Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:09 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,425,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fish View Post
There are plety of people that are getting off there arse and doing something about it. Why do you think the tax revenue is down?
I was aiming my comment at people on this forum who do nothing but complain about the state but don't ever seem to do anything to change their situation. See every fourth post on this forum for examples of such people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 07:12 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,963,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Nep, both my brothers live in Manhattan

LIVING in New York City for 2 years means most likely you utilized less and less of the city than a traveler or Connecticut resident who comes in on nice weekends sporadically.

This is because the city residents themselves gravitate to their own corner streets. It goes with the saying "You know you are a New Yorker if you've never been to the top of the Empire State Building"

The city if utilized has lots of variety, almost anything you want is in there somewhere. You can hang out in Washington Square for entertainment, or West Village gay street, or go stroll in Central Park, there are meetup.com groups in the city for gay singles

Not sure what you couldn't find. NYC isn't all dirty hole there's a lot in it ...outskirts of the city are dumpy in places and lower east side is decaying ....but still tremendous stuff going on and way more than Houston
Of course when I was younger and lived in NYC, I went out to gay bars and walked around the city, went to many nice restaurants and stuff like that. But it has limited appeal to me.

NYC is simply too crowded, expensive and fast paced for me. I know many people (co-workers, friends) here in Fairfield County that avoid it like the plague, and I'm one of them. The tolls are unbelievable now. It's $7.50 each way in AND out. I know there is an alternate route with maybe only a $5.00 toll in, but still. NYC is simply a hassle to deal with. I like NOT paying tolls and being able to park in a parking lot for free.

In my opinion, if you're a nature-oriented person like me, there is nothing to do in NYC. It's all manmade commercialized "fun" that simply has limited appeal to me. I just don't find it pleasant to be constantly meandering through swarms of pedestrians and being super alert while driving. I hate NYC.

I enjoy thinks like hiking, sightseeing, historical sites and stuff like that.

I can deal with Boston much better, however.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:21 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,963,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
What I don't like about these little "polls" is that these polls give the perception that CT is a place where no one wants to be. From an outsider who wants to set up shop here, seeing that 50% of the population wants to move is not a very good incentive to bring businesses to the State. Who would want to start a business here knowing that people aren't happy and happy people don't spend money. Granted it might be true or it might not be true, either way it's a black eye for CT.
I suppose the premise of the study is to see what percentage of people living in each state have a desire to move out of their state. A barometer of the general satisfaction level of the residents in each state.

But, this study is MISLEADING because it doesn't take into account the percentage of people that DO want to move into CT. I'm going to illustrate with an extreme example here. So, if 49% of CT people want out, that means about 1.8 million CT residents want to leave the state. HOWEVER, let's suppose that 0.6% of the U.S. population outside of CT actually WANTS to move into CT. Well, that would be 1.8 million people wanting to move into CT, which washes out the people who want to leave.

So, this study doesn't really address the question: If all Americans suddenly had the choice to move to wherever they want to live, where would they choose to live? Granted, I doubt many would choose CT, but I think it's safe to say that 0.6% of the U.S. population may want to.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

So, this study doesn't really address the question: If all Americans suddenly had the choice to move to wherever they want to live, where would they choose to live? Granted, I doubt many would choose CT, but I think it's safe to say that 0.6% of the U.S. population may want to.
That would be pretty cool to see, especially in cartograph form. Cali and Hawaii would probably lead.

Another interesting perspective to see would be the percentage of the people that "want to leave" that are transplants and don't like where they moved to. In the end, we are all chasing hope and most of us will never find the "perfect place". A certain percentage of that 49% (and the percent of the other states) are most certainly people who wanted to move here, did, and are not satisfied.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:19 AM

267 posts, read 448,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
That would be pretty cool to see, especially in cartograph form. Cali and Hawaii would probably lead.

Another interesting perspective to see would be the percentage of the people that "want to leave" that are transplants and don't like where they moved to. In the end, we are all chasing hope and most of us will never find the "perfect place". A certain percentage of that 49% (and the percent of the other states) are most certainly people who wanted to move here, did, and are not satisfied.
I think Florida would score high too simply because of the weather and Mickey mouse... Florida is not a good state to reside in. Take a vacation to? Yes. Raise a family in? No way.

CT is a wholesome, safe, and beautiful state. I believe that the lack of easily satisfied residents is what keeps the standard for quality of life so high here.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 AM

730 posts, read 1,304,479 times
And to live in Hawaii you need to be practically printing your own money because the COL is so high; understandable, when virtually everything has to be brought in from various parts of the mainland.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:58 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,062,120 times
In short, redo the survey during peak of autumn foliage

Survey accuracy is diminished by timing and duration of survey, how the questions were phrased, persuasive tone of the caller, how much margin of difference there are between the state rankings

Conclusions to draw from survey would need to consider just because Connecticut residents complain more often doesn't reflect they are more inclined to follow thru, relative to when people down south openly complain. Culture difference. Also someone mentioned a wealthier per capita state contains a people who can move back and forth more often by nature. So then there are pockets of people buried in other states who may be seeking to move back home and survey isn't capturing this.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:00 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,062,120 times
I notice just on this forum alone a higher satisfaction level of living here than just yesterday?

Why? The sun came out

Last edited by EricS39; 05-02-2014 at 09:13 AM..

Old 05-02-2014, 09:04 AM

21,631 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
I believe that the lack of easily satisfied residents is what keeps the standard for quality of life so high here.
Funny you say that. I was talking about this with coworkers yesterday and one made this exact comment. I agree to a point, but I can understand why the elderly move down south. Snow becomes a hassle in old age.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:09 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,019,099 times
CT is a great place to raise a family because the schools are excellent it is in a relatively nice location and the people are friendly.

It also has a lot of wealthy residents so there is a high amount of money available for public projects

Economically we took a turn for the worse starting in the early 90's when we enacted an income tax

We started focusing on social programs and ignored the economy

The only issues people think about are gun control, abortion and climate change

Trying to explain to someone that raising the minimum wage will destroy jobs, which is a proven fact, is like talking to a brick wall.

We keep giving example after example of companies leaving negative GDP etc because of high taxes and all you hear is "yeah but the GOP is racist and we are going to be destroyed by global warming if we allow the Keystone pipeline the rich are evil and we need to save the poor!"

Most people are stupid and this proves it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut