Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:12 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
All the liberals want to do in this state is spend, spend, spend. No amount of our money is ever enough for them. When the economy is doing well, they increase spending by 10+% per year, creating a permanent new level of spending that they then refuse to reduce when the economy goes bad. Then they say a tax increase is necessary. When the economy recovers and revenues increase, they just increase spending to ever higher levels. Rinse and repeat. These people won't be satisfied until they're taking 100% of our income. Even that probably won't be enough for them.
You do realize that Connecticut had 20 years of Republican governors before Malloy took office in 2010?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
CT has steady job loss, negative GDP and a net migration of people and companies out of the state

Malloy raised taxes the most in state history and then he increased spending 10%

The Democratic way of governing the state has been to raise taxes and increase spending at the cost of everything else.

The point is that other states decided enough is enough and cut spending then used the surplus to pay back the tax payers. The end result is higher growth and a balanced budget.
Companies have been leaving CT for cheaper environments for decades - I remember workers at Pratt & Whitney striking in East Hartford & Middletown to protest Pratt moving jobs to Georgia back in the 1970s.

Malloy inherited a huge deficit from Rell - wasn't it over $1 billion? Now, it's a surplus. The surplus should be used to pay down the state's long-term debt, but it also could be used (like Scott Walker is doing) to bribe voters to vote for Malloy.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:37 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
All the liberals want to do in this state is spend, spend, spend. No amount of our money is ever enough for them. When the economy is doing well, they increase spending by 10+% per year, creating a permanent new level of spending that they then refuse to reduce when the economy goes bad. Then they say a tax increase is necessary. When the economy recovers and revenues increase, they just increase spending to ever higher levels. Rinse and repeat. These people won't be satisfied until they're taking 100% of our income. Even that probably won't be enough for them.
I must say though, while true, the establishment GOP has been just as bad in recent years. I'm sick of the establishment and crony capitalism. There are a lot of so called Republicans that are frauds.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:38 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I must say though, while true, the establishment GOP has been just as bad in recent years. I'm sick of the establishment and crony capitalism. There are a lot of so called Republicans that are frauds.
RINOs.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:40 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
So tell me, what will thus surplus be used for? And why do I have a feeling our taxes will not get lower, probably increase, and spending will go up?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
So tell me, what will thus surplus be used for? And why do I have a feeling our taxes will not get lower, probably increase, and spending will go up?
I think most of the talk has been about re-instating the sales tax exemption on clothing under $50 and a few other items.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:03 AM

48 posts, read 145,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
TURNAROUND! $1 Billion Surplus in Wisconsin...Gov. Scott Walker Returning It to Taxpayers - Fox Nation

Scott Walker did it in Wisconsin and if voters here stop obsessing with guns the evil rich and victimizing minority groups CT could as well.
Well said... The evil rich, the evil rich corporations, and gasp, the right to bear arms. How dare he! And Fox Nation!! Double gasp!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:15 AM

48 posts, read 145,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
You do realize that Connecticut had 20 years of Republican governors before Malloy took office in 2010?
O'Neill (D) was Gov. from 1980-1991

Lowell Weicker (I) was Gov. starting in 1991

Old 01-27-2014, 06:29 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POAlover View Post
O'Neill (D) was Gov. from 1980-1991

Lowell Weicker (I) was Gov. starting in 1991
I know you're new-- But Felonious John Rowland(R) took over as governor in 1995. That's 19 years ago. I'm not sure what you think you're correcting.

Ella Grasso was governor from 1976 - 1980. She was a Democrat too. Not sure what your point is.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:31 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POAlover View Post
Well said... The evil rich, the evil rich corporations, and gasp, the right to bear arms. How dare he! And Fox Nation!! Double gasp!
So-- Real liberal here. Not Rush Limbaugh telling you what liberals think.

I don't think the rich are evil. I grew up on the coast of Westport with a few dollars.

I don't think corporations are evil. I've owned two and am on my third.

I think you have every right to bear arms.

Maybe the "Fox Nation" you acclaim has you a tad misinformed? (Wouldn't that be a shock?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut