Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:50 PM

173 posts, read 218,999 times

Advertisements

There's a chance I'll be working in mid-town and my SO will be working in Fairfield. Ideally, we'd like to rent for a year to see how things go in terms of the commute and the area. We could afford around $1700. Preferably a 2-bedroom apt somewhere between Fairfield and the city and close to a train. Any recommendations for a down-to-earth area (middle to upper-middle-class), good schools, safe, etc.? I know CT is incredibly expensive, but any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 02:00 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,231,833 times
I think Stamford is your best bet, but I doubt you'll get what you want for $1700. You can try Norwalk but the commute to Midtown will be longer.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:06 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
If you choose to live in Stamford under this situation, I would feel bad for the person who has to commute to NYC. They'll have a much longer commute than the person going to Fairfield will. Trains take a long time (waiting, walking, stopping, etc.), despite people advocating them. And the Metro North isn't that reliable, either.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
If you choose to live in Stamford under this situation, I would feel bad for the person who has to commute to NYC. They'll have a much longer commute than the person going to Fairfield will. Trains take a long time (waiting, walking, stopping, etc.), despite people advocating them. And the Metro North isn't that reliable, either.
I agree with you that the train is a hassle and it's definitely not for me, however almost 300,000 people ride Metro North daily (busiest commuter rail in the nation), and it's very, very reliable. The trains are almost always on time, and if they're late, it's usually only by 10 minutes - and even on those days, it's usually snowing which means it would take you much longer to drive.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:18 PM

468 posts, read 709,265 times
Stamford to NYC on the train isn't really that bad. At least it's somewhat predictable, compared to any car commute on 95 in FFC, where even a reverse commute is routinely hellish. And you can get work done, read, or relax on the train. That said, your budget is way low for a decent 2-bedroom in Stamford close to the train. Norwalk might be a better bet. Or revising aspirations downward to a one-bedroom.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:24 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
Stamford to NYC on the train isn't really that bad. At least it's somewhat predictable, compared to any car commute on 95 in FFC, where even a reverse commute is routinely hellish. And you can get work done, read, or relax on the train. That said, your budget is way low for a decent 2-bedroom in Stamford close to the train. Norwalk might be a better bet. Or revising aspirations downward to a one-bedroom.
I'm sorry, but commuting from Stamford to NYC by train sounds like the most hassle-tacular commute possible in the U.S. The commute goes like this:

(1) Drive to the station and find parking.
(2) Wait for the train to arrive, in the frigid weather.
(3) Ride the train for a while, with one or more stops along the way.
(4) Walk out of the train and navigate your way out to the street or shuttle in Gran Central.
(5) Walk for up to 10 minutes in the freezing cold.

vs.

(1) Drive from home to work and find parking.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but commuting from Stamford to NYC by train sounds like the most hassle-tacular commute possible in the U.S. The commute goes like this:

(1) Drive to the station and find parking. 10 min.
(2) Wait for the train to arrive, in the frigid weather. 5 min.
(3) Ride the train for a while, with one or more stops along the way. 50 min.
(4) Walk out of the train and navigate your way out to the street or shuttle in Gran Central. 3 min.
(5) Walk for up to 10 minutes in the freezing cold. 10 min.

vs.

(1) Drive from home to work and find parking. 2 hr. with traffic.
78 min. vs. 120 min.

Train > Driving

Old 04-11-2014, 02:34 PM

468 posts, read 709,265 times
Quote:

(1) Drive to the station and find parking.
(2) Wait for the train to arrive, in the frigid weather.
(3) Ride the train for a while, with one or more stops along the way.
(4) Walk out of the train and navigate your way out to the street or shuttle in Gran Central.
(5) Walk for up to 10 minutes in the freezing cold.

vs.

(1) Drive from home to work and find parking.
I'm pretty sure the most "hassle-tacular" commutes in the U.S. are the ones where you sit in stop and go traffic for hours to travel a relatively short distance with nothing but the radio to entertain you, no reliable way to predict your travel time, while wasting hours and hours of your time accomplishing nothing.

Commutes all suck. Train commutes included. But generally, they suck less than driving, at least in FFC. My friend was reverse commuting by car from Stamford to New Haven recently and literally went on anti-anxiety medication because the commute was killing her.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:07 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
I've taken Metro North at least once a week for the last 6 months and it's consistently late, even on good weather days. It used to be more reliable. Usually it's 6-12 minutes behind when it is late. Thursday was one of the first times it was on time for me both ways.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:56 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,172,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
78 min. vs. 120 min.

Train > Driving
There is no way it is 78 minutes door to door from Stamford. I make it to 51st and Park in under 80 every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut