Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Agreed. Go to some bad areas of Detroit or Chicago for real perspective on what dangerous is.

I guess Hartford North End is not dangerous enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 AM

468 posts, read 708,943 times
We'll have to agree to disagree about Bridgeport being a bigger cesspool than Waterbury. Bridgeport still has plenty of bleed-over from Fairfield and New York and a fair number of major corporations/law firms/etc downtown. Waterbury has nothing. My friend worked at a law firm in Waterbury for a summer and complained that there was literally nowhere decent for them to get lunch during the day. You wouldn't have that issue in Bridgeport.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree about Bridgeport being a bigger cesspool than Waterbury. Bridgeport still has plenty of bleed-over from Fairfield and New York and a fair number of major corporations/law firms/etc downtown. Waterbury has nothing. My friend worked at a law firm in Waterbury for a summer and complained that there was literally nowhere decent for them to get lunch during the day. You wouldn't have that issue in Bridgeport.
Then your friend needs to look around.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Restaurants downtown Waterbury, CT

There numer of Law Firms, Major Corporations in Waterbury your freind is lazy

Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I guess Hartford North End is not dangerous enough
Not compared to bad areas of Detroit, no.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:01 PM

13 posts, read 23,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Agreed. Go to some bad areas of Detroit or Chicago for real perspective on what dangerous is.
Yes there are worse areas in the country such as areas in Detroit and Chicago but that Doesn't mean that Hartford north end and Bridgeport are not dangerous. Waterbury is not as dangerous as places like Hartford but it is still a bad place and it is impossible to say it is nice. I live quite close to waterbury and go there often and I constantly feel depressed when going there. The downtown area is awful. Right around the green is ok but other than that, there are few nice neighborhoods there. I don't think the city of waterbury will ever go back to being a nice city...and overall CT is slowly getting worse and worse and every bigger city is bad here.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:43 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCA View Post
Yes there are worse areas in the country such as areas in Detroit and Chicago but that Doesn't mean that Hartford north end and Bridgeport are not dangerous. Waterbury is not as dangerous as places like Hartford but it is still a bad place and it is impossible to say it is nice. I live quite close to waterbury and go there often and I constantly feel depressed when going there. The downtown area is awful. Right around the green is ok but other than that, there are few nice neighborhoods there. I don't think the city of waterbury will ever go back to being a nice city...and overall CT is slowly getting worse and worse and every bigger city is bad here.

You definitely can't say that about Stamford.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:53 PM

13 posts, read 23,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You definitely can't say that about Stamford.
That is true, I forgot to mention Stamford, but it is really the only one that is nice.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Spoken like a true suburbanite living in a rural suburb. What major city does not have bad areas? What major city does not have poverty and crime? Even cities like Boston and New York have bad areas (many in fact) but the difference is that Connecticut's cities are very small in area so crime statistics tend to be skewed. I am not saying you are wrong about Waterbury but Hartford, Bridgeport and New Haven overall are not much different than comparable metropolitain areas of their sixe. Jay

Old 01-12-2014, 12:25 PM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
That is true, I forgot to mention Stamford, but it is really the only one that is nice.
New Haven still has problem areas, but you can't deny it's been getting better every year for the past decade and is on the trajectory for improving, not declining.

Even Bridgeport and Hartford's crime has been declining.

Why so negative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut