Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:37 PM

713 posts, read 760,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Wait... are you saying someone that pulls the trigger on innocent people has no mental issues?

Unless it's self defense or an accident, I think there's a backwards trigger in the mind for pulling a gun on someone...no matter how sane you say or act like you are. That's a decision that should of never been made.

Just like we have drivers tests, maybe we need mental tests too, especially with the crap food and LDA's out there.
There is a difference between mental issues and moral issues.

Yes, most of the killers you see on the news are not classified as having mental issues, just cold hearted killers, yet they still kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:35 AM

14 posts, read 20,025 times
Heartbreaking as Newtown was, we have to look forward not backward now that the final report was released. I think we need to start by protecting ourselves and our children from the violence in the entertainment media. There are so many gory and scary shows on TV or video games these days that I don't think grown adults should be watching. Adam's parents failed to keep this material away from their son even from an early age...instead over the years, they just encouraged it by transforming violent fiction into violent reality with actual guns and shooting lessons.

We have seen over and over that we cannot rely on the government to improve gun control or improve mental health access. We can only hold ourselves accountable to raising our kids and to our communities. I think it's time we start turning off the tv and the video games in our homes, and start taking a closer and deeper look at who our neighbors and members in our communities really are.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu85 View Post
Heartbreaking as Newtown was, we have to look forward not backward now that the final report was released. I think we need to start by protecting ourselves and our children from the violence in the entertainment media. There are so many gory and scary shows on TV or video games these days that I don't think grown adults should be watching. Adam's parents failed to keep this material away from their son even from an early age...instead over the years, they just encouraged it by transforming violent fiction into violent reality with actual guns and shooting lessons.

We have seen over and over that we cannot rely on the government to improve gun control or improve mental health access. We can only hold ourselves accountable to raising our kids and to our communities. I think it's time we start turning off the tv and the video games in our homes, and start taking a closer and deeper look at who our neighbors and members in our communities really are.
Great post.

I think one place to start is for people to be better educated on the signs and symptoms of mental illness. What we may pass off as "weird" may well be a sign of dangerous behavior or mental illness. Mental illness is generally treatable-- and like all things earlier is better.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
There is a difference between mental issues and moral issues.

Yes, most of the killers you see on the news are not classified as having mental issues, just cold hearted killers, yet they still kill.
From a criminology perspective, perhaps we have to separate "murders" many of which are perpetrated by non-mentally ill people in the context of other illegal activity (drug trade, spousal abuse, etc) and mass killings. It appears to me, at least recently, there is a pretty strong correlation between mental illness and the mass murders we have witnessed in the last 10 years.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:49 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
As for the violent content on tv, when did that level of violence become legal? It seems to me that this level of violence never used to be allowed.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Newtown shooter called radio show year before attack, newspaper says - CNN.com

Old 01-16-2014, 01:56 PM

Yes, I saw this earlier. Bizarre.

The shootings weren't a random event, but the culmination of years of rumination, mental illness and parental neglect.

(1) The underlying mental illness should have been treated.
(2) The mentally ill individual should not have had access to firearms.

Two pronged problem.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:19 PM

413 posts, read 1,106,284 times
Does anyone know why the mother was so resistant to treatment and guidance? I can't help but wonder whether she sacrificed ethics and socialization for bragging rights about his intelligence -- whether she was that narcissistic. It doesn't look like she was struggling to get him help. It looks as if she thought that she knew better. I wonder if she would have accepted home-based help if it were offered.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:28 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
I suspect that she was an isolated, depressed alcoholic. And if you have children, or know people with children, you understand how incredibly defensive people can become when told that there is something wrong with their child. The only social contact that we ever heard that the mother had in recent years was a man from a nearby bar that she frequented. Even when she decided to leave the shooter alone as a brief trial (which apparently tipped him over the edge, since he killed her and left the house to slaughter the children and staff at the nearby school right after she got back), she went somewhere alone.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:44 PM

413 posts, read 1,106,284 times
Wow. You could propose that she was the one that needed psychiatric help. He was just pure evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut