Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 06:56 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Good god, really? Thanks for your soliloquy, much appreciated
Well, you're being ridiculous. More and more people from all walks of life are coming forward and talking about their own or family member's battle with addiction. The CDC and FDA have revisited the use of opioids, while police departments and local governments are holding forums left and right about how to combat this locally. Yet you still think one's addiction is much ado about nothing and addicts can simply stop cold turkey.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:13 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Yet you still think one's addiction is much ado about nothing and addicts can simply stop cold turkey.
If anyone actually thinks someone with an addiction problem can stop cold turkey.... they are a moron..

Old 05-08-2016, 08:45 AM

21,761 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Well, you're being ridiculous. More and more people from all walks of life are coming forward and talking about their own or family member's battle with addiction. The CDC and FDA have revisited the use of opioids, while police departments and local governments are holding forums left and right about how to combat this locally. Yet you still think one's addiction is much ado about nothing and addicts can simply stop cold turkey.
Most people I knew that overdosed were clean for a while and then went back to it. Seems to be a pattern.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:48 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Most people I knew that overdosed were clean for a while and then went back to it. Seems to be a pattern.
Relapsing after being clean is a vicious cycle and goes to show that regardless of how long someone is clean for, their body still begs for their drug of choice. It's a sad thing.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:58 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Which goes to show what a dangerous physical addiction it is. Look at Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Clean for 22 years.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:00 AM

From: Heroin overdose: How much amount of heroin to OD? | Addiction Blog

Quote:
Additionally, tolerance typically decreases after a period of abstinence. If this occurs and the user takes a dose comparable to their previous use, the user may experience drug effects that are much greater than expected, potentially resulting in a dangerous overdose.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:00 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
A teenager who breaks multiple bones in an accident and is prescribed pain killers by "a doctor" for substantial pain is not thinking they are making a bad choice to take the "medicine" the doctor prescribed for that purpose. If the result is that the instructions, dosage or the medicine itself is likely to result in a high level of subsequent addiction then regulations, formulation and substitution of other medicines need to take place to address this problem. If a profit margin or financial cost savings is the overriding factor in what to do then we have a bigger problem.
None of the druggie kids in my school got "hooked" by a legitimate medical prescription. not one.

That being said, I had no idea the problem was this bad. Kids weren't dying from it 10 years ago in HSs. They just grew up to be loser POS, but the types of kids doing it were the ones you expected to become loser POS anyway. The term "epidemic" (if not a medi tramp word) implies the problem is crossing the barrier from your typical troubled kids to little Susie who is planning to study pre-law at Georgetown. Unlike the crack epidemic, there doesn't appear to be a lot of associated violence and gang activity, so not sure how much policing will be able to solve either. The border states need to keep this stuff from coming in. If heroin becomes rare, it becomes expensive. If it becomes cost prohibitive over prescription drugs, now we are back in control of the situation.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
None of the druggie kids in my school got "hooked" by a legitimate medical prescription. not one.
Maybe it's a newer issue? No one I know that was into it got hooked via prescription drugs either, but I graduated in the early 2000's.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:07 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Maybe it's a newer issue? No one I know that was into it got hooked via prescription drugs either, but I graduated in the early 2000's.
Mid 2000 here. It was available, but perceived as a sleeze ball drug like crack. Prescription drugs were starting to become popular (oxy- and such) but again only among your stereotypical groups. Far from epidemic and deaths etc. kids coked out cramming for SATs would at least have logic behind it, this heroin/prescription drug thing is just meaningless and destructive.

The one person I knew closely that got addicted to heroin tore his family apart. He caused so much stress it was so awful. His family were good people, but as an individual, he was always into one drug or another it was just heroin that got him for good. He will be on symboxone (sp?) for the rest of his life unles something better comes out.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Nearly all addicts Im familiar with (who graduated HS from '09-15) started off with a prescription for a painkiller. All except one.

I guess it could be a "newer" issue. I'm not sure how it compares to those who graduated in the mid 00s.

Bottom line is doctors who liberally write scripts are very much to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut