Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 10:45 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,161 times

Advertisements

Living on the west coast is kind of overpriced and far from the information flow of the northeast corridor. Things move slowly, things close early, real estate is more expensive, and suicide rate is higher than on the east coast.
And you don't get 4 distinct seasons there either

California coast gets year/round temperate weather, Pacific Northwest gets 10 months of cold rain and 2 good summer months.

Connecticut is a small state but you aren't restricted to it...you can drive to other states quite easily from Connecticut. Certainly not bored here. All I need to do if I am is drive to New York or Boston for the day.

West Coast has nuttier people and California laws punish nothing and everything at the same time. It's like almost anything is illegal and banned and yet nothing is enforced and so they can prosecute what they want when they feel like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 10:47 AM

267 posts, read 447,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
No I haven't, but would like to. Although, Portland seems like hipster central. And the pacific northwest rains way too much, it seems. Also, everyone out there is tall compared to here. I'm short and wouldn't fit in.

Last year, when I took a cross country road trip and eventually came back home to CT, it literally felt like I went in a time warp back to the 1950's. It really changes your perspective, after you've seen the rest of the nation, which has modern infrastructure, new construction, younger populations and nonconformist mentalities.
I guess im just an old soul

Old 04-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Living on the west coast is kind of overpriced and far from the information flow of the northeast corridor. Things move slowly, things close early, real estate is more expensive, and suicide rate is higher than on the east coast.
And you don't get 4 distinct seasons there either

California coast gets year/round temperate weather, Pacific Northwest gets 10 months of cold rain and 2 good summer months.

Connecticut is a small state but you aren't restricted to it...you can drive to other states quite easily from Connecticut. Certainly not bored here. All I need to do if I am is drive to New York or Boston for the day.

West Coast has nuttier people and California laws punish nothing and everything at the same time. It's like almost anything is illegal and banned and yet nothing is enforced and so they can prosecute what they want when they feel like it.
Yup. CT has all of the things I like.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
Yup. CT has all of the things I like.
The only reason I am so vocal about my preference of living in Connecticut is once enough people move out and the insurance companies start relocating to Florida, everything else will disappear and it will become the empty state with no money in it. That would be awful

And no it won't mean the solution is to move. It will mean the end of a cultural heritage never to be retraced again. It will be everybody living in Florida crowding the fast food.

So you will have 2-hour waits at Taco Bell in Florida, dirty germ-infested yellow fungus swimming pools, sprawl and sprawl and sprawl and more sprawl, and $1,000 tickets to Disney

Last edited by EricS39; 04-02-2014 at 11:18 AM..

Old 04-02-2014, 11:05 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Exactly. I can't stand old money and families. It is a boring state really.
Have you considered Massachusetts?

Old 04-02-2014, 11:19 AM

You know you love wearing a suit and tie and choked button/down shirt in 94 degrees with 80 degree dewpoints and dripping armpits, runny itchy nose, lots of bugs, those needle things in the grass that stick to your socks, half the year with crowds and crowds and hoards of conservative people smoking cigarettes, mixed with parking garage asbestos, and 82 degrees and 90% humidity at 1AM with

yellowish-green mold coating dripping down the white towel you put out on the clothesline to dry...with a little bird poop on the other side of it

And no basements in Florida either. Water is 3 feet under the pavement.

In summer, swimming pools turn green...not glacial emerald green! Green from yellow algae bacteria growing on the walls of the pool. You then have to spike it with tons of chlorine to kill the algae. And a sea lice parasite forms in the warm hurricane-friendly Atlantic Ocean and Gulf, which itches your skin for weeks after you wade in that water.

Mornings are sunny and so hazy you drip and also get a blistering sun poisoning burn. Then the sky does a 180 and gets extremely dark gray, with lightning and thunder and it pours and the water floods and then it sticks to the ground from the humidity and it becomes very very very sticky. The only cool down you will get is when you are absolutely soaked, when it's still 82 degrees with 100% humidity but once the rain stops it will go back up to 90 degrees instantly.

Last edited by EricS39; 04-02-2014 at 11:29 AM..

Old 04-02-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
The only reason I am so vocal about my preference of living in Connecticut is once enough people move out and the insurance companies start relocating to Florida, everything else will disappear and it will become the empty state with no money in it. That would be awful

And no it won't mean the solution is to move. It will mean the end of a cultural heritage never to be retraced again. It will be everybody living in Florida crowding the fast food.

So you will have 2-hour waits at Taco Bell in Florida, dirty germ-infested yellow fungus swimming pools, sprawl and sprawl and sprawl and more sprawl, and $1,000 tickets to Disney
Im vocal because I want the sprawl to halt in CT. The last thing I ever want is for this state to remotely resemble Florida from a development standpoint.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
Im vocal because I want the sprawl to halt in CT. The last thing I ever want is for this state to remotely resemble Florida from a development standpoint.
Then CT will be left in the dust economically. No sprawl = no growth = less talent = less jobs.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Have you considered Massachusetts?
Yes. I like Mass, but wouldn't want to live in the Boston area, since I'm not a city person. I like western MA though. Not sure about Worcester.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 PM

According to Amplicate.com, 63% of people love Florida and only 37% of people love CT. Sounds pretty accurate to me.

FL: Why Do People Love Florida? 63% People Do (143,726 opinions)

CT: Why Do People Love Connecticut? 37% People Do (3,545 opinions)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut