Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:57 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times

Advertisements

As far as cost of living ( DH & I both have numerous family members living in the Bay area and in the San Diego area and we visit on a regular basis and have for decades.) We browse houses and cost of living every time we go- lol . You're going to find this.

You'll save big on utilities. The closer you are to the coast the more even the climate. You'll seldom need heat or AC. Big, big savings. Both those regions are huge, as they are both cities and giant counties. The further inland you go, the hotter the summers will be and the more you will need AC ( much more desert type ). It's a land of micro climates, depending on proximity to the ocean. The ocean is cold.

Rents will be similar, but you'll find tons of really nice rentals. There will be many apartment communities. The type of places where you can rent either an apartment or townhouse that comes with pool, clubhouse, other amenities. Homes prices will vary, again depending upon what town/area and how far inland you are. What you will find, is that homes, even large homes, are on,for what we would consider to be teeny, tiny lots. Residential areas may seem much more dense than what you're used to.

Gasoline may be a bit more expensive, groceries and most other things not much difference to worry. about. What I always find unusual is that single family housing in CA is expensive overall, very expensive for what you get. At the same time, salaries in southern CA seem to be slightly lower than CT for comparable jobs. ( IMO).

Have you picked an area where you expect to live ? LA is huge. PS- it's a good move- I think you'll like it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 04:04 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I thought LA was way too big, congested, expensive and pretentious. The weather is very monotonous and boring. I love dark gray overcast for days on end, snow, as well as 100 degree weather with high humidity.
What do you think of Stamford? Norwalk? Vernon? Charlotte?

......I'll stop now.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
As far as cost of living ( DH & I both have numerous family members living in the Bay area and in the San Diego area and we visit on a regular basis and have for decades.) We browse houses and cost of living every time we go- lol . You're going to find this.

You'll save big on utilities. The closer you are to the coast the more even the climate. You'll seldom need heat or AC. Big, big savings. Both those regions are huge, as they are both cities and giant counties. The further inland you go, the hotter the summers will be and the more you will need AC ( much more desert type ). It's a land of micro climates, depending on proximity to the ocean. The ocean is cold.

Rents will be similar, but you'll find tons of really nice rentals. There will be many apartment communities. The type of places where you can rent either an apartment or townhouse that comes with pool, clubhouse, other amenities. Homes prices will vary, again depending upon what town/area and how far inland you are. What you will find, is that homes, even large homes, are on,for what we would consider to be teeny, tiny lots. Residential areas may seem much more dense than what you're used to.

Gasoline may be a bit more expensive, groceries and most other things not much difference to worry. about. What I always find unusual is that single family housing in CA is expensive overall, very expensive for what you get. At the same time, salaries in southern CA seem to be slightly lower than CT for comparable jobs. ( IMO).

Have you picked an area where you expect to live ? LA is huge. PS- it's a good move- I think you'll like it there.
Thanks, that's what I'm finding ....that rents are similar and in lots of cases higher in Stamford. We are looking in Century City area of LA, but people on the CA forum have told me that its cheaper if I go further out, but then it seems like utilities rise and I would have to deal with traffic, kind of like living in New Haven and commuting to Stamford...

Old 03-05-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

......I'll stop now.
Lol, awesome

Old 03-05-2014, 05:57 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

......I'll stop now.
Among all of those, Vernon was the best, in my opinion. Just a regular middle class semi-quaint, semi-laid back town with nearby natural beauty. Probably the best town I ever lived in, actually.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 AM

Hey guys, once again thanks for all of the comments.

I went to LA for a few days and honestly, I hated it. It felt dirty, there are traffic lights everywhere. It felt like every road was the Boston Post Rd and you can't get away from the chain restaurants. The apartments we saw there were nicer than what you could get in Stamford for the same price, but you have to pay extra to park your car. Did I mention it was dirty??? Plus everyone that we met there is from somewhere else, and they think because they moved to LA, they are kings and queens. The LA locals were actually the nicest people we met.

The positives were that the weather is awesome and the beaches are GREAT. There are a ton of things to do outdoor in really close distance that blow CT out of the water.

So we might look further out....but for right now I'm not sold on LA......

Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post

I went to LA for a few days and honestly, I hated it. It felt dirty, there are traffic lights everywhere. It felt like every road was the Boston Post Rd and you can't get away from the chain restaurants. The apartments we saw there were nicer than what you could get in Stamford for the same price, but you have to pay extra to park your car. Did I mention it was dirty??? Plus everyone that we met there is from somewhere else, and they think because they moved to LA, they are kings and queens. The LA locals were actually the nicest people we met.

The positives were that the weather is awesome and the beaches are GREAT. There are a ton of things to do outdoor in really close distance that blow CT out of the water.

Did you look further out? Unfortunately what you described is why I'm not a huge fan of LA proper. The suburbs are great. You can head up to "The Valley" and check out Encino, Woodland Hills, Calabasas, etc. Those are all nicer, quieter areas and not a bad commute to LA. That said, your AC bill will be higher in the summer months because it gets hot. You can also go out the Pasadena/Arcadia way and it gets much less congested and rents are cheaper.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:13 PM

698 posts, read 960,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post

I went to LA for a few days and honestly, I hated it. It felt dirty,

LA is not my cup of tea, prefer northern CA, and the air quality is bad in LA, smog is horrible.
I agree with the previous poster, look farther out. Maybe you could stay at one of those extended stay hotels for a few weeks while you look around for a place.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:27 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Did you look further out? Unfortunately what you described is why I'm not a huge fan of LA proper. The suburbs are great. You can head up to "The Valley" and check out Encino, Woodland Hills, Calabasas, etc. Those are all nicer, quieter areas and not a bad commute to LA. That said, your AC bill will be higher in the summer months because it gets hot. You can also go out the Pasadena/Arcadia way and it gets much less congested and rents are cheaper.
I agree the OP should look further out but commuting from the Valley to LA proper is like commuting by car from Fairfield to Stamford. Not fun at all. I suggest the OP post his questions on the Los Angeles forum where he can get more responses. Jay

Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 AM

14 posts, read 14,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree the OP should look further out but commuting from the Valley to LA proper is like commuting by car from Fairfield to Stamford. Not fun at all. I suggest the OP post his questions on the Los Angeles forum where he can get more responses. Jay
He is right. Valley will be really hard to commue in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut