Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:03 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times

Advertisements

As some of you might remember from posts I made to this forum, my hubby and I are actively trying to relocate back to CT. We are using the typical search engines.. however sometimes my "problem" is putting the search terms in the job search engines.

If I am on a company website, sometimes it's easier, because I'll see a job that sounds interesting that I know I could qualify for, but I didn't think about putting in those keywords.

We are looking to move to the Hartford, CT area. (Might stay in Vernon w/ his mom until we get our own place) so what are some big named companies that I could look at their websites for jobs? I know of some insurance ones in Hartford (The Hartford for example) I looked at Uconn, and they didn't have anything I could do. I basically do administrative type work, office support, etc type of work.

Any help would be appreciated, or if you know your company is good and they are hiring, feel free to PM me the link info. I feel we are stuck in Florida (been here for 6 years) and we just are ready to move back as soon as we can.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 08:18 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
There are a lot of companies big and small. Travelers, United Technologies, PRatt & Whitney, Phoenix, Hartford Steam Boiler, United Health, Aetna, Cigna and Met Life. You could also look at the hospitals like Hartford, St. Francis, Manchester. You likely will have luck looking at smaller companies as well. Look at monster.com or other job websites for postings. Jay

Old 05-17-2014, 09:46 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
You also have Stanleyworks, Gerber Scientific, Prudential Financial, The Hartford Insurance Group, MassMutual in Enfield and right over the border in Springfield, Northeast Utilities/CL&P, ESPN, Alstom Power, Lego in Enfield, Stanadyne, Lydall, GE Consumer & Industrial in Plainville, Colt Manufacturing, Legrand/Wiremold in West Hartford, etc.

There are a lot of mid-sized insurance companies as well - Aspen Re, Guilford Specialty, Connecticare, Discover Re, Lincoln Financial, Phoenix Wealth Management, etc.

Good luck with your search.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There are a lot of companies big and small. Travelers, United Technologies, PRatt & Whitney, Phoenix, Hartford Steam Boiler, United Health, Aetna, Cigna and Met Life. You could also look at the hospitals like Hartford, St. Francis, Manchester. You likely will have luck looking at smaller companies as well. Look at monster.com or other job websites for postings. Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
You also have Stanleyworks, Gerber Scientific, Prudential Financial, The Hartford Insurance Group, MassMutual in Enfield and right over the border in Springfield, Northeast Utilities/CL&P, ESPN, Alstom Power, Lego in Enfield, Stanadyne, Lydall, GE Consumer & Industrial in Plainville, Colt Manufacturing, Legrand/Wiremold in West Hartford, etc.

There are a lot of mid-sized insurance companies as well - Aspen Re, Guilford Specialty, Connecticare, Discover Re, Lincoln Financial, Phoenix Wealth Management, etc.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks Jay & Jeff. Just finished applying to a job at MassMutual. (the location in Springfield) and I decided to get a google voice number too, so now they will see an 860 number and not 813.

Now a days so many people move and keep their numbers, but we ended up getting a new cell phone carrier and just got new numbers. However, anything that can help my chances of getting called, I will take.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:41 PM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
I'm surprised UConn doesn't have an office/administrative position open. We could certainly use nicer administrative folks up there. <_<

Old 05-17-2014, 02:55 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
If you're willing to drive about 45 minutes to an hour, there's Duracell in Bethel. Or BIC or Perkin-Elmer around Shelton.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:53 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
If you're willing to drive about 45 minutes to an hour, there's Duracell in Bethel. Or BIC or Perkin-Elmer around Shelton.
From Vernon to Bethel is a 70 mile drive on 84. If you're going during rush hour, you'd be hitting traffic in both Hartford and Waterbury, not to mention more as you approach Bethel in the Danbury area. I'd say it's at least 90 minutes, if not more.

The same with Shelton. A bit less miles-wise, but you're either going through Hartford and into Waterbury, then taking Route 8 South into Shelton, or else you're going down 91 all the way to New Haven, and then you hit west of New Haven traffic. So, probably another 90 minute drive, though maybe a bit less.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:29 PM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
To be fair, OP did say Hartford Area which could mean West of the river making Fairfield County areas a good call. However, OP already applied to Springfield. I'm guessing she wants to stay in the Hartford area for work as well.

Otherwise, I myself, would have recommended GE.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:10 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
You're missing out on a lot of big companies in other areas by limiting to Hartford area. Not say the Hartford area isn't a good option, but it might benefit you to be open to other areas.

BIC, Duracell, Energizer, GE, Starwood, Subway, Cartus, Alexion, Sikorsky, Assa Abloy, Nestle Waters, UBS, RBS, WWE, Unilever, Boehringer, etc. have major offices in/near Fairfield County.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! There does seem to be a lot more in Fairfield county... however that might be a little too far. Thanks to suggestions on here on another thread I posted about apartments...... we found some in Middletown area that we really like... so I would also consider New Haven county. New Haven is a doable drive from Middletown... from Vernon it is a little far, but would be willing to do it for a short period of time. The reason why I mentioned Vernon was just staying w/ his mom for a month or two until we find a place, so that is why the search area is over in that part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut