Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 11:24 AM

209 posts, read 247,799 times

Advertisements

so i posted a while back about some properties for sale condos, but now my fi and i are thinking about going the rental route for a year or two in an apartment. we are getting married in june and put off trying to find a place i called carabetta beacuse they work off income but they have a waiting list

i am not sure how carabetta works i know they base it off your income but my credit history is not that great at all i have bad credit but i have been paying my bills on time but it takes forever to rebuild your credit but my fiances credit is spotless we both work full time he has 2 jobs that are full time one is during the college school year and the other is during the summer. and my job is full time year round. on the app the ask you all kinds of questions i really dont want to put my info down if they are going to a do a credit check and deny us i feel if my fiance just put himself down on the application we would have a better chance at getting an apartment any thoughts on that? someone told me to list my name and my social but that i was a full time student?

the max we want to spend on a rent is 750 i know that is kinda low but what we can both comfortably afford middletown would be ideal i work in new britain he works in middletown but in the summer works in maddision so its close.

we would be open to meriden and say cromwell but doubt we would find anything in cromwell in the price range we are looking for

we would idealy like heat and hot water included.

ct rents are expensive but i know we could find something

anyone have any suggestions on places to look at

we want to move in by the end of may

carabetta has a waiting list but the women said things open all the time she did ask for my min and max rent and i told her 750 was max but 800 would be stretching it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:43 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Isn't Carabetta going out of the low income rents and moving to market rents ?

Have you tried the Middleton Housing Authority ?

Public Housing

Locations

Old 03-26-2014, 04:22 PM

91 posts, read 125,664 times
Wilcox has a one-bedroom in your range.
Middletown Connecticut Apartments for Rent: The Wilcox

I've never been there, but I think it's loft-style.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:38 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreliroth View Post
Wilcox has a one-bedroom in your range.
Middletown Connecticut Apartments for Rent: The Wilcox

I've never been there, but I think it's loft-style.
540sq is tiny for a 1 bedroom.

Also, those don't include heat/hw so that adds a couple hundred bucks a month eletric bill every month during winter. Many landlords will lie and say it's 50 bucks, which is total crap.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyechica View Post
so i posted a while back about some properties for sale condos, but now my fi and i are thinking about going the rental route for a year or two in an apartment. we are getting married in june and put off trying to find a place i called carabetta beacuse they work off income but they have a waiting list

i am not sure how carabetta works i know they base it off your income but my credit history is not that great at all i have bad credit but i have been paying my bills on time but it takes forever to rebuild your credit but my fiances credit is spotless we both work full time he has 2 jobs that are full time one is during the college school year and the other is during the summer. and my job is full time year round. on the app the ask you all kinds of questions i really dont want to put my info down if they are going to a do a credit check and deny us i feel if my fiance just put himself down on the application we would have a better chance at getting an apartment any thoughts on that? someone told me to list my name and my social but that i was a full time student?

the max we want to spend on a rent is 750 i know that is kinda low but what we can both comfortably afford middletown would be ideal i work in new britain he works in middletown but in the summer works in maddision so its close.

we would be open to meriden and say cromwell but doubt we would find anything in cromwell in the price range we are looking for

we would idealy like heat and hot water included.

ct rents are expensive but i know we could find something

anyone have any suggestions on places to look at

we want to move in by the end of may

carabetta has a waiting list but the women said things open all the time she did ask for my min and max rent and i told her 750 was max but 800 would be stretching it.
There's no way for us to know about a specific landlord's credit requirements.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:12 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
I would suggest that your fiance be the one who rents the apartment since his credit rating is good. A landlord will likely only be concerned with his credit rating if they check. Also there are apartments around Middletown in your price range but they will not likely be in a modern apartment complex. Jay

Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Your budget is tough and most rents around here don't include heat and hot water. The apts that do include heat and hot water are usually in old buildings that weren't initially built as multi units. And believe me they will account for that in the rent anyway.

I'm no longer a renter, but when I was I found small local papers had good listings. Two such papers would be,

1. Rare reminder http://www.rarereminder.com/index.php (click on classifieds)
2. Cromwell Chronicle (I don't think they have an online edition, but you can find it at most gas stations in Cromwell.

Rocky Hill has a neighborhood with a lot of duplexes that come up for rent from time to time. A 2bd is advertised now for $850 a month.

Rocky Hill has easy highway access so you can get to Middletown & New Britain quickly.

You can also try this place in Middletown. http://www.showmetherent.rentlinx.co...etown-CT-06457

I don't have any experience with that complex, but they seem to have some of the lowest rents in the area.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Your budget is tough and most rents around here don't include heat and hot water. The apts that do include heat and hot water are usually in old buildings that weren't initially built as multi units. And believe me they will account for that in the rent anyway.
Not necessarily. Electric heat is absolutely outrageous. The landlord can use cheaper heating methods therefore lowering cost(for both him and renter).

Old 03-27-2014, 01:13 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,298 times
we are renting in Middltown for the next month or so till we move south, our rent would be going up to over $1400 for a 2 bedroom on Westlake in one of the newest apt complexes. We should have been long gone but it took a while for me to find a job south of here...can't wait to be a homeowner again in a few months.

Our monthly electric bill is about $70. Gas heat this winter has been about $130 a month, and that has been with constantly running a gas fireplace in our apt as well. last summer/fall electric was about the same, we really didn't run AC too much and gas was very cheap only about $25-30 or so, I guess just for hot water.

Be careful where you rent most of middletown is fine, some parts not so hot.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:56 PM

209 posts, read 247,799 times
So fi filled out application for carabetta his credit is excellent but they wanted my info on the application papers as I am going to live with him.
I had to come down to the office and sign the papers and fill out the rest
I told the lady my credit was ****ty and bad and I said I figured I didn't have to fill it out since he had the good credit she said it matters.

So do you think we will get denied based on my credit being bad?
His is spotless pays his bills on time and has never missed any payments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut