Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 PM

10 posts, read 11,482 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm a 27 year old woman who plans to begin the international adoption process in about a year (a process that usually takes about 3 years once you begin it). In the next few years I would like to buy a home since I know my current rental house will be too small- and I'm sick of paying rent. I've been a business owner since I was 18 and living on my own more or less so it's been almost 10 years of renting.

I grew up in CT- but in the top of the state (Canton) so I know the state pretty decently- but am still a bit lost. I work in Westport. I'm a business owner so I have a flexible schedule and only go down to Westport (or sometimes Greenwich- where many of my customers live) a couple times a week. My family lives in the Hartford area- Middletown. Ideally- I'd like to be somewhere in between.

Right now I'm renting a small home in Milford CT. I love Milford- but I know it will be out of my budget when I go to buy.

I'm looking to eventually buy a home (no rush so have plenty of time to look for the right place) that is:

-Under 250,000
-Easy to maintain- as a single woman- I don't want a house that is too old. I've always preferred older houses for the charm- but I'm willing to sacrifice charm for ease right now. It will probably only be a 5 year home so I'm okay with a little less charm. Track neighborhoods- which used to be the enemy- are seeming a bit more appealing now Sounds crazy coming from me because I always used to be all about charm- but I just want something newer and easier for this chapter of life.
-Don't need a lot of square footage. Looking for about 1300-1600 square feet. 2 or 3 bedrooms- preferably 3 but it's not a big concern.

In terms of the town- I've been looking in Hamden (where I used to live- and like a lot- but it's mostly older homes that need some TLC), Shelton, West Haven, Milford (altho very little is available in my range). I'm open to towns more in the Derby area- although don't know them super well. I understand with my budget I won't get the "cutest town" in the entire world- but do like a town that is not overly dumpy. Wish I could figure out a more eloquent way to put that....

Also quality of schools does not matter as I am looking for it to only be a 5 year old and also a huge homeschool advocate. (Could I sound any crunchier or more unorthodox in this post?) A town like West Haven, with less than stellar schools, would be fine if there were some quite safe, nice parts of it.

I realize my request for newer construction (especially within my budget) in CT is a pretty hard one to come by. CT is not known for new construction- especially down in the part of the state I'm in.

Thanks in advance for directing me in the right direction!

Last edited by cantremembername; 01-13-2014 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 PM

Also open to towns that might have older construction homes that are updated within my price range- a rarity I know! I do prefer the look of an older home- but most of them need updating!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Why do you think Milford will be out of your budget? A few homes in your price range and needs (remember, if it's listed at $260k - you can always offer $240k). Much of Milford is 1950's-1970's home in the price range and size you mention. They may not be fully updated, but will be in good shape at that price. Taxes are lower than West Haven and it's a much nicer town in general, although you will get more home for your money in West Haven. The West Shore area of West Haven is another place I would look. You could also consider Stratford, though it's only very slightly less expensive than Milford. Shelton is close in price to Milford too.

Another town to consider is Seymour. Nicer than Derby, but pretty low prices.

You're not likely to find new construction at your price range anywhere unless it's a condo/townhouse.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 PM

Thanks Stylo! I'm not hoping for new construction- but just something that isn't super old. My last house that I rented for 3 years was a non-updated 1940's home and it just got to be too much upkeep for a single woman like myself.

Thanks for posting that- I suppose since I have a lot of time to look- I could definitely keep Milford on my list. I truly do love it- and the location couldn't be better for work + my family.

I don't know much about Seymour. I'm guessing not as nice as Shelton but nicer than Derby? Does it feel overly blue collar? (Hope I'm not offending anyone with my questions!)

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know about the taxes. That definitely makes a big difference.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantremembername View Post
I'm guessing not as nice as Shelton but nicer than Derby? Does it feel overly blue collar? (Hope I'm not offending anyone with my questions!)
That's accurate. It's a good mix of blue/white collar. Kind of like Milford in that regard, except it doesn't have the pockets of wealth that Milford has - nor is it as densely developed.

This just came off the market, I'm assuming it sold. It was a foreclosure that they flipped and completely renovated. Good example of what you could get. It was listed for $256k:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/42...57947170_zpid/

Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 PM

Something like this would be a good match- altho not sure what the heck they did with that lower level! Looks a bit like a hot mess hah!

145 Branca Ct, Milford, CT, Connecticut 06461, Milford real estate, Milford home for sale

Old 01-13-2014, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the info on Seymour! Will look into it!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:45 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
You're doing fine picking towns on your own. Since you have to go to Greenwich a couple of times a week, maybe stay no further east/north than Hamden.

I do think you're going to have to compromise on the age of the house. The housing market collapsed around 2008. In your price range, you're looking at what are often called " starter" homes for the area. That means homes toward the lower ranges of value. Builders were not willing to built inexpensive homes while the market was in dire straights.

That doesn't mean there are none, just that 5 year old homes under $ 250,000 may very few and far between. However, if you stretch your age range a little you may do better. A home with city water & sewer is helpful as you don't have to worry about well pumps and septic systems. Slightly older homes than five years that have been renovated or well maintained can be just as good as a newer home.

Something like this in Seymour might work. Good luck

74 Colony Rd, Seymour, CT 06483 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 01-13-2014, 10:50 PM

Thanks so much willow wind! Yes that home is more or less what I'm looking for. I'd really like a more modern floor plan- or a house that has been updated to have a more modern floor plan. I have a love hate relationship with split levels. In one sense I really like them- I have fond memories of childhood at certain daycares in split levels. But I feel like if the basement is overly dark- that is a negative for split levels. It would need to be a well lit one with windows. Overall I think a lot of split levels will end up being in my consideration pool since they tend to be a bit 'newer' and have more open layouts.

Looking at Hamden- which I did like living in (altho I prefer milford and hate to move back to Hamden!)- and I do have to say that there are a ton of homes in my price range that are good matches. So far will make my list Milford, Hamden, and Seymour. Will head over and drive around Seymour soon and see how I feel about the vibe of the town. I grew up in Naugatuck from age 2-8 and so some of those towns in that are remind me too much of Naugatuck- in a blue collar kind of way that reminds me of some of the things I didn't like about growing up in Naugatuck before I moved to Canton. So would have to see if it felt too much like that to me.

Thanks again!!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:08 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
You may find that certain types of homes work well at certain times in your life. Those raised ranch/split level types can be very useful when you have children and want to have a home office for yourself, plus play area/ room for schooling for a child. The more nicely finished space you have the better it is to sprawl out and be comfortable.

Seymour has come up a lot in the world in the past 15 years or so. IMO, it's pretty much shed it's total factory town image and now attracts a slew of younger white collar workers too. Lower Fairfield county is just so expensive in most areas that it's pushed people up into the Seymour area. That plus the loss of factory jobs has changed the demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut