Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:01 PM

30 posts, read 47,147 times

Advertisements

My husband's work is in Danbury, and we are looking for city/town to move to with good school district, family oriented, friendly neighbors, and preferably within 30 mins drive to Danbury? 3/4 bedroom homes for no more than 500-700k? We are not looking for those super wealthy towns but some upper-middle-class towns?

Any suggestions help! Thanks!

Last edited by Behamama; 03-05-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 PM

678 posts, read 847,583 times
There's no city around Danbury that fits your description. Gonna have to settle with a town. I recommend these in the following order:

1- Newtown
2- Brookfield
3- New Fairfield
4- New Milford
5- Bethel

Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,962,967 times
Ridgefield is a nice town and you can find some homes in the 500-700 range. It's mostly an upper class town, but there is some nice housing that is moderately priced (well, moderate for Fairfield County). There are a lot of family activities in and around town, and the schools are excellent.

166 Shadow Lake Rd, Ridgefield, CT 06877 is For Sale - Zillow

74 Old Ridgebury Rd, Danbury, CT 06810 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
There's no city around Danbury that fits your description. Gonna have to settle with a town. I recommend these in the following order:

1- Newtown
2- Brookfield
3- New Fairfield
4- New Milford
5- Bethel
Thanks FutureTown!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Ridgefield is a nice town and you can find some homes in the 500-700 range. It's mostly an upper class town, but there is some nice housing that is moderately priced (well, moderate for Fairfield County). There are a lot of family activities in and around town, and the schools are excellent.

166 Shadow Lake Rd, Ridgefield, CT 06877 is For Sale - Zillow

74 Old Ridgebury Rd, Danbury, CT 06810 is For Sale - Zillow
Thanks NewJeffCT. We are new to CT, so still trying to learn about the surrounding areas. I have heard that ridgefield is nice in terms of the socioeconomic status and school districts, how are the people? Do they welcome newcomers since it is a small town?

Old 03-05-2014, 07:48 PM

Honestly, I'd rank Ridgefield and Wilton higher than Newtown, but they are quite expensive. You can do real well with 600k in the five towns I mentioned, but Ridgefield/Wilton, you MAY do well, but never real well. If you want up your budget a bit, then I will change my recommendation to Ridgefield as well. Amazing schools, especially their high school.

I should add that all towns are welcoming around the Greater Danbury area. I've never had a problem, to be honest.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Honestly, I'd rank Ridgefield and Wilton higher than Newtown, but they are quite expensive. You can do real well with 600k in the five towns I mentioned, but Ridgefield/Wilton, you MAY do well, but never real well. If you want up your budget a bit, then I will change my recommendation to Ridgefield as well. Amazing schools, especially their high school.

I should add that all towns are welcoming around the Greater Danbury area. I've never had a problem, to be honest.
Thanks FutureTown! I will definitely look into Ridgefield And the 5 towns you mentioned. What do you think about Redding? Is that even more expensive? I found some homes in the upper 700k but still learning about its culture.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:01 PM

Redding is a GREAT place. Honestly, all these suggestions made are terrific. Personally speaking, Redding is too woodsy for my tastes and it is slightly off-path from the major highway (I-84). Those are my only gripes with Redding. If I recall correctly, Redding sits below and east of Danbury, which kinda puts in an awkward spot, in my opinion, lol!

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the school system of Redding, but, I do have some family friends that live in Redding and their kids went to the schools. Needless to say, they turned out real well.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 PM

You are right, it is a bit far from the I-84.

Is Danbury really that bad? We are living here now temporarily, and I just feel like Danbury has a bad rep. I actually enjoy being close to the mall and whole foods, also it's like in the middle of everything. However, the rating on Danbury's school district concerns me....

Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Not sure why you'd rank Bethel below NM. The schools are better performing and it's generally a more desirable town. Also, Brookfield and New Fairfield are nice towns with the best performing schools, but there's little to nothing to do in either town - unless you're into lake sports. Bethel at least has a charming downtown with events, shops, restaurants and is also more convenient to down county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut