Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
2) If your friend truly spent less than $20k for a vinyl-lined pool, please provide more details and/or PM me. I got several quotes a couple of years ago for pools and it seemed like I couldn't get anything done for under $30k, and I wasn't looking to put in anything huge. Seriously, please do let me know who your friend used.

x2 -- please DM me too -- I would love to have that company come out to give an estimate. thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
My parents recently got quotes and gunite was at least 50% most costly than vinyl. A friend spent under $20k total for a small liner pool in the last few years. If indeed the cost is nearly identical, I can't imagine why anyone would get a liner pool considering vinyl allows for less flexibility in design and size/shape, is more easily damaged, is less attractive, and is perceived as low-rent.
Sorry but I don't think your friend spent that little unless they did a lot of the work themselves. There are a lot of different levels of quality but even the cheapest and lowest quality in ground I found when looking around was in the upper 20's to low 30's and then they hit you with a lot of extras that up the cost. A good quality liner pool runs in the upper 30's to low 40's which is about what the cheapest gunite pool runs. Better gunite pools run in the 40's and up depending on how elaborate you want to make it. And then on top of this you need to add in landscaping costs (since your yard gets distroyed), patio costs, fencing and any of a host of othere items you may want to add. It adds up very quickly. Jay

Old 04-07-2014, 05:26 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
x2 -- please DM me too -- I would love to have that company come out to give an estimate. thx!
I thought about you folks today when i saw a ridiculously low $$$ permit for an inground pool. Normally, the permit listings that i see are ~$50K for an inground. I saw one for $20K today. Perhaps it's someone's relative that the company is doing the job for? Or maybe the homeowner is doing some of the work? I have no idea.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:52 PM

492 posts, read 487,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
While looking for houses in West hartford and Cheshire, we are finding some very good houses with swimming pools. Till now I always believed that it is useless to have outdoor swimming pools in the home property in the north-east country due to the cold weather for about 6 months.
I would like the everybody's opinion whether an outdoor pool adds to the value of the house?
Also most importantly, what is the cost of maintaining an outdoor pool in your home property. It would be very nice if someone could give a detailed cost analysis-including cost of chemicals, cost of closing and opening the pool at the end of seasons, the cost of cleaning pool and the cost of filling it up.
If you are getting 2 similar houses at roughly the same price, but one having a pool, would you prefer to buy the house with the pool. Personally I dont get excited with the pool as I get dissuaded by thinking of the costs of maintenance, but then one starts thinking why not buy the one with an extra feature at the same price.

Thankyou in advance for your suggestions.
Hello Friends,

Thank you for your inputs regarding swimming pools in homes.
I would like to pose the same question in another way now.
We have seen a home in 400's which has a large vinyl pool (may be about 25x15 ft or larger) and the pool area is fenced.
We like the home a lot because of the location but the pool is an eyesore as it is using all the back yard and what all is left of the house is side yard. Also, we are not prepared to spend on the utility costs of the pool. The pool's heater doesn't work. With the kind of weather in CT at present, I personally think its not a pocket friendly decision to have a pool.
Do you think its a wise decision to think of buying the house and then plan to close/ shut down the pool and landscape the backyard again? How much do you think it costs to eliminate the pool? And how easy or difficult it is….considering that I am not a handy man. Do we expect to get any relief in property tax if we do so as it has a relatively high property tax?
The house is on market for some time because its been priced high…I do expect the house to get at its true market value because the owners apparently are eager as they are relocating, but do not expect any adjustment in price due to pool.

I know it may sound stupid…but we really like the location and neighborhood.
Your inputs will be appreciated

Old 06-04-2014, 06:09 PM

Regarding tax savings, I think it would be minimal -- you can check out this link though and try to estimate: find the town, then look up the street address. Check the field card to see what value the town assigned to the pool. It might include both an appraised and assessed value -- You want to look at the assessed number. Multiply the assessed number by the town's mill rate. The product will be your yearly tax savings. Vision Government Solutions

Old 06-04-2014, 06:14 PM

I do agree that tax savings may be minimal. The concern is how easy is it to shut down the pool and landscape the yard…the cost and stress implications involved..and whether it is worth it..we will not get any adjustment in the price of the house

Old 06-04-2014, 06:21 PM

Oops, Yes, vision appraisal doesn't cover Cheshire - I think total valuation does. Here, try this link: eQuality - Town Information
Not sure if total valuation provides the same info that vision appraisal does, but it should. Good luck

Old 06-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Unfortunately it does not give a break up of valuation for outbuildings..any way..we can guess from it…the total savings in property tax may be between 300-500 $

Old 06-04-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
Unfortunately it does not give a break up of valuation for outbuildings..any way..we can guess from it…the total savings in property tax may be between 300-500 $
Yep, that is kind of what I was thinking. Good luck filling it in, if that's what you decide to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut