I think that Stamford would give you more of a big city atmosphere. There's been alot of development happening downtown during the past few years, and I think Stamford is a bit more active. While Norwalk is also nice and has its attractions and activites, I feel it is more spread out then Stamford. Stamford has a centrally located down town area with many restaurants, shops, night clubs, and hotels that you can easily walk throughout.

Also, even though it is only a couple of exits on 95 or the Merritt, traffic gets very congested going from Norwalk to Stamford in the morning and from Stamford to Norwalk in afternoon rush hour traffic. However, you're right that Stamford will be more expensive, although Norwalk's prices have become pretty high as well. So, I guess it depends on your price range and if you'd be buying or renting.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:30 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Coming from NYC I'd say your best bet is Stamford. It's expensive, but I think you're better off living in Stamford than saving a little (if anything at all) and living in Norwalk and commuting. As already mentioned the commute can be very stressful going just a few exits on 95 or the Merritt. It's taken me 40 minutes to go from exit 11 to exit 8.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:22 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrelaJoman View Post
Hi,

I might be relocating to CT next year and I'm not sure if I should look in Stamford or Norwalk for a place to live. My company will be located in Stamford. I've done some prelim work and Stamford seems very expensive. Norwalk seemed more affordable, but I wasn't getting a city vibe from it. I was born and raised in NYC, but I've spent the last 15 yrs in Chicago. As such, I'm very much a big city person and would like to find that atmosphere in CT. Bridgeport seemed more my speed, but I think there may be a crime issue there.

Thanks.

Stamfords a bigger busier city more akin to NYC. Norwalk, other than a couple small sections is more of a town than a city. The commute isn't as big a deal as one might think. Its not hard at all to totally avoid 95 or the parkway going between Norwalk & Stamford.

Bridgeport I would leave alone but thats personal bias I supose. I'v lived in Norwalk since 76 & have family in Stamford. Theyre both great but I like Norwalk better.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:06 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,019,328 times
Stamford's huge corporate presence, and rapid commercial developments over the past several years, give it more of a large city feel- even though it only has 125,000 people. It has a low crime rate, and has been voted by CNN/Money as one of the best places to live in the USA many times. Much of its growth has been tied to NYC- with growth slowing in CT and also NY now, it may put a damper on the real estate and financial sectors.

Norwalk, population 90,000 (2007 estimate) is a slightly smaller city. In the mid-1970s, the city government and several local organizations started successful efforts to revitalize the South Norwalk business district ("SoNo"). The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk was founded as part of that effort. Norwalk will be less expensive then Stamford

Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards Stamford, but was afraid that it would be as expensive as NYC is.

I currently own a condo now, but would probably rent in Stamford for a year to make sure that it's where I want to be. I'd be looking for a 2 bedroom/1+ bath for around $1,500. Does that sound like something I can get in Stamford?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:35 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.

Stamford is pretty pricey, but what is your budget? Norwalk is smaller than Stamford, but strangely its shopping options makes it feel like a bigger city (many more chain stores like Wal-Mart, Kohls, Home Depot. It's downtown, though, is tiny compared to Stamford. South Norwalk is a very hip, cool, and trendy location in Norwalk. You should check that 'hood out. It's right on the water too. Stamford is just 45 mins from the city. It's a great city with a super quality of life--but Norwalk is also. I'd probably recommend Stamford just over Norwalk due to the proximity to the city.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Hi,
Bridgeport seemed more my speed, but I think there may be a crime issue there.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, as for Bridgeport, well, if you take a look at Bridgeport, look only at Black Rock. It's a pretty cool, seaside, New England-ish getaway vibe. There are a couple of other nice neighborhoods in the city, but overall, Bridgeport suffers from urban blight, poverty, and crime. It's trying to make a comeback, but efforts have recently stalled due to mismanagement, corruption, and the present economy. Black Rock's the only 'hood for a young person though in Bridgeport. It's pretty nice too, so if you want, check it out. Much cheaper than Norwalk or Stamford.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:14 AM

I'm starting to believe that I won't be able to afford living in Stamford or Norwalk. A friend of mine said that White Plains, NY isn't that far from Stamford. Do you guys know what the commute would be like from WP to Stamford?

Old 05-31-2008, 01:34 PM

Well, TrelaJoman, realize that White Plains is in Westchester County, NY, which is just as wealthy and expensive as Fairfield County. As-a-matter-of-fact, I just did a Craigslist search for White Plains apartments vs Stamford apartments--1 bedrooms under $1000. I found just 4 in White Plains, while Stamford had about 10-12 listed. White Plains is smaller in population than Stamford, but has had a major downtown revitalization in the past 6 or 8 years and it is expensive. Trust me--Norwalk is cheaper, and Stamford will probably have more options due to it being twice the size of White Plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut