Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 AM

720 posts, read 919,775 times

Advertisements

There seems to be some gray areas in this, I asked a few attys and got different answers. If I am a landlord and I get a call from a section 8 tenant, can I advise him or her that I do not paricipate in the section 8 program, as I belive it has to pass the municipal inspection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:01 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
There seems to be some gray areas in this, I asked a few attys and got different answers. If I am a landlord and I get a call from a section 8 tenant, can I advise him or her that I do not paricipate in the section 8 program, as I belive it has to pass the municipal inspection?

Of course, Section 8 is purely a voluntary program. There's no gray area on your question. What did the attorney say?

Old 01-27-2014, 10:15 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
How big a dwelling is this? I believe the laws are different if it's 4 units or less vs something bigger.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:17 AM

720 posts, read 919,775 times
Its a single home residence, a friend of mine who is an atty advised that it may be discrimination if I deny a section 8 tenant as this would be discrimination based on income. Another atty advised me that I am not obligated to take sec 8 tenants, will have to investigate this further.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:18 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Of course, Section 8 is purely a voluntary program. There's no gray area on your question. What did the attorney say?

This is my understanding. I haven't taken section 8 in my rental properties.

Last edited by mlassoff; 01-27-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 01-27-2014, 10:36 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Wow. It amazes me how many "landlords" do not care to bother to know the laws in the business that they choose to participate. Not "accepting" section 8 tenants are a violation of both federal and state laws. Its discrimination by source of income. At least some easily admit when they break the law.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Wow. It amazes me how many "landlords" do not care to bother to know the laws in the business that they choose to participate. Not "accepting" section 8 tenants are a violation of both federal and state laws. Its discrimination by source of income. At least some easily admit when they break the law.
I want "fiddy centz" house in Farmington. I demand the bank give me a loan to buy that house and that ol' Curtis sell it to me immediately. If not, it's discrimination!!

BTW I think your wrong. Sounds like it's voluntary and that the housing must be approved for section 8. My head hurts just reading this stuff. I'll leave it to those of you who understand real estate jargon.

http://www.ct.gov/dss/cwp/view.asp?a=2353&q=305208

Old 01-27-2014, 10:51 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I want "fiddy centz" house in Farmington. I demand the bank give me a loan to buy that house and that ol' Curtis sell it to me immediately. If not, it's discrimination!!

BTW I think your wrong. Sounds like it's voluntary and that the housing must be approved for section 8. My head hurts just reading this stuff. I'll leave it to those of you who understand real estate jargon.

DSS: Housing Assistance - Section 8

That is nothing like and has nothing to do with section 8. You're "sounds like" is also 100% wrong. You're great at mocking the poor it seems. Not so good at reading the law though.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
That is nothing like and has nothing to do with section 8. You're "sounds like" is also 100% wrong. You're great at mocking the poor it seems. Not so good at reading the law though.
Good grief.

LANDLORD PARTICIPATION IN THE SECTION 8 RENTAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM

Quote:
Landlords are not required to rent to anyone, including recipients of Section 8, a federal rental assistance program. But most landlords cannot discriminate against (includes refusing to rent to) a prospective tenant because he is a Section 8 recipient or derives his income from any other lawful source. Thus, a landlord who screens prospective tenants and lawfully determines that someone who happens to be a Section 8 recipient would not be an appropriate tenant for his building can reject him and rent to someone else. But he could not refuse to rent to the prospective tenant solely because he receives Section 8.

If a landlord elects to accept a Section 8 recipient as a tenant, he must enter a contract with the local Section 8 program administrator (usually a public housing authority), and comply with federal program regulations on such matters as lease terms and changes to them, rent increases, and eviction.
We never had a qualified section 8 tenant apply, so, it hasn't been an issue.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Most often section 8 tenants are single parents with children. Most are working but can't afford market rents.

I never see people demanding to live in $20 million dollar mansions with Section 8 assistance. You only demean yourself with this type of post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut