Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:52 PM

55 posts, read 136,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Totally agree, in Europe you have 30 days vacation, here if you get a week or two is a big woopdi doo. same with maternity leave in the states-also very pathetic, I guess USA treats their citizens like robots, work work work .
Okay, you have to understand it is a whoop-ti-doo when that's all you're used to...it's just like it's a big whoop-ti-doo to see 2 story Walmart's or Target's that have shopping cart escalator's (I still haven't seen one)--when it's been old hat in Europe for years...since that is where the "concept" technology originally came from!

More ignorant American news...
I read a story the other day about a Swedish technology executive who was being interviewed for an upcoming magazine story on the "Nordic model." He said a confused American colleague turned to him on a visit to the Swedish capital and asked, “What’s up with all the gay nannies?” Being American and being a man...he had no clue or idea of the generous 2 month Paternity Leave Law, that Sweden gives to new (mothers and) fathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Totally agree, in Europe you have 30 days vacation, here if you get a week or two is a big woopdi doo. same with maternity leave in the states-also very pathetic, I guess USA treats their citizens like robots, work work work .
My company does not distinguish between vacation/personal/or sick days. All time off is classified as PTO (paid time off) days. I'm up to 30 PTO days a year (which is the max -- you start at 25 and then max out a few years later at 30). Personally I think it's borderline too many days. It's not like I'm going to take 6 separate 1 week vacations throughout the year, plus you don't want to use them all too early just in case you actually do get sick later in the year. The past two years I wound up banking a bunch of days. This year I'm thinking of maybe taking one day a week off during July and August. Not sure what else to do with them. Lol!

Old 04-12-2014, 01:47 AM

109 posts, read 136,209 times
After growing up in NHCT, I moved to South FL. at age 43, spending nearly 17 years there before relocating to CA. (a questionable upgrade). It was pleasant enough, however after a while it kind of wears on you. I was just yearning for things like hills/mountains, (the highest point in South Florida is the dump or the Golden Glades I -95 Interchange), walks in a forest like Sleeping Giant especially in Autumn, proximity to real cities like NYC & Boston, fantastic restaurants, Apizza, Italian Bread & Pastries, Hummel Hot Dogs, fireplaces, Yale football, Toad's Place, Black Eye'd Sally's...(geez I miss The Shaboo!) ....something other than a checkerboard pattern layout of roads for motorcycling (you'd think So. FL. would be a great place to have a motorcycle...guess again ).... and I can't believe I'm saying this... even snow... Ct. has got a lot of problems to be sure but South FL. is ABSOLUTELY not the remedy(especially if you have school age children!). If you dig the beaches it's fun, but after a while ya gotta get back to something that has more physical diversity. In fairness, other parts of FL. are much more interesting. I gotta say at heart I'm still a CT. kid. The bonus for me in South FL.....I learned to speak Spanish.... so keep an open mind and heart, it's all what you make of it! Life's a journey ...enjoy the ride!

Old 04-12-2014, 05:41 AM

A quick 2 hour plane ride on Southwest back to CT (and stay for 48 hours) can instantly cure all that you think you miss about CT! I felt so sick to my stomach as we approached Bradley Int'l. No matter how much in million dollar upgrades they believed they spent--that airport still looks like it's a throwback to 1943! It's an embarrassment. Either former governor O'neil lied or the contractor lied on what was actually done and spent. Okay...then you get in your car and are reminded again why you love South Florida: driving on these horrendous roads...and seeing just how dead it looks up here. It's enough to see you returning to the airport screaming to fly 2 hours back in the opposite direction!

Old 04-12-2014, 05:44 AM

Yes, I love Connecticut. It's a great place to visit for 48 hours. I just don't want to be forced to live here.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:30 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
I'm pretty sure that if people were migrating to America for their first time ever, they would not choose to settle in CT. More people would choose FL.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:46 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm pretty sure that if people were migrating to America for their first time ever, they would not choose to settle in CT. More people would choose FL.
There isn't a doubt in my mind.

It seems like most people who move to Connecticut are New Yorkers from NYC/Westchester who want newer, more spacious, slightly cheaper homes with bigger backyards and lower property taxes.

Furthermore, it seems like most of the people who love Connecticut are natives who've lived most--if not all--of their lives in the state.

Contrast that with neighboring/nearby states (specifically NY, NJ, PA, & RI) where it seems like most natives trash-talk their home states to no avail and rarely--if ever--have a good thing to say about their states. I suppose it's a good thing most CT natives don't really do that.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:08 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
There isn't a doubt in my mind.

It seems like most people who move to Connecticut are New Yorkers from NYC/Westchester who want newer, more spacious, slightly cheaper homes with bigger backyards and lower property taxes.

Furthermore, it seems like most of the people who love Connecticut are natives who've lived most--if not all--of their lives in the state.
Not true at all.. if you paid attention to the whole thread youll see much off the positive feedback about Ct comes from residents like myself who haved lived in multiple states. As for myself, Ive lived in RI, NY, CT, FL and California. I am not geographically limited by my career. I literally can live whereever I want in the world as long as I am OK with the commute to the airport, and I still CHOOSE Connecticut.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:40 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Not true at all.. if you paid attention to the whole thread youll see much off the positive feedback about Ct comes from residents like myself who haved lived in multiple states. As for myself, Ive lived in RI, NY, CT, FL and California. I am not geographically limited by my career. I literally can live whereever I want in the world as long as I am OK with the commute to the airport, and I still CHOOSE Connecticut.
That's odd, especially when California, Florida, and New York offer so much more than Connecticut.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:58 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
That's odd, especially when California, Florida, and New York offer so much more than Connecticut.
What does Florida offer besides a beach and a lot of heat and humidity? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut