Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 02:53 PM

10 posts, read 21,431 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been offered a job in Stamford, CT and I have been in situation to decide whether to stay in NJ or move to CT near work. But there are lot of factors which I may not know like, Income Tax, Rentals, Commute, Weekend life.

I hope some one can help me answer all questions.

In NJ I am considering to move to North NJ somewhere near Tenafly or Englewood which will make my commute to Stamford about an Hour from Teppan Zee bridge on way. I will be close my NY and also Friends and Family. If I do that I will be paying for Gas and Toll every day and approx I am considering $400-$500 cost. If I do that, how much will my income tax be? How long is commute time approx on peak hours?

In CT, I was looking for rentals and they are quite expensive as well as I saw Gas price is as high as NY. Any suggestion for affordable, safe and lively town near Stamford? How is personal income tax and cost of living in CT as compared to NJ?

If someone is working in CT and living in NJ OR had done in past or living in CT but it's worth living in CT. I would surely consider your advice.

Regards,
RAB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 04:06 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
We can't tell you what your income tax will be as we don't know what your salary is or what you have for deductions.

Life is always easier when you live as close to work as possible. As you know, you will have gas and tolls coming from NJ. You will also have lots more wear and tear on your car. Thus, possibly higher maintenance and rapidly growing miles. Keep in mind, not only the time involved in commuting but the uncertainly of it. You're going to be in some difficult traffic. Any fender bender, any accident on the road, any ongoing construction on the bridge, winter weather, will greatly increase your commuter time.

If you move to CT, you can see family/ friends on weekends and make new friends in this area. Look in Norwalk for rents or for the less expensive of the Stamford rents.

I did a quick search on Google for rentals in Tenafly. NJ rents don't seem very different than Stamford rents. IMO you would better here in CT than the dreadful back and forth to NJ. Good luck

Last edited by willow wind; 05-02-2014 at 04:53 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 04:26 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Can you commute to Stamford by train? Is your office near the train station?

NJ to Stamford would be a frustrating and unpredictable commute.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:23 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I would NEVER live in NJ and commute to Stamford unless I had a good reason. There is nothing in NJ that you can't find closer to your job so I would encourage you to just look for apartments in Stamford or Norwalk. Remember commuting from NJ means you will have to cross the Hudson and the crossings in the morning into NY are very busy.

Without knowing how much you can spend on a rental it is hard to give you advise but you could also consider looking in Fairfield or Bridgeport for a place as well. The commute would certainly be no worse than going from NJ to Stamford. Jay

Old 05-03-2014, 10:21 AM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
I knew a small business owner who lived in Englewood, NJ and commuted to Stamford, CT everyday. It was about 1.5 hours each way for him. From a traffic perspective, the 287 stretch was tough for him, and 95 in/around Stamford gets unpredictable -- especially in the afternoon. Depending on where your workplace is within Stamford, don't forget that getting in/out of the city is also challenging. The closer you are to downtown, the worse it is.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:38 PM

I will be working in Downtown stamford near UBS. I guess you all right, living near work is a more convenient. I am thinking to move to CT.

I hope you all will response on helping me give suggestion for safe neighborhood close to shopping area and other activities around.

I am willing to spend between $1300 to $1500 for rent and looking for 2bd Room apt. I don't have any kids, it will be me and my wife and I will be making 105K. Hope some one can give me feedback on taxes and other cost of living in CT.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Can you commute to Stamford by train? Is your office near the train station?

NJ to Stamford would be a frustrating and unpredictable commute.
Commute by Train won't be possible. yes, office do send shuttle to Stamford Train station.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:48 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab456 View Post
Commute by Train won't be possible. yes, office do send shuttle to Stamford Train station.
You could live in Stratford and take the train if you want to save some money. Or maybe Black Rock in Bridgeport.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
We can't tell you what your income tax will be as we don't know what your salary is or what you have for deductions.

Life is always easier when you live as close to work as possible. As you know, you will have gas and tolls coming from NJ. You will also have lots more wear and tear on your car. Thus, possibly higher maintenance and rapidly growing miles. Keep in mind, not only the time involved in commuting but the uncertainly of it. You're going to be in some difficult traffic. Any fender bender, any accident on the road, any ongoing construction on the bridge, winter weather, will greatly increase your commuter time.

If you move to CT, you can see family/ friends on weekends and make new friends in this area. Look in Norwalk for rents or for the less expensive of the Stamford rents.

I did a quick search on Google for rentals in Tenafly. NJ rents don't seem very different than Stamford rents. IMO you would better here in CT than the dreadful back and forth to NJ. Good luck
I will be working in Downtown stamford near UBS. I guess you all right, living near work is a more convenient. I am thinking to move to CT.

I hope you all will response on helping me give suggestion for safe neighborhood close to shopping area and other activities around.

I am willing to spend between $1300 to $1500 for rent and looking for 2bd Room apt. I don't have any kids, it will be me and my wife and I will be making 105K. Hope some one can give me feedback on taxes and other cost of living in CT.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:00 PM

334 posts, read 438,643 times
CT/Fairfield County is slightly cheaper than living in Bergen County, although gas is cheaper in N.J. and no tax on shoes and clothing.

I would recommend you moving to CT because the Tappan Zee bridge ($5) + an hour commute or more in traffic is a nightmare and adds up in long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut