Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:22 PM

786 posts, read 3,924,309 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Berlin, but the crime statistics for 2006 show 6 murders. Can anyone explain? Is Berlin a high crime area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 03:42 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,020,192 times
Berlin is not known to be a high crime town. As you obviously saw at City Data, crime reached an all time high of 190- compared to a national average of 299. The previous year was 122. There where no reported murders the previous years- I have no idea how and what the circumstances of those murders where.

Information might be available at the Berlin Police department, or the state of Connecticut department of public safety.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,973 times
Berlin is VERY safe. It is a really quiet little town. Not much of anything goes on there, I know folks who live there who do not lock their doors (never smart, but then, they've never had a problem).

The murders were probably at the flop motels on the Berlin Turnpike. That's way on the edge of town.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 PM

575 posts, read 3,131,980 times
Berlin is relatively safe, most murders that do occur are quite rare, especially for the suburbs. They're usually targeted crimes. The town has the Berlin Turnpike which is a main state road as well as a shopping meca, so lot of people travel through the town and this is where the majority of crimes take place.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,918,061 times
There were six murders in Berlin??? I don't remember reading about any of them. That goes to show you how people perceive a town when they question with surprise that this really happened (I am not questioning what you say but am surprised by it). Berlin is a nice small town in central Connecticut. It is not known for being unsafe. The main issues are typical small town things like burglaries and domestic disputes. There are a few shady motels and bars along the Berlin Turnpike that also can have issues but even these are pretty few now. It is a nice town and I would not think twice about moving there. Jay

Old 11-29-2007, 09:42 PM

I was surprised by it too since it doesn't fit with what I've read on this forum about Berlin and previous years statistics. I thought someone more familiar with the area might have better insight - maybe it was something domestic? We currently live on the West Coast so doing a lot of research online. A google search didn't produce any news articles on it either. Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 AM

2 posts, read 23,394 times
Berlin CT seems like a good small town and its not bad in comparison to others. The people here however, like to put their noses up and blinders on in the mornings. There is a lot of cocaine in the school systems and amongst the adult community too. Perhaps that is because of the money. One example is the major drug house on Fairview that was raided a couple years ago. The crime that does occur here isnt major but is often kept on the down low to keep the town looking good.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:13 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,030 times
Default Crime Stats in Berlin CT

Berlin CT crime ridden..NOT. I worked in Berlin for 13 years and loved the area. I don't recall hearing anything about killings let alone 6 of them in that area. Heck it could have been the Berlin turnpike they were talking about. This is technically called Route 5 but by locals it is called the Berlin Turnpike. There use to be a lot of seedy hotels along this route but they are starting to clean things up a bit. As for a residential area in Berlin you could not possibly go wrong. The turnpike is not all that close to where you would maybe be looking for housing.

You don't say if you have taken a ride through this area or not. If you do, check out Percival Road and also the Chamberlain Highway area of Berlin...both nice areas. Also Kensington is very close to Berlin...side by side as a matter of fact and VERY country.

Don't go by those stats you read as I do have a feeling they are referring to the Berlin Turnpke/Route 5 are.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:56 AM

I asked this question about a year and a half ago before we moved to CT. We were still in CA at the time so I had no idea, just saw the crime stats. I think I eventually found out the the "murder" statistics were actually a traffic accident in which the driver was found negligent. We did not end up in Berlin, but that is where my husband works and yes, it is a nice, safe area.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 AM

193 posts, read 481,896 times
I live in Berlin, definitely a safe little town. Although, I would suggest you look at Southington too. A bit less "urban" (not that Berlin is urban, but it's a little 1980's strip mally and Southington is a bit more rural).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut